The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Tamoxifen
08 Oct 2013, 00:18
When I've finished treatment for breast cancer I will be taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. I know people gain weight on it. I'm wondering if weight gain is due to Tamoxifen or due to the menopause it brings on. I gained weight due to menopause, hence why I started 5:2 end of Jan. I am continuing with 5:2 but I do not wish to put the weight back on. Anyone on here have an opinion on this?
Re: Tamoxifen
08 Oct 2013, 10:51
Hi claireglen

I found this paper by Michelle Harvie and others (she of the Two Day Diet) which found that women taking tamoxifen did not gain any more weight than the control group and even that was only 100g! I think the weight gain, therefore, is due to other factors than the tamoxifen itself.

Good luck with it all!
08 Oct 2013, 11:09
Hi clairglen
I am on Arimidex for breast cancer & have the same issues as you on Tamoxifen. I am struggling to lose the weight I put on & dont know if its due to the meds or age related & Im just blaming the meds.
Be interested to see how weight loss goes on the 5:2 diet on these meds
08 Oct 2013, 12:06
Hi Clairglen
I'm also on Arimidex after my treatment for breast cancer.
I didn't put on weight while I was having all my other treatment -I didn't lose it either but I did put on five kilos once I started the arimidex.
I managed to lose that on a two week shake diet that I had to do before having an op.to fix my hiatus hernia but was putting it on again.That is why I started the five two diet.
What other treatment do you have to have for your breast cancer? Keep cheerful and just remember that you have lots of friends on the forum if things get too tough
08 Oct 2013, 12:40
My Mom is on arimidex and lost weight, about 12 lbs and now is struggling to add a bit back. She started on it at 80 yrs old and has been on it for 4 1/2 years (yay! nearly done!). Her biggest side-effect from it is vaginal dryness (makes her feel like she has a bladder infection). Good luck with your ongoing treatment. :heart:
12 Oct 2013, 17:29
carmelk46 wrote: Hi Clairglen
I'm also on Arimidex after my treatment for breast cancer.
I didn't put on weight while I was having all my other treatment -I didn't lose it either but I did put on five kilos once I started the arimidex.
I managed to lose that on a two week shake diet that I had to do before having an op.to fix my hiatus hernia but was putting it on again.That is why I started the five two diet.
What other treatment do you have to have for your breast cancer? Keep cheerful and just remember that you have lots of friends on the forum if things get too tough

I'm awaiting result (end of next week) of oncotype dx test from USA which will determine whether I should have chemo or not. If I'm at high risk of recurrence I will have it, if not radiotherapy. Will start it week after next then after all treatment finished will start on Tamoxifen.
6 posts Page 1 of 1