The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

52 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: Hot flushes
18 Oct 2013, 16:14
I can beat that Azureblue, I started the menopause 14 years ago aged 51 and STILL get the blighters! :curse: Admittedly not as regularly as say five years ago but for no apparent reason, even if it's a really cold day, I can feel as if my internal thermostat has blown a gasket and my back feels on fire! Poor hubby is used to my 'tropical moments' and just hands me a fan! :cool:
18 Oct 2013, 16:15
Domane wrote: I'm 50 and for around the past year, I was having awful night sweats.... that had been getting increasingly worse, to the point that I was waking up once an hour! So I felt wretched from the interrupted sleep too. Since I gave up "white carbs" they have all but dimished. I may get a mild one that disturbs me enough to be aware of it, but doesn't wake me fully, about once a fortnight.

Two evenings ago I had made my husband a Victoria sponge and as I'm now at target, I allowed myself a small slice. Whether it was coincidence but I woke up DRENCHED in the night, having a huge night sweat!!! Yesterday I was back on track and slept fantastically with no disturbances...

Coincidence or carb-related? I know what I think.....

Deffo carb related IMHO.. Wine and coffee does the same thing
18 Oct 2013, 16:20
rawkaren wrote: Does anyone else get that ten second warning when the mouth goes dry? As soon as that happens I start stripping off!

I get a ten second warning alright but not quite as straightforward as a dry mouth. More a feeling, very difficult to describe, almost of dread, a sort of concentrated existential angst which passes with the hot flush. Weird but very reliable as an early warning.

Hot flushes have definitely improved of late. No idea whether it's the fasting, the low carb or the Ladycare magnet (see earlier in this thread) but something's working. Yay!
18 Oct 2013, 17:08
Useless information: Did you know that a hot flush is purely an internal feeling and that your external skin temperature doesn't rise at all in most people? Sometimes there may be a small change but never more than a one degree increase. Another person touching us will feel a normal skin heat, just a wet, sweaty one at that!!! And as yet, scientists really don't know why women get them... or why some women do and others don't. They know it is a hormonal thing, but don't really know the whys or wherefores.... ah... the joy of being a woman!
18 Oct 2013, 17:17
Well, it just goes to show, doesn't it? I always felt as though I may just self combust I got so hot! nothing worked for me except hrt but that was a few years ago and I think people are more reluctant to go down that route now. I loved hrt, it gave me so much relief!
18 Oct 2013, 21:35
I agree with what Domane says about your lack of external temperature. Whilst in the grip of one hot flush I asked a friend if I felt hot to the touch, I didn't and I also took my temperature but there was no increase in spite of the fact that I felt as though I was self combusting. I am now 66 and still have the odd flush, I've got polo necked jumpers in my wardrobe, in every colour, which I have been unable to wear since all this kicked in, they must be moth eaten by now but I still hope to wear them again one day. :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
20 Oct 2013, 09:51
If it's an internal feeling how does that explain the red skin? During the day I really don't feel hot at all yet I can catch sight of myself in a mirror and see a deep red stain over my shoulder blades, neck and face. And I haven't felt hot at all but obviously my body thinks it does.

At night, I definitely feel hot, although that has reduced vastly. When I wake during the night and turn over I'm always shocked at the furnace-like heat inside the bit of the mattress I've just been lying on.
52 posts Page 4 of 4