The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

48 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: Fasting and Thyroid
23 Apr 2013, 08:05
nodakmom wrote:
Coffecat wrote: So going on an 800 kcal diet may not be the way to resolve this.

Just what those of us with thyroid issues don't want to hear when we're already having trouble losing weight! :bugeyes: Hopefully you can get whatever is up sorted out Marlene.

Were you looking forward to an 800 kcal/day diet?? 1200-1400 may have different effects, and I found that a lot more feasible as a diet.
As it seems from this thread so far, "us with thyroid issues" seem to be a very diverse group with diverse physiological reactions to fasting and calorie restriction. Marlene has other issues with her meds and T3 and side effects than I have. So a different approach may be needed for her, and maybe others who do not respond well to only T4 substition. Many do, however, and may do fine on IF or moderate restrictions.

This would be a very interesting area for research, strange that it seems to have been forgotten by endocrinologists.
23 Apr 2013, 10:52
nodakmom wrote:
Coffecat wrote: So going on an 800 kcal diet may not be the way to resolve this.

Just what those of us with thyroid issues don't want to hear when we're already having trouble losing weight! :bugeyes: Hopefully you can get whatever is up sorted out Marlene.

As a person with a thyroid problem who has tried to starve herself and failed, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!
Who wants to live on an 800 cals diet?
Who can live on an 800 cals a day diet?
No way, we need something better, something that will not isolate is from society, something that will not harm our bodies, something that is feasible to follow for the rest of our lives.
23 Apr 2013, 11:31
I'm yet another flavor of thyroid issues. I have graves disease and take medication to slow my thyroid down to normal. After almost two months of 5:3, my thyroid levels became too low -- I had previously been stable on the same dose of medication for over 6 months. In other words, my thyroid started working more like it's supposed to, so the medications were dropping it below normal. I decreased my meds and just had another blood draw on Friday, so I should know tomorrow what the results are.
Underactive thyroid
23 Apr 2013, 12:05
Good afternoon I had my first fast day yesterday and wasn't as bad as I imagined. I have eaten breakfast and lunch today but not feeling too hungry just feel very tired. Is there any body out there who has an underactive thyroid and taking thyroxine that has noticed any improvements if the way they feel. I find it extremely hard to lose weight and hope there are fellow sufferers who can give me hope. Many thanks and hope you are all enjoying the sunshine. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Re: Underactive thyroid
23 Apr 2013, 12:13
Welcome!!!
I can't say that I feel better but after a month of fasting my blood exams showed that my thyroid is more active than it was.
I've also lost about a kilo per week and my clothes went a size down.
Yes, I don't lose as fast as I'd like to but 5:2 is my last resort and since it is working I am determined to keep on doing it since I lose at least 4 more kilos!!!
23 Apr 2013, 14:15
Hi,
I too have an under active thyroid. Now just started week 13. I feel like a different person. I have loads more energy, this happened within the first couple of weeks. I have lost 19.5 lbs, 1.5 lbs off my target. I am going to carry on with 5.2 for a bit longer until I feel happy. (I am very happy now but want to lose a little more before I go onto maintenance). Take a look at my tracker, I have lost every week so far. I do not calorie count on feed days and have 500 c on fast days in one meal at tea time. I have a varied diet, have takeaways, meals out, choc, wine and crisps. I also have started eating full fat food rather than go for diet meals and low cal meals. I do get fuller so don't eat as much, listen to by body and drink water instead of going for food. The big one for me is that i eat slower. Enjoy the food I am eating. I have got my annual blood test on friday so i am interested on what the results will be. Anyway good luck in your journey, off to make a lasagna for tea. Feed day for me :-)
23 Apr 2013, 14:22
Yes, hello, is this where I order my portion of lasagna?
23 Apr 2013, 14:25
Great stuff - however I noticed you said "take a look at my tracker" and I'm sorry to say we can't. You have to go into User Control panel and choose Public. :smile:
edit: go into View my Profile and choose Public View. (I should know this by now! :doh:
23 Apr 2013, 14:29
I'm not taking any medication for my under active thyroid, but have already noticed a difference in that my clothes are much looser and I have more energy - I started 5:2 just over two weeks ago.
23 Apr 2013, 14:38
Very interesting, Tracieknits. Let's keep the reports coming!
23 Apr 2013, 14:56
I can not wait for my lasagna!! Made with dolmio sauces, no slimming world recipe here!! I have calculated calories, only so i can have a portion tomorrow with salad on my fast day.
Hopefully you can see my tracker now, thought I had set that weeks ago.
I am on 100 mg of thyroxine.
I am so happy with this WOl and am telling friends now they've notice my weight loss. One friend can't thank me enough for telling her, she lost 6lbs on her 1st week. Another friend is doing her first fast day today, she text me earlier saying she was hungry. Advice to her, keep busy, drink lots and it will pass.
What a wonderful feeling when your clothes get baggy, I like my party trick, pulling my jeans down without unfastening them :wink:
23 Apr 2013, 18:56
Mmmmmmmmm they sound yummy!!!

I take 25mg of T4.

I had a pair of jeans with a broken zipper and I didn't get into fixing it. I discovered that I can pull it up without unzipping it, so I went ahead and sewed it!!! Am I happy or am I thrilled???
23 Apr 2013, 19:26
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my query. I definately feel hopeful now. By coincidence I have my annual blood test today and in a way hoping that my medication gets increased. I am currently taking 100mg of thyroxine and this hasn't changed for seven years, however have put another stone on in past year but have not over eaten pr changed my eating habits. I was off work today and slept for 2 hours this afternoon and still tired now can't wait to feel like I have more energy and really looking forward to losing weight as feel horrible. Thanks again to everyone and welcome any more tips anyone can offe. Well done for all doing so well so far :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
23 Apr 2013, 19:34
The only tip that I can give you is BE STUBBORN!!! Don't lose faith and don't let those stupid scales terrorise you! You're the boss, you can do it, you WILL lose the weight!!!
25 Apr 2013, 14:35
Keihira wrote: I don't have a thyroid gland either - surgery took care of that a few years ago.
As it happens, I am going to see my GP this afternoon and I am due for a control for my thyroid replacement medication. I'll compare my blood tests results when I get them later this week and I'll update here to let you know how I get on.
I am feeling fine, more energetic if anything, and I don't notice the cold more than I have done in the past.

Quick follow-up on my blood test (these are French readings):

T4L (FT4) = 22.7 pg/mL (30.1 pmol/L
TSH = 0.010 mU/L

These figures are in keeping with previous results, but I think the FT4 figures is slightly high and I will see if my GP agrees to lower the dosage of Lévothyroxe (currently 175 mg).
48 posts Page 2 of 4