The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Just checking
16 May 2014, 13:35
Hi I've read on here, so much about people not losing when first starting 5:2. This my story and just wondering if I need to change anything or keep calm & carry on!!!
Start weight 205lbs
First week loss -4lbs
Second week gain 1lb
Third week TOTM didn't weigh
Fourth week (today) gain 1lb
Total loss for the month 2lbs :-(

I'm fasting on Tuesdays & Thursdays
Spinning classes 45 mins weds eve & sun morning
On non fast days I am just below my maintenance allowance
On fast days between 500-550

I only measured last week as I forgot in first few weeks. What I have noticed is my jeans feel loser, last week Walking around Asdas pulling up them up. Now wearing a belt.

What I want to know, is there anything, anyone feels I need to change or should I just stick with what I am doing and no weigh myself ever week.
Thanks in advance
Tracy xx
Re: Just checking
16 May 2014, 14:10
Hi Tracy, As long as you have correctly calculated your maintenance allowance then everything is fine. The fact that you now need a belt suggests that things are going in the right direction, despite what the scales might say.
Keep going and enjoy the journey.
16 May 2014, 14:14
Hi Traydon, scales are highly subjective go with how your jeans feel & wait for things to catch up with each other. Half a pound a week average rate is good, the loss is more permanent that way. Keep checking in on the forum. best of luck.
16 May 2014, 14:15
I would surmise that you probably have a bit of water weight. If I eat too many carbs, especially what based carbs I can put on pounds of weight overnight. If you don't want to adjust your diet yet, you could well find that one week you will have a sudden drop of the water weight so the scales match your waistline. Most of my water sits around my ankles, so I have too tight socks but the waistband is shrinking.
16 May 2014, 14:21
Hello and well done for the loss so far.
My advice to newbies is always to measure and use the progress tracker. Did you get your allowed calories from this site or elsewhere? Take a look at my progress tracker it's ok it's visible for all to see.

I can only speak from my own experience but I tend to lose, then maintain. I don't often lose on many consecutive weeks. I will call our resident expert @caroreesto tell you about the science of fat cells and water fluctuations. Plus exercise slows down weight loss but the toning in my opinion is essential too.

Good luck and yes the journey may be varied but the sustainability and end result is worth it .
Here's a link to a very good thread about newbies and the possible problems questions you may encounter.

5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6317.html
16 May 2014, 16:15
Thanks guys, so helpful and good to know. Caroline, I've just checked my maintenance cal on My a Fitness Pal and it's 1940, but on here it's 2381. Plus I've been eating under my maintenance at around 1600-1700. So if I should be eating what it says on here, I'm under eating by 600-700 cals a day on non fast days. Do you think I should be eating more? plus I burn around 450-500 cals twice a week and I eat some of them but not all.
Thanks
Tracy x
16 May 2014, 16:34
Hi Tracy I am also at that calorie level and as counterintuitive as it seems, if you are fasting at 500 for two or three days and eat around 2000 on your non-fast days, your body will lose weight faster and more consistently. That's how it has been working for me. Look in the 5:2 Lab section, there are many explanations of why eating at your TDEE is important. Of course, as I learned, your TDEE adjusts downward as your weight goes down, so eventually, you will be reducing the daily allotment...I use My Fitness Pal & the Progress tracker here to decide what it should be.
17 May 2014, 11:11
Thank you Mary Lynn, I will now consume 2000 cals on non fast days and also I read on here as well....I think, that I should consume all my excercise cals as well. Will report back in a few weeks and see how I get on
Xx
8 posts Page 1 of 1