The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Type 2 diabetes and 5:2
26 Feb 2013, 13:50
I'm new and haven't actually done my first fast - all systems go for Thursday! I would like my DH to give it a try as well but he is already type 2 diabetic.

He is 44 and has been told by docs he will end up on insulin no matter what.

Firstly, is it ok for him to try 5:2 and if so, could it mean he may end up not needing insulin later in life? I'm trying to dangle the carrot but need to make sure it's safe first!

I know you may not be able to answer the second question as it depends on how he responds and how advanced the diabetes is but would be very grateful for any advice and experiences.
Re: Type 2 diabetes and 5:2
26 Feb 2013, 13:54
Type 2 diabetes has been reversed by diet @ Newcastle University.

I would say it will help him, but should check with doc esp if on medication that may need tweaking.
Re: Type 2 diabetes and 5:2
26 Feb 2013, 14:01
Dr M says 5:2 is fine for Type 2 diabetes but yes, check about meds. Fasting and weight loss will reduce the insulin resistance that is characteristic of Type 2 diabetes. If the pancreas is still able to produce insulin, the improved glucose metabolism and lowered insulin resistance will certainly protect against needing insulin injections. My cousin was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a year ago. She has followed the low GL approach advocated by Patrick Holford, done loads of exercise and lost lots of weight. Her blood pressure is right down and she is now off all meds both for diabetes and for blood pressure. So, I would certainly recommend 5:2 for your husband and if combined with a low GL approach on feed days he should see great improvements.
3 posts Page 1 of 1