The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Re: Vitamin D results
06 Mar 2014, 14:30
There's some good information about vitamin D at http://www.healthinsightuk.org/2013/11/ ... -vitamind/ and http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

The recommended serum level is 40-60ng/ml (100-150 nmol/L) so it looks like you are either perfect if your results are in ng/nl or deficient if your results are in nmol/L. So, unfortunately, I think you need to go back to your nurse and check what units those results are in! The two ranges are close enough for us not to be able to guess from your values sadly.

As to what your level would be if you had not taken a supplement, the article at healthinsightuk says:
a rough guide is the basic intake of 200 IU (5 μg) per day can raise the vitamin D in your blood by 2 ng/mL (5 nmol/L) in about 3 months. So to push your blood level up from 25 nmol/L to 125 nmol/L you would need at least 100 μg or 4,000 IU a day for 3 months.

You've been taking 1000IU so, that should have increased your blood concentration by about 10ng/ml or 25 nmol/L.

You should be able to make a rough estimation of how to adjust your Vit D supplement based on this, I hope!
06 Mar 2014, 17:20
Sorry Iz that was all a bit too technical for me but am sure caro has put you on the right track x
Thanks for reminding me..i have just finished ginormous dose of vit D over six months and now need to book appt to see if am no longer massively vit D deficient.
i was prescribed 20,000 I.U. Strength Tablets,one a day for a fortnight then one a month for six months.
Have to say,no significant feelings of increased health / well being afterwards..
when first received urgent phonecall to tell me i was massively vit D deficient and needed to take enormous dose,i was soo hopeful that it was what i needed to stop me feel so unwell ....
Having health probs sucks doesn't it! :confused: x x
06 Mar 2014, 18:58
Yep we have to have plenty of patience! And..
Yeh i have got the speedy gonzales song in my head since reading your joke! X
image.jpg
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
06 Mar 2014, 21:14
hi @izzy, hope it all goes well for you! Caroline has it sorted, I have nothing more to add - I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same sentence, though!

It does sometimes take a while for hormonal effects to kick in - and vitamin D is more of a hormone than a supplement, so don't despair, @CandiceMarie, just keep doin' the hat dance, ole!

cheers!
06 Mar 2014, 21:17
I never knew vit D was a hormone rather than a supplement@jools7Thanks for that..
Love how i learn something every day on this forum! :like:
5 posts Page 1 of 1