The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

52 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Hot flushes
03 Aug 2013, 09:50
Forgot to say and am trying to avoid advertising but I used to keep a can of a very effective cooling spray - it's name was along the lines of the words magic and cool strung together and it was blue ;) I'm sure there are other versions but I used to buy it in the chemist named after those long versions of shoes...It cools the air around you and really worked for nights especially. Even knowing it was on hand was comforting.
03 Aug 2013, 10:08
I am 64 and at present am gradually coming off HRT, after taking it for about fifteen years - with a short break about three years ago. When I last came off it, my recollection is that I had only a few hot flushes but that is not my main concern. I am hoping that, having reached my target, I don't put a lot of weight on when I finally finish the HRT. Has anyone any experience of this?
25 Aug 2013, 12:33
Sorry Stowgateresident, I can't answer on the HRT question as I've been lucky enough not to need it. I'm sure someone will be along soon with their experience. (Apologies if this looked too abrupt originally, I didn't mean it to be.)

Since my last post I've been drinking 200ml of unsweetened soya milk each day, sometimes with cocoa and a tiny bit of sugar in it. I put a level teaspoon in a jug with the sugar and mix in a very small amount of boiled water before topping up with the cold soya - lovely :smile: . Yes I could buy chocolate soya milk but I prefer to do this as I can regulate the sweetness. I've also changed back from 120ml of Greek yogurt to plain Alpro soya yogurt daily and my hot flushes have definitely gone down in number and intensity, sleeping a bit better too. Just bought some firm tofu for first time in ages too, so will be using that a couple of times in the week.

I have noticed some hair thinning for last couple of months too :shock: . Again, luckily I do have thick hair so not a disaster - yet. Also hoping the return to using soya is the answer to this too.
25 Aug 2013, 12:40
I was on HRT for 7 years because the hot flushes and night sweats were unbearable. Came off HRT a few months ago and my hot flushes are back. They aren't as bad as they were before but they still upset me sometimes. I don't know if 5:2 has helped or not but if there is less of me maybe I won't sweat so much! x
22 Sep 2013, 13:05
Seven weeks in and I've noticed a visible difference in my night sweats - I'm hardly having them! This only dawned on me a couple of weeks back that I hadn't had one for a bit and then without thinking too much about it I let it pass. Two weeks since then and it's a definite improvement. I'm only having night sweats now if I've had alcohol and even then not overheating nearly as much. My daytime hot flushes also seem to have lessened. As 5:2 is the only big change in my lifestyle, it must be the fasting that's doing this. *happy*
22 Sep 2013, 13:39
I have been having flushes/flashes for 10 years (without HRT) but sorry to say they have got worse but I know why:
I have been drinking more coffee. If you can give it up it really does make a difference. I have been caffeine free many times and my flushes always reduce.
Alcohol. Not good for this.

What has worked for me in addition to above is two cups of miso every day. I also agree that the ladycare magnet is also good but beware the X-ray machines at the airport....... :razz:
22 Sep 2013, 16:34
I tend to get night sweats and I THINK they're better since 5:2 ing but not sure whether that's just coincidence or not. I was wondering if it was because the quality of my diet has improved - more fruit and veg etc and less carbs but have no knowledge about whether that's a reasonable assumption or not.
22 Sep 2013, 19:52
I haven't had any hot flushes for months until two days ago. I had half a 14 inch pizza and a jacket potato with apple pie for supper. That night was nearly a change the sheets hot flush and I am still getting minor flushes now.
I KNOW what causes my hot flushes, yet I still sabotage myself. At least its only every few months now and not every day/night as it used to be when I was following a traditional diet of high carbs and low fats.
18 Oct 2013, 11:23
Vildekhaya wrote: Seven weeks in and I've noticed a visible difference in my night sweats - I'm hardly having them! This only dawned on me a couple of weeks back that I hadn't had one for a bit and then without thinking too much about it I let it pass. Two weeks since then and it's a definite improvement. I'm only having night sweats now if I've had alcohol and even then not overheating nearly as much. My daytime hot flushes also seem to have lessened. As 5:2 is the only big change in my lifestyle, it must be the fasting that's doing this. *happy*

A quick update - it is very definitely 5:2 that has improved my hot flushes and night sweats. I'm now about 11 weeks in since starting this WOE - I'm still barely having night sweats unless I've had alcohol (or 10 days ago a Chinese takeaway so laden with MSG that I hardly slept because I was so busy pulling the duvet on and off me all night). Last winter I slept under the summer duvet and under a sheet during the summer. I'm now seriously contemplating dusting off the winter duvet! My daytime flushes are also heavily reduced. Apart from the slow but sure weight loss this is the biggest single health benefit I've actually noticed so far (I'm sure the others are there too but they are less visible).
18 Oct 2013, 11:46
I have had them on and of for years with an of period before I started on 5:2....When I complained to my GP about it she said that they can continue to over 70...Now that is completely unfair!! First puberty, then lifelong suffering from cramps and migraines, then night sweats and when all that goes away, you have to stoically accept hot flushes??? :curse: :curse: I get read from the top of the chest and upwards without any reason and it feels like I'm embarrassed and is blushing.....Comes into work, complaining that the AC don't work enough, turn it down and make the rest suffer. Take the jacket/cardigan of and is happy that you wear a camisole underneath.

Scarves??? Why?? Only wear them outside when it's cold...GAHHH!!!!! :reallypissed:
18 Oct 2013, 11:57
Does anyone else get that ten second warning when the mouth goes dry? As soon as that happens I start stripping off!
18 Oct 2013, 12:07
I do sympathise with all the ladies (and I know a few men who had oestrogen hormone treatment for prostate cancer) with their menopausal/HRT symptoms. As I am not allowed to take any medication I prepared for the menopause and just ate almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. No side effects, but I am more wrinkly now!
18 Oct 2013, 12:17
I'm 50 and for around the past year, I was having awful night sweats.... that had been getting increasingly worse, to the point that I was waking up once an hour! So I felt wretched from the interrupted sleep too. Since I gave up "white carbs" they have all but dimished. I may get a mild one that disturbs me enough to be aware of it, but doesn't wake me fully, about once a fortnight.

Two evenings ago I had made my husband a Victoria sponge and as I'm now at target, I allowed myself a small slice. Whether it was coincidence but I woke up DRENCHED in the night, having a huge night sweat!!! Yesterday I was back on track and slept fantastically with no disturbances...

Coincidence or carb-related? I know what I think.....
18 Oct 2013, 15:29
Interesting, Domane! I've not given up carbs completely but I've really cut right back (apart from last weekend's bread binge but shhhh) and on fast days I usually avoid them completely. So I've not made a link with flushes and carbs but I shall keep an eye out now and see my experience replicates yours.
18 Oct 2013, 15:45
Eleven years and counting ... Aaaaaargh!
Had three bad ones last night too.
Day ones are more in the evening now, used to be every hour day and night, sweat pouring out of every pore, bright red. Ridiculous way to try to live, had to give up work nine years ago as menopause (and work) had worn me to a frazzled burn out.
My sympathies to all who suffer from this disabling ghastliness x
52 posts Page 3 of 4