The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Good BMI = slower weight loss?
07 Aug 2013, 01:21
Hello there! My weight loss seems to have stalled after a good start. After 4 weeks I have lost much less than 1 lb per week, lower than the average. Does having a lower BMI affect the speed of weight loss compared to say, a higher BMI? I recall reading this somewhere but I can't locate the thread again even after doing a search.

No change in my exercise schedule since I started this WOE. I am eating less than my TDEE on most days because this WOE has been great in curbing my cravings, and I am more aware of my hunger triggers (stress and boredom). I fast twice a week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays, taking in no more than 500 calories each time, and in fact usually much less - at around 200 to 300 calories.

My BMI is 19 plus. And no, I don't have an eating disorder. I'm just trying to shed 8-10 pounds that have crept up on me. After that I plan to move to maintenance and keeping this WOE for health benefits.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Many thanks!
Yep, those of us who start out with a healthy BMI have an average weight loss of just 250g per week - which is actually more than I've managed.

tracker.php?p=stats
Agree with Tara.

The one pound is an average, so many lose much less.

The reason is in the numbers. The lower your TDEE, the less you are likely to lose.
Thank you, Tara and simcoeluv, for your replies. Not going to give up. It is working, just slow. Patience!
I lost 14 lb in 10 weeks from a BMI of 22.5, with a big drop at the start.

I am a bloke, though, and we tend to lose a bit faster anyway...
I have lost almost 13 pounds in 16 weeks, and almost half of that was lost in the first 3 weeks. After that it's been torturously slow, especially since I now have a healthy BMI. I have learned to accept it (sounds like you have too, though hoping for that magic bullet does no harm ;-) ) as each week my goal is pushed out makes me more committed to doing this permanently.

Good luck!
Agree with Tara too

I lost just 250g too on my first week, not weighed myself since, id rather wait, I am in the healthy BMI range too, so I guess will have to be patient...and keep going, its good to know lots of people have similar experiences though..

:-)
Yes it appears to be a slower journey for the slimmer people
I could've written your post exactly -- I'm also at a healthy BMI, but I want to lose the extra pounds that have been creeping up on me for the past year (and gain the benefits of fasting :) ). My weight fluctuates a lot on this diet, but overall it's been on a slow downward trend. I lost a pound a week for the first two or three weeks, and then sort of reached a plateau... (plus I went on vacation and some new job stress)

Since it's been a slow journey and the fasting days have been difficult to fit into my schedule, I've been thinking about switching to 16:8 with some lower calorie days, or one 6:1 day.
9 posts Page 1 of 1