The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Thyroid Massage
30 Oct 2013, 21:18
Tracieknits wrote: Well a few weeks after starting doing it three times a week, I started having terribly hyperthyroid symptoms and then I got a blood test which showed my thyroid had gone bonkers.

Tracie, I hope you will take this in the friendly tone that it was intended to be written. I never intended to be "snarky" with you at all. But, what I quoted above was (in my interpretation) you saying that you went from hypo to hyper. That can and does happen and it is what I thought you meant. People who are overweight are most often hypo; so I was assuming by what you said and your BMI that is what you are also. I am not a doctor and my experience and knowledge is limited mostly to HYPOthyroid. I tend to research the one I have more for obvious reasons.

Thyroid massage is intended for people with a sluggish or underactive thyroid. The theory is that you will stimulate your thyroid to produce more hormones. If you are hyper you would not want to do that at all. It would not be a good idea to try to stimulate your thyroid to produce more when it is already producing too much. That is just my opinion; as I said I am not a doctor and things read on a forum on the internet should never be taken as valid medical advice. I have chosen to experiment with this massage knowing that it is most likely to do little or nothing; but in the hopes that it will help and not harm. But, any of those outcomes are a possibility.
30 Oct 2013, 22:27
Thank you for that. I'm sorry if I overreacted! No, I've always been hyper since I was diagnosed (and I lost 40 pounds just from the thyroid, got medicated to normal and gained 20 back, then lost 11 so far on this diet) -- and oddly, my skinny sister went hypo (and gained a bunch of weight). Go figure.

I just probably get too nervous for people. After having undiagnosed hyperthyroid that took almost a year to diagnose, I know first hand how awful you can feel when you're hyper!!!!
03 Nov 2013, 17:42
So, another thing I am noticing now is a pretty substantial improvement in sleep. Today, starts the second week (day 8) of thyroid tapping and massage. My insomnia has been improved on so many levels. I am falling asleep MUCH earlier, staying asleep longer, only waking once during the night. Sleep quality is better and I am waking up earlier in the morning feeling rested instead of run down. This has been happening for several days in a row.

I am a little hesitant to attribute all of that to the massage and tapping. For one thing I didn't do any fasts at all for 10 days while on vacation and the fasts this week have been mediocre at best. My insomnia has always been the worst after a good fast day when I am in ketosis. I don't think I have achieved ketosis on the 2.5 not so great fasts I did this week. So, who knows whether the improved sleep is because of the lack of ketosis and good fasts, due to the massage or maybe even a combination of both.

Whatever the reason, I'll take it!! It is amazing how much better I feel after a few nights of good sleep. Also, I have no plans to stop massaging my thyroid in the off chance that is what has causesd the improvement.
18 posts Page 2 of 2