The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

46 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
21 Apr 2013, 22:13
Great. Thanks. Sounds a bit like I need to revisit this with my doctor.
21 Apr 2013, 22:14
I wish you all the best!!!
18 May 2013, 16:01
I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's. I am now in my 40's and have never had any cyst episodes so that sounds like an unfortunate but rare occurrence.

I was told by the experts that the pill doesn't stop the cysts from growing (I have had scans whilst on the pill that show them clearly) but it masks some of the symptoms, so it isn't a cure as such.

What I have had is terrible migraines from the contraceptive pill and I take Spironolactone instead, which is also an anti androgen. I have been on that for about 13 years and it has stabilized my PCOS very well.
19 May 2013, 23:13
Oh those migraines!!! I'm the opposite, the pill made them milder and less but the only thing that vanished them completely was the combo of DLPA and N-Acetyl Cysteine.
I don't have any trace of the cysts while I'm on the pill though, they are gone, thank God!
28 May 2013, 03:30
Hi everyone,

An interesting read! From what I know almost each country has its own rules about how to diagnose and what constitutes PCOS. There are also different types of PCOS and patients. You don’t need to have a cyst, that’s just one of the many symptoms of PCOS.

I was diagnosed as a teenager. There was little information back then so I didn’t even know what was wrong with me. I had to seek treatment because I went about a year without a cycle and then bleed for almost 3 months. I had blood tests and an ultrasound when I was diagnosed. I didn’t have any other symptoms other than an irregular cycle.

I remember when I was diagnosed, the doctor said I had more male than female hormones (not a very good or accurate description of the problem). The lack of information just made me feel confused and like ‘well, what do I do about it’. Unfortunately the doctor didn’t know anything about it and after a while put me on the pill. The Doctor’s comments were enough to set my step-mother and my family off on many years of taunting me about being a ‘man’. It was a horrible experience as a teenager and just as bad as an adult. Not only do I have to live with the stigma attached to being overweight, but I also have to deal with the symptoms of PCOS.

Some women are put on the pill and some women find it useful. I was on the pill for a while and it was great having a ‘pretend’ cycle, but there are other risks in taking the pill. I recently went back to the doctor to go back on the pill but no doctor will prescribe it to me because of my weight. The risks factors (e.g. stroke) are too high. I have to lose at least 30 + kg’s before a doctor will even consider prescribing it to me again. If only losing 30 kg’s was that easy right? So some of us women are caught in a ‘catch 22’, where you need medication to help, but you can’t have the medication because of the problems etc.

Due to the weight gain and insulin resistance, I was put on metformin in my early 20’s; but I suffered pretty badly with nausea etc. I am thinking of trying it again because they have a revised tablet in modified released form. Apparently it gels much better with people who were sensitive to the older tablet.

Quite often women with PCOS have insulin sensitivity and high levels of growth hormones. I know I do, this is why the 5:2 appealed to me. It seems that both these issues can dramatically improved by fasting. I am excited and can’t wait to find out. I am seeing a doctor before I start, so I can have tests done and be monitored. I will then have some more tests in 6 months to see if there has been any change.
When I look back I realise that the more weight I gain, the worse my condition is. When I was fitter and slimmer, my issues with cycle frequency, depression, quality of sleep and excess hair was minimal. However, as the weight increased, so did everything else.

Now that I have more understanding of PCOS, the science behind it and how the PCOS affects me ‘individually’, I am far more at ease with it all. I now know I am not the only one out there who has it and also that I am still a ‘woman’. In a weird way it is comforting to know that PCOS is more common than I thought.

It's however hard when neither family nor friends can really understand how I feel or what I go through. It would be great to have support groups, or just catch up with people who understand. Might have to look into starting a group in Canberra.

Now I’m in a new phase of life where I am starting to think about having a baby. I know it’s difficult for overweight women in general, never mind adding PCOS to the equation. So now I’m focussing on my health and ways to improve it. The main concern is obviously weight loss, because with that, all other things improve. Since the start of the year I have only managed to lose about 7 kilo’s, which isn’t much, but I guess better than a ‘gain’.

Weight has such a huge impact on our health. What I hope to achieve is:
- Improve my test results (in particular, glucose/insulin tolerance, growth hormones, liver and kidney functions, cholesterol and blood pressure)
- Not having to do the sleep apnoea test
- Improve my anxiety and depression (although I am no longer on med’s for it)
- Decrease excess hair growth
- Lose weight
- Go on the pill and metformin (if needed). Preferably, by some miracle; not even need them.

All in all, making a positive contribution to my future health and wellbeing!

Wishing you all the best too!
28 May 2013, 05:13
Leia - how awful of your family to taunt you like that!

Ive had irregular or non existant cycles since I was 13. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago but was basically told by the gyno to 'come back when you want to have a baby'. Seriously.

