The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Gout and 5:2?
05 May 2013, 22:24
I've recently discovered that my painful toe is probably gout! My toe has been painful for about a year but this weekend it was so painful I went to A&E thinking I had broken it! This is strange as I am a fairly healthy vegetarian and I don't tick many (if any) of the causes of gout, however my dad has it. While looking it up on the internet it appears that gout and fasting could be connected. Does anyone have any ideas or experience about it? I am hopefully going to Drs next week to have it checked out. I don't want to give up 5:2 and will definitely be looking for other ways to control it.
Re: Gout and 5:2?
05 May 2013, 22:36
http://www.arthritistoday.org/tools-and ... t-fast.php

Are you getting enough fluids? Check out the above link. If you fasting and dehydrated, it could aggravate gout. Hope you're feeling better!
05 May 2013, 22:43
Thank you Rainbow, I am trying to increase my water intake as this might be one of my problems. Toe is much better today as hospital gave me some anti inflammatories but it was a bit of a shock to be told it was gout!
05 May 2013, 22:58
That is an interesting question. Yes, fasting can precipitate gout but I think it should not occur with the short fasts that we do. However, gout is associated with the metabolic syndrome (obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, hgh blood pressure). 5:2 will help correct metabolic syndrome, partly through weight loss but also by the reduction in insulin levels.

I would look at reducing purine containing foods (which you probably have done already if you are vegetarian, but there are some veg that are high in purines: Asparagus, Cauliflower, Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Lobster, Mushrooms, Navy beans, Oatmeal, Peas, Spinach) and aiming for a low carbohydrate diet with moderate fat and protein intake, which will also improve metabolic syndrome. Ensuring moderation in alcohol consumption is also wise!

I had a little discomfort in my toe a while back which was probably gout but it's gone now.

Hopefully your symptoms will soon improve!
4 posts Page 1 of 1