The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Oh @Navwoman Know exactly what you go through with psoriasis on elbows as I too had that problem since my early thirties. Since 5:2 the rough patches have gone and my skin is very soft on my elbows and no itch. I always thought it was yellow cheese which stirred it up the psoriasis the most, but duh might well be as you say the wheat products. Have really diminished my bread consumption, my skin has never been so good. Also my gut much happier
I'm in this camp. My skin is great now I'm avoiding supermarket bread. Face like a beacon if I succumb...
Just a note for anyone considering testing for wheat/gluten intolerance, be sure you have been eating wheat products during the 3wks prior to the test or you could get a false negative. I got totally the wrong advice from my GP. I also reckon I was intolerant for years and they never picked up on it as I didn't start with gut probs. My main symptom was horrendous mouth ulcers. I didn't realise that it was also damaging my joints until it was too late. Do your research so you are informed. Don't rely on the docs knowing about it!
My body had gotten used to wheat and had compensated for it. But then I was low-carb and cut out the wheat. I felt find... that is until I had wheat again many, many months later and now I get sinusitis with sinus headache and runny nose when I eat wheat. The crappy the wheat the fast the reaction. Trouble is I love pasta and pizza. :(

I've been meaning to try Maria Emmerich's recipes. I've bought her book Savory (US spelling), and some of the ingredients (had to order online for them). I found Maria's website via Dr Davis's one (Wheat Belly blog). Her site is: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/ and is well worth a visit if you're trying to avoid wheat.
There are two ways to test for Celiac. A blood test which you can receive false negatives, but not false positives. A colonoscopy (or endoscopy)...scraping from small intenstine...is the only 100% fool proof way to test...and like Miffy said, you have to be ingesting gluten for the weeks before the test.

Testing is reoommended every 3 years if tested positive to insure you are keeping gluten out of your diet. Unfortunately, so many doctors are still not well informed on all the facts, so you really need to educate them.

This book is considered the bible by many:
http://www.amazon.com/Celiac-Disease-Pe ... ac+disease
Hi wildmissus

Since you've shared, not TMI but some interestingI, I'm emboldened to ask you something that I've been curious about for a while. I hope you won't think I'm rude to ask. I sometimes browse through old threads on here and I recently came across one of yours from February asking if your diet was "normal". I hope you won't be offended if I say that I was pretty amazed (perhaps you exaggerated for effect) that you seemed to be existing mainly on biscuits and sweets, without a single vegetable or fruit apart from tinned fruit cocktail. I see how well you have been doing on 5:2 and I wonder if you are still eating like that on your "normal" days, perhaps in smaller portions? Or have your "normal" habits changed?

Please don't think I'm judging - I discovered from the recent poll that I am abnormal (as far as this forum goes) in basing my evening meals around ready-meals. And my breakfast and lunch rely heavily on bread, which would also make me unusual among 5:2-ers I think. I'm just nosy!
You have my sympathies! I posted last month about a carb-binge I had back at the beginning of November. Totally self-inflicted - I suspected some kind of reaction as I greedily stuffed (and enjoyed!) far too much grain-based cr@p. Not having eaten grains for months, I suppose it wasn't really surprising to feel bloated, sleepy and uncomfortably over-full for a good six hours (before taking myself off to bed) - and I also spent a fair amount of time on the loo. I never reacted to wheat-based products, prior to changing my eating habits... I ate bread, cakes and biscuits daily, without major incident so I was curious to know why I had such a large insensitivity-reaction after all this time (6 months or so) What I CAN tell you is that I shall be avoiding them in large doses for the foreseeable.... no slice of bread is worth feeling like THAT again!!!
Thank you @kentishlass, no offence taken. Need;ess to say I don't remember what I wrote in February, it makes my diet sound terrible :lol: . These days on non fast days for breakfasts I have porridge or my homemade wholewheat toast with peanut butter. Lunches are typically homemade soup with cheese and crackers. Evening meals are things like stir frys, roast dinners, pizza every second Friday, Hairy Dieters meals. My meals aren't too bad but could be padded out with more veg. My biggest problem still remains snacking - too often, biscuits, chocolate, crisps. This is something I really want to tackle in the new year.

@Domane, glad to hear I'm not the only one! Everything in moderation from now on.
Hi @miffy49, love, just love, your new avatar, you are looking good, much better than the striped, cute kitten look :lol: :grin: :cool:

Ballerina x :heart:
24 posts Page 2 of 2