The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

3 posts Page 1 of 1
sub clinical hypothyroidism
02 Apr 2013, 09:46
My thyroid is sub clinically hypo and reading through the thyroid posts it looks as though fasting does not restore thyroid function, although there seems to be a reduction in medication for those people who lose a fair bit of weight, but I gather that the standard medication, usually thyroxine, is calculated by your body weight, so that makes sense. Does anyone know of any studies done to see if having to start on meds. can be postponed or even halted by fasting for people like me who are hurtling towards hypothyroidism?
I am already taking meds for BP (high) and beta-blockers (heart). I am losing weight on this WOL and feel so much better physically. I went for brisk wintry walk this morning along the banks of the river Forth and I feel lighter, more of a spring in my step and want to keep losing those pounds! From what I have gleaned from this forum losing weight becomes horribly difficult once you start taking thyroxine so I hope I can put off the evil day as long a possible!
Re: sub clinical hypothyroidism
02 Apr 2013, 15:58
Hi dhana

I think that fasting followed by feasting is less likely to worsen your thyroid function than simple calorie restriction.

My understanding from the posts by other hypothyroid folk is that the thyroxine doesn't help weightloss rather than making it harder (might be wrong there).

Fasting for longer than a day or two is likely to worsen thyroid function. So I would be wary of extending the food free part of the fast beyond 24 hours. Whether the feasting phase might stimulate thyroid function, I don't know and I doubt there have been any studies :-( but I'll try to look.
Re: sub clinical hypothyroidism
02 Apr 2013, 16:29
dhana, I will let you know what I find out next month. I have no thyroid and am on a high dose of T4 for cancer suppression. Usually the dosage goes by weight, mine however doesn't seem to since I need a very high dose. I have a checkup on May 1, I'l have been on 5:2 for 2 months then so will see if my dosage needs to be adjusted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1