The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

17 posts Page 1 of 2
PA and 5:2
08 May 2013, 18:56
Hi there,

I suffer from pernicious anaemia and I was trying to fast today but it was a bad day for my illness, I was very tired groggy lethargic etc. :sleepy: I have decided to fast tomorrow instead. :dazed: Does anyone here have the same problem and if so any hints? :clover: My weight loss has been slow partly due to my illness but also because I am greedy!! I am hoping to improve but could do with any help out there.

Thanks
Re: PA and 5:2
08 May 2013, 19:39
what do you do to make things better under non-fasting conditions?
08 May 2013, 20:12
What treatment are you receiving? I was tentatively diagnosed with pernicious anemia (long pitiful story as to why it wasn't confirmed :P). I take monthly B-12 injections and oral iron supplements. I don't have any symptoms now.
08 May 2013, 20:40
Hi, unfortunately in the UK the injections are once every three months and it is hard to get them increased. I don't do anything different when I am not fasting but some of the symptoms of PA are depression and lethargy and I find the motivation is harder when the symptoms are severe. I am due an injection in a couple of weeks and a couple of weeks after that I will be feeling better and I will not be as depressed then. Unfortunately I have a history of depression and one of my symptoms of depressions is over eating! :cry: I will just have to learn to adjust I suppose but it is hard when your brain is foggy :confused:
08 May 2013, 20:44
Are there particular foods you can eat that will help or is it just how the body processes the B12 and iron?

I have anemia, don't think pernicious though. If I eat red meat it helps when I am low, or if I do citrus with spinach that is also helpful.
08 May 2013, 20:53
PA is a lack of intrinsic factor which is what the body needs to absorb B12 so those that suffer from PA cannot use B12 in food and have to have it from injections, patches or sprays, injections are the better way. I also try large doses of tablets as some research show that some can be absorbed that way. Any port in a storm
08 May 2013, 20:56
I think that if I couldn't get the shot more often I would invest in the tablets or the nose spray or both.

I actually have to take iron tablets, but not been told to do the B12. I do also try to do as much as I can to increase the food sources.

I have IBD and it messes with my ability to absorb all the nutrients from food, so I work to keep the best sources I can add what I have to and hope for the best.

But I have been feeling better on my fast days. go figure
08 May 2013, 21:30
Hi I have Crohn's disease, currently in remission thanks to a brilliant consultant and medication. I too have had PA although don't suffer so much now, I have B12 injection every three months and take prescribed Strong Vitamin B which helps. Today is my 34th fast day, I do 5:2, so 17 weeks in am doing well, losing weight and inches!! I find I am also eating much better which is good for my Crohn's - my surgery nurse is very pleased with my progress. My advice is to stick with it, if you don't feel well enough on one day, leave it and do another day, this "diet" is movable to fit your lifestyle and your general health, hopefully you will feel fitter soon. Good luck - hope you do okay.
08 May 2013, 21:50
Hi, I am suffering from anemia too. My stomach refuses any iron supplements so I used to get iron injections. However, my anemia was okay in the last two year, but still the iron was lower than it should be. Dieting for some month now and being within a healthy BMI range seem to make the symptoms of anemia worse. I passed out twice last week. So I have an appointment with my GP on Friday, so let's see what will happen.
I hope you will get well soon!
Abby
09 May 2013, 12:19
I have pernicious anaemia, which I understood to be heriditary as my mother had Addison's and my grandmother had PA too. (My sisters don't have it at all)
I have injections every three months and to be honest they don't seem to make any difference! I still felt tired / exhausted.
However since starting 5:2 in January 2013, I have lost weight and inches, feel more energised and generally well. :smile:
I am due to have another blood test soon, so it will be interesting to see if fasting has made any difference to the PA.
09 May 2013, 20:54
I'm sorry you don't get injections more often. My doctor wanted me to stop and to try taking mega-doses of B12 pills. I wouldn't go along with it. There is little risk to having them and the vials are not expensive, so why go fixing something that isn't broken? My husband even learned how to give me the shots so I don't have to go to the doctors office.

If I were you I'd kick up a fuss. I actually had to do that with the doctor that diagnosed me with PA and then just didn't want to treat it. :confused: So I pressed her and she became at turns condescending and then angry/accusatory. :bugeyes: Then she fired me as a patient. :shock: Okay so maybe you shouldn't do what I did! LOL I've got a great doctor now who doesn't act like a crazy person. ;)
15 May 2013, 10:28
Riel - Im in the same boat as you, I need injections far quicker than the 3 months allowed and despite being hospitalised (precautionary after collapses) a couple of times whilst pregnant (yes they even refused me when pregnant) they will not increase from 3m. I can't exercise in any solid way as I'm OK for 6w, tired for another 2 and barely surviving for the other 4. This makes me better that a lot of pa sufferers. I'm just hitting the last 4 weeks now. Since my second hospitalisation I've been taking sublingual b12 for the second 6w. This doesn't cure me but it holds off all the really bad symptoms I get, so I haven't again collapsed or get palpatations when walking a metre or feel like my arms are detached from my body. They're really worth trying.
24 May 2013, 15:59
Thanks to everyone who posted and offered help, sorry I haven't replied before but as I said I have been somewhat depressed. :cry: I have had some blood tests done and it's frolic acid that I have been short of, I have tablets now and a b12 injection on Tuesday so hopefully I will be back on track. :grin: I hope to fast on Sunday, 1st time in several weeks, but I won't beat myself up if I can't I will wait until after my jab and then go for it :smile:
24 May 2013, 17:40
Definitely take care of yourself and let us know how it goes!
24 May 2013, 18:23
Glad to hear you have a plan. Fingers crossed for you the Folic acid puts things right!
17 posts Page 1 of 2