The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

23 posts Page 2 of 2
I don't think its willpower as such, maybe fear of the consequences more likely. I do have a diet buddy, my eldest son, he also needs to lose weight for an operation, he had no chance with his weight being a chef. So a few months off work has allowed him to lose weight as well.
I wonder, as you have such strong willpower, have you considered ADF for faster weightloss? (I can't remember if you are doing 5:2 or what at the moment). Although it is tougher, the sooner you can get your weight down the sooner you can have the op. The progress tracker stats have too few people doing ADF with your starting weight so it is hard to know how much of a boost it might give so no worries if you don't fancy the idea. You are doing brilliantly though so keep strong. :heart:
Wow lot on your plate Julieathome, all the best :clover: :clover: :clover: on many levels and hope your 5:2 regime works as you want to for you. Sending hugs :hugleft: :heart: :hugright:
Julie, I have a TENS machine (and a backup in case it breaks!) and it gives me a tremendous amount of relief. My back problem is loose ligaments leading to muscle spasms, so the TENS is ideal for calming that down, but I did loan one to a (GP) friend after an op on the bones in her wrist and she felt it really helped with the pain. Similar machines to mine are about £30 on Amazon, but it might be worth speaking to the hospital as they may have machines they can loan out?

I do hope you find a formula that works for you soon :)
My lovely hubby bought me a TENS machine this morning. I didn't realise how good they can be. Thank you for suggesting it. It will keep me off the stronger meds I think. I have loose muscles on my back again, the first time in possibley months.
I am doing a modified 5:2. I am doing a 2:1 instead, 2 days normal one day fast and repeating. I tried ADF but I find it hard to start eating again on day 1 normal and wasn't getting enough calories in, for health and energy.
Oh! That is so good to hear! I'm glad that something is working for you. :)
Hi Julie, I have some osteoarthritis in my neck and two compressed discs there that move around from time to time. Not half as severe as yours sounds though I was out on flat of my back for two months last year( couldn't move neck at all). Doc had me on nerve pain blocks which, although made me a bit gaga, did seem to help. Can't remember what they were called... I did though take baths with magnesium salts and this did ease it a little. There is also a magnesium spray...here is the link: http://www.victoriahealth.com/product/M ... es/8697/0/ Good luck!
Hi There

My mum had that operation - she described the pain as bad enough she thought she was having a heart attack. It was a really miserable time. She tried acupuncture, physio everything - nothing worked because of the level she was at. Also, the tens machine caused further damage so I would caution you greatly about getting anything with a risk of paralysis. Don't take the risk. My mums op was pretty successful - she does have pain now and then - the nerve moves and flares up but she can walk which she couldn't do before due to the pain levels. I really cannot say to you enough how sorry I am that you have to go through this - but of the 3 people I know personally that had the op - it worked. I am not sure any were as bad as you but my mum seems to have been close enough. The only relieve she got was from meds- nothing healthy unfortunately and even the meds couldn't numb it all.

I really hope that at least knowing people have come through it successfully gives you some measure of hope - if there is anything I can advise you on fruther let me know .

Look after yourself and try to keep positive
23 posts Page 2 of 2