The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

24 posts Page 1 of 2
When I started 5:2ing I also bought myself a breadmaker and ever since have be making a small loaf of wholemeal bread a week. Because of what happened to me yesterday I've also realised that I haven't eaten pasta since the beginning of the year (not intentional).

Yesterday I was in town Christmas shopping and lost track of time so popped into Tesco and picked up a chicken and bacon pasta bowl for lunch. For tea I had a baked potato with tuna and cheese with the rest of the family, something we have on a regular basis.

When I went to bed I felt really bloated and uncomfortable, I took an age to get to sleep and woke at 4am and ended up on the toilet for the next hour! (I know TMI).

The only thing I can think of is that it was the pasta and when I look back I often felt bloated and uncomfortable but not quite as bad as that! I am actually quite shocked that I used to let myself feel like that and how simple it has been not to feel like that, ie. by going whole rather than refined on a few things. My father has coeliac disease so I know it is not that as I still eat cakes and biscuits but I think I'll need to watch myself from now on.
Oh, I know that one. The strange thing is that when you have gone quite a while without the things that you never really noticed didn't agree with you, you suddenly are VERY aware of how bloated/tired/lethargic etc these food make you feel. We rarely have bread now even though we both love it and hubs loves baking it but it does not do our poor old innards any good. We also have cut back, not necessarily deliberately, on rice, pasta and potatoes as well so this really does change what you chose to eat, wonderful,

Ballerina x :heart:
Thank you for your comments Ballerina. It look me quite a while to make the connection. I can't believe I've not had pasta for almost a year but it has been no hardship. New Year's resolution has to be to get more fruit and veg in me rather than potato wedges and biscuits! I'm sure the whole family will benefit.
Ouch. That sounds nasty. I get wheat belly too, but TMI again, my system grinds to a complete halt so I barely eat grains these days. Hope you are feeling better soon wildmissus.
I am about to read 'Grain Brain' by David Perlmutter M D, might prove scary!
Auriga wrote: I am about to read 'Grain Brain' by David Perlmutter M D, might prove scary!

Thanks Auriga. I might get it for Kindle. The reviews are interesting. I'm looking for motivation to stay grain free!
:heart: Hope you're feeling OK today wildmissus sound like you learned the hard way but there are many lessons out therefor us to learn on this WOL so thanks for sharing and as my sister has similar problems I'll pass that tip onto her :heart: :heart: :heart:

Now you can cross pasta off the shopping list from now on
:heart: :heart: Sue. :heart: :heart:
Hi Wildmissus

Before you do cross pasta entirely off your list, why not have a go at making your own?

It's dead easy - and you don't need a machine, as these pics showing my 9-year-old granddaughter making it will show you:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/homemade-vegan-pasta.html

And there is evidence to show that sourdough - which is a slowly prepared bread - is more easily tolerated by those who have symptoms such as bloating, etc.

There's a recipe for this on my blog, also! :smile:
While I love bread it doesn't love me or just some and I never know until it's too late and I get it and sympathise when you described your in the wee hours dilemma @wildmissus

Hope to get back into baking but for now just seems easier to say no. Only thing is what goodness am I missing out on by avoiding bread 'the staff of life'
Wildmissus, you are at a much higher risk of having celiac disease since your dad has it. IMPORTANT NOTE: the symptoms vastly vary which is why it often goes undiagnosed. Do yourself and family a favor and get tested.

My daughter refuses to get tested and it breaks my heart to know she may be causing unseen damage to her body and ultimately, her long term health.
Thank you @GoLinda. About three years ago I had my bloods done and asked to be tested and came up clear. Also clear for pre diabetes (my mother has Type 2). My father was diagnosed when he was 63! Do you know how often you should get checked?
Thanks @Breadandwine, looks amazing, definitely on my to do list. I also need to try eating 'cleaner' as @rawkaren mentions.

By the way, I feel so much better today. Thank you all.
It’s dreadful wildmissus when discovering that something you like doesn’t like you, you’ll have a lot of sympathy from many people.

There’s something I don’t understand - the OP is headed, ‘Wheat Intolerance?’ but you seem fine with wholemeal bread. Could it be that making bread at home avoids all the additives and it’s one of those in the commercial pasta that is causing the problem. I’ve no idea whether such pasta contains additives but doing some home made as Breadandwine suggests will be a good test.

I’d suggest asking your GP, in the light of your family history, how frequently you should be tested.

I can recommend sourdough. :like:
Thanks @dennispc. You make a good point. I was just assuming it was a case of tolerating whole versus refined but of course it could be the additives. I'll give B&W's pasta a go and I've never tried sourdough bread - that'll be next on my list, homemade of course.
Wheat products make my psoriasis flare up so it is a very rare occurrence for me to eat bread! However, on the odd occasion I do succumb to a slice of warm home made bread my skin reacts more rapidly and more fiercely eg my right elbow has a sensitive area of skin and it glows nearly as much as the nose on Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer and is more flaky and itchy. Also takes longer for it to settle. So, no, it isn't worth giving in to the tempting smell and taste of bread!!
24 posts Page 1 of 2