The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

47 posts Page 3 of 4
Moogie wrote:
May I please just take a moment to ensure that you are aware of the meaning of the term 'troll' with reference to an internet discussion? I wouldn't want you to think that someone here had called you a troll in the sense of the hideous mythical creatures! A 'troll' or 'trolling' is when a user seems to be posting a controversial viewpoint with the intent of causing an argument. It's true that a number of your posts have come across as controversial and on some occasions it seems as if you're less than positive about 5:2 - sometimes the way you word things can appear a bit less tactful than they could be and because of this I can understand why someone might think it was trolling. It was felt that the comment was unjustified and to help calm the argument I gather the post was removed. For the most part this forum has been incredibly peaceful and friendly.

Thank you, Moogie, you expressed it the way I and some other members felt it.

I would just like to add that I love your idea, as much as I love 5:2 and that I second the opinion (I forgot whose it was) that it is only natural that a support forum will host complaints, questions, problems seeking a solution etc because that's what support is.

Just a look at the stats will prove to the haters that they are just envious of those who eat pizza and lose weight.
I "almost" want to walk up to strangers who I think could benefit from 5:2. A motto from my Army days, Lead, Follow, or get the 'HECK' out of my way. So lead the charge Moogie...we will follow!
No reply from The Guardian and it's been a day and a half pretty much - think I'll try Xanthe Clay at The Telegraph and see if she's a bit more swift to respond!
I'd say go for it too! I have recommended it to several friends, many of whom missed the TV programme and are not net-literate, so to see something positive in a newspaper, or perhaps the Waitrose weekend food mag - rather than the monthly glossy one - would be great.

There are always negatives being put out in the press ... we've all got experience of reading that certain foods are good for you, bad for you, whatever.

:clover: :like: :clover: :like: :clover:
Now that MM has added the TDEE section to his website, is it a good idea to promote a WOE that has been changed so drastically?

The press would jump on the fact that so many people are having problems losing weight, which is almost certainly the reason behind this huge change in direction.
I don't think people are having that much trouble, the people I know in real life doing this are up over the stone off mark and really not struggling. They don't hang out round forums either, as they have kids and stuff.

And I've lost 2 stone and it's now deeply ingrained as a habit that I do in many ways enjoy. I've gained so many other benefits. :cool:
So many people are losing weight and I am one of the many! :grin:
tomtank, I don't think MM ever said that calories don't matter, nor did he mean to. His idea was that if someone is eating 'normally' then their weight is stable ipso facto - that's what normal is! So if they carry on doing that on 5 days and then cut drastically on 2 they will lose weight.

This works for most people I believe. It is his idea of 'normal' that is the problem for some, compounded by his then writing carelessly about eating 'whatever you like'. Putting up a TDEE calculator may be a bit cheeky (because Moogie did it first, so he is just copying!) but doesn't undermine his logic IMO. It just gives those who want it a better handle on 'normal'.

BTW 5:2 worked for me right from the start and I did not count calories on non-fast days. (Some) changes to my overall diet (including awareness about calories, but not calorie-counting on non-fast days) came later...
I got back to my 'young woman' weight thanks to 5:2 I choose to maintain, 16/8, which is slightly different to Dr M, 6:1, but that is purely down to eating by numbers. You can use all the numbers you like, in any combination you choose, but the bottom line is I don't eat in the mornings or late at night and if I feel the need to lose a little weight I just cut back eating during the week. There, how numerical was that? More importantly, how easy was that? It's only semantics, words? numbers?...you can make it as easy or as complex as you like. Me? I choose the easy option and for me it works brilliantly,

Ballerina x :heart:
Dominic - page 101 - "Way more importantly, don't count calories on non-fast days. You've got better things to do."
I don't think it's such a big deal some of us do a variation, so what, it's our choice and you will still find 5:2 IF is still the fundamental foundation. Human nature is such that we tinker just like with recipes and once some results are seen you do want to keep the momentum up - hence i think are there other ways to keep loosing weight

This Forum has taken 5:2 to another level. Having read MM's book it would have been cold comfort whereas the hard parts of my journey thus far has been immeasurably supported through this forum. This forum is unique, has a wealth of fabulous information and captured experiences,

I say go for it Moogie it's important.
tomtank wrote: Dominic - page 101 - "Way more importantly, don't count calories on non-fast days. You've got better things to do."

He may say don't count calories, but does he not also say to eat normally (can't check, my book's doing the rounds at the moment) and that most people won't eat more than 10% over their daily needs after a fast day? So although we shouldn't be calorie counting, we should be aware of our daily needs and eating to them loosely.
Moogie - Krista Varidy said in the book that most people only eat about 10% more on the day after a fast day, but this trial involved ADF, not 5:2.

By their own admission, several members of the forum have said that they can't stop eating the day after a fast day.
Can I just draw your attention to this quick analysis I've done: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6270
Thanks tomtank, been ages since I read the book, it's been out on loan for months now!

I think the overeating after a fast has proven to be a bit of a phase most of us go through with this WOE and mostly it seems to calm down (though I'm sure we all overindulge from time to time ;))
47 posts Page 3 of 4