I have stumbled accross this website which is quite good for aussie PCOS sufferers.
http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/

My partner and I are getting married next year, trying to lose the weight for our wedding day and to improve my sypmtoms and chances of conceiving.

I only have around 10kgs to lose, but it is a slow and hard road, the kgs dont seem to want to budge anymore so I am giving 5:2 a shot and onto my 3rd fast.

All the best for your journey, hopefully we both get some good results!
28 May 2013, 11:42
Oh my Leia, you've been through so much without support!!! I didn't have to go through this (my mum never got it but my friends do and they are very supportive) and still I think that sometimes PCOS is too much for me.
I couldn't have done it without the pill (my periods were horrible, not to mention hair and weight and bad skin) and even with it things aren't always pretty.
Good luck with 5:2, I'm sure you'll do well because you sound determined!

Deedee, good luck to you too!!!
06 Jun 2013, 03:00
Thanks guys, it was a challenge but at the time I didn't realise. It's only now when I look back at why I have certain beliefs about myself that I realise a lot of my current beliefs and habbits are a result of my early life. At least now I have a loving partner, he is great and accepts me warts and all so to speak. It's still a confort to know so many women out there go through the same thing and that people are more aware of PCOS these days.
09 Jun 2013, 21:06
Hey everyone. Like many of you I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager and faced the same "come back when you want a baby" like deedeelicious. Last year I made some progress at the drs and was put on metformin which has really helped to regulate my periods! I have a lot of weight to lose (about 20kg+!!) and i'm hoping by doing this I can conceive naturally and walk down the aisle as something other than a fat bride! I started the 5:2 diet 2 weeks ago and have already lost 4lbs. I'm just really hoping this works for me and for everyone else in the same boat.

Good luck to everyone! You all deserve it to work for you :)
09 Jun 2013, 21:34
I can't believe that some doctors are so irresponsible!!! It's driving me mad!!! :-(
09 Jun 2013, 21:51
Hi everyone,
Have just found this thread and read all your stories!! I was diagnosed with PCOS after trying for a baby for 2 years,with no luck, I'd always felt that something was wrong and having the family I so dearly wanted wasn't going to be easy,amazingly once I had a doctor tell me that yes I had a problem,hey presto I fell pregnant!! My daughter is now 16 and we also have a 3 yr old son who was conceived the first Month of trying!!! So a message of hope to all you PCOS girls out there,don't ever give up on having a family-but maybe don't try so hard.... good luck
17 Jul 2013, 14:45
Hello

Just wanted to pop in and say I am also another PCOS lady who started the 5:2 yesterday, so I will try to pop on here now and again and let you know how its working for me.

I confess I did not manage to read all 3 pages, but I did see some comments on the first two in relation to the pill and PCOS. I am not allowed to take the pill due to the side effects I had in my early 20's - severe migraines and dizzy spells, plus rapid weight gain. The only contraceptive devices available to me are the implant and the coil. I had the implant in for 2 years and in that time I had a series of Gynecological issues which led to several procedures plus a scan showing that I was riddled with cysts.
Professional opinion was that I should remove the implant and lo and behold several symptoms went away except the cysts. It was implied - although there is not sufficient evidence that the implant may have caused the PCOS to flare up in the first place.
So - that's me - PCOS with nothing much I can do about it and struggling to loose weight! I have everything crossed that this will work for me!
17 Jul 2013, 14:52
Sugarjunkie, not sure how long it's been since you've discussed the pill with a doctor but things change rapidly in this area.
It is quite possible that you took the wrong pill, hence the migraines and weight gain. The right pill makes migraines and weight go away so it is only logical for the wrong pill to do the opposite.
It takes time, patience and flexibility from both you and your doctor in order to find what suits you. After all, a pill is hormones. It takes the proper hormones to balance things up and get rid off the weight, cysts and other side effects that the cysts bring.
29 Oct 2013, 04:49
Hi

I am also a PCOS sufferer with weight issues!!! Good news is that this WOE has finally helped me to loose weight. I still have 4kg to go before reaching my goal - but I wanted to let other people struggling with this condition know that this WOE will work for you if you stick with it. Good luck everyone!
09 Apr 2014, 19:55
Just wanted to say "Hi"

I also have PCOS and have been doing 5:2 since September 2013. Having tried many diets/dieticians I'm happy to have something that actually works.

Lost 9.3kg so far, a lot more to go, but am hoping that one I reach 2 stone I can finally get my doc to help me get pregnant.

He won't help until I "lose some weight" so god knows what he actually means, and he couldn't give a monkeys about the PCOS, it's just my fault I'm lazy :pissedoff:

Anyway 1lb a week is doing me nicely, but the plateaus bug me! :?: :starving:
46 posts Page 3 of 4