The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Thyroid Massage
29 Oct 2013, 00:38
So, while I was away on my cruise I met this lady who was telling me about having her thyroid adjusted by her chiropractor. I hadn't ever heard of such a thing...but, since we had no wi-fi and I had plenty of down time to reflect on such things...I started thinking that if a chiropractor could do an adjustment; it was pretty likely an alternative medicine type of healing technique that I could find more info about once I got back to the land of google-ography.

Turns out it is a thing and there was tons of info about tapping on and massaging your thyroid to improve function. On a slightly related topic, I also came across a lot of information on tapping on your thymus to improve your immune system function.

So, I was just wondering if any of you other 5:2 folks have heard of or tried this. I have begun the tapping and massaging and will try to update here again after giving it a little time.
Re: Thyroid Massage
29 Oct 2013, 01:04
Thanks for sharing, did you find anything specific that you could link to?
29 Oct 2013, 02:15
I would never ever ever ever ever have a chiropractor work on my thyroid. It's way too delicate and way too important to too many bodily systems.

Chiropractic care is supposed to be only for the skeleton and muscles and in many states they are prohibited from doing anything else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic
29 Oct 2013, 02:38
Yeah, I'm with you Tracie, I haven't ever been to a chiropractor and don't have any plans to go anytime soon. It was just one of those things somebody said that got me thinking. I think humming, tapping and very gentle massage are things I am willing to try; but adjustments chiropractor style sound like a scary endeavor (and that includes not just the thyroid but spines and muscles for me.)
29 Oct 2013, 09:48
Tracieknits wrote: I would never ever ever ever ever have a chiropractor work on my thyroid. It's way too delicate and way too important to too many bodily systems.

Chiropractic care is supposed to be only for the skeleton and muscles and in many states they are prohibited from doing anything else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic

Lovely new pic Tracie! X
29 Oct 2013, 10:06
Thanks for that tweaker have saved the link and will read it later with a coffee :heart: going for a short walk now as it a very nice day here and I'm back2back fasting :clover: Sue. :clover:
29 Oct 2013, 11:03
Thanks Candice Marie! My husband and I had a lovely evening when that was taken :-)

I actually think a chiropractor touching a gland (something that is beyond the scope of their training and licensing) is scarier to me than an adjustment.

Here's an example of why messing with the thyroid makes me nervous: I joined a gym that had "red light" booths in addition to tanning booths. Red light is supposed to be great for the skin and wrinkles, and apparently was invented as a treatment by NASA for minor chronic pain as well. I thought "hey, it's just light" and being vain, I thought dancing around for 10 minutes in a red light booth wouldn't be a problem. Well a few weeks after starting doing it three times a week, I started having terribly hyperthyroid symptoms and then I got a blood test which showed my thyroid had gone bonkers. Turns out, there is some evidence that just red light can mess up your thyroid!! Who would have thought?
29 Oct 2013, 13:03
@Tracieknits

All of the things that I am doing can influence your thyroid function. I have tried things like diet, exercise, weight loss, sunlight, probiotics, vitamin D supplements, etc. Tapping, massaging and humming are new ones to me as is red light therapy. If it were me in the situation described above, I would be more likely to continue dancing in red light and cut back on the dosage of the expensive pills made of chemical, synthetic hormones. In my way of thinking the red light improved your thyroid function rather than "messed it up." But, I have a tendency and preference toward the homeopathic, natural remedies and it seems that maybe you prefer a prescription from the doctor. No worries. Each to their own. :)
29 Oct 2013, 22:44
So, this is only day three of tapping and massaging; but there is something happening. That something is mucus on the move.

Warning: TMI follows...

This mucus that has been dislodged from the tapping and gentle massage is a shade of neon and a consistency that I have never in all my years seen. :shock: Yikes. :bugeyes: But, if nothing else ever came of this business I would still be happy for giving this a go and causing an exodus of this nasty variety of mucus. I think maybe I feel a little better and can breathe a little easier. Or maybe it is a placebo from seeing all that I have hacked up! Whatever, I'll take it either way.
30 Oct 2013, 00:24
Wow, that's so strange! You must have been shocked... any other changes?
30 Oct 2013, 00:40
Yesterday, my throat was a little hoarse and my voice was hit or miss. I would guess that the mucus was begining to break up. It felt a little bit like that textbook thyroid issue of having food stuck in your throat. But, it was worse than usual and a little more difficult to swallow. Then, as I said before I'm guessing that junk started breaking up enough that I could get it up and out. Good times. LOL.
30 Oct 2013, 17:05
:heart: Right i'm on to this tonight. :heart:
Having returned from my holiday with a throat infection
Antiobiotics finished and a pnd for years all this can only be a good thing for me I'm thinking :clover: Sue. :clover:
30 Oct 2013, 18:37
Awesome, Sue! I hope you post here if/when anything starts happening.

I wasn't expecting the mucus; but I don't see how it could be anything other than good to get that very thick, nasty wad of bacteria out of my throat. I have to wonder how the thyroid could work at all if it was surrounded by that! :bugeyes:
30 Oct 2013, 18:54
43tweaker, I have a HYPERACTIVE thyroid, so yes, a red light speeding it up is very destructive. Not sure why you felt the need to be so incredibly snarky about it. I didn't realize you had a medical degree and knew more than my MD does about treatment for a hyperactive thyroid - which, btw, is a lot more dangerous than an underactive thryoid as it causes cardiac issues.
18 posts Page 1 of 2