The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello All,
As my fastiversary approaches, I'm looking for some ideas!

I love 5:2, I started last March and lost 25lbs. I've kept them off, and never had this much lasting success on any other way of eating.

Problem is, I'm still overweight. I'd like to lose another 15 to make it to a normal BMI.

I lost my 25lbs rather quickly, and then have basically plateaued throughout the winter. Right now, I do a regular 5:2. I eat anything I want on the 5 and don't count calories. I tend to get obsessive about food so this is my favorite aspect about this WOL. I have a little less than 500 on my fasts, usually a 200 calorie lunch and 250 dinner.

What advice do you have? Should I count calories on my 5 days? Try for 16:8 on my 5 days? Exercise? What do you think will get weightloss started up again, whilst being relatively easy to do and stick with?

Thanks!
Have you considered going wheat-free and sugar-free on your 5 feed days? After reading a tremendous amount about the ill effects of wheat and sugar on the human body, and especially their contribution to the obesity epidemic, I went wheat-free and sugar-free after 6 weeks into my 5:2 fast (this was 3 weeks ago). I think this has had a very positive impact on my continued weight loss. The first week is tough...but if you can make a commitment to try it for 4 weeks....it won't seem so overwhelming. And there are LOTS of delicious food you can eat--pretty much everything other than wheat and sugar. I also cut out artificial sweeteners to try to break my sweet-tooth addiction. This has been the most difficult for me. Good luck!
I would pay serious attention to what you eat on your feast days, perhaps throw the odd 16/8 in but more importantly I would try and lower my carb intake, increase my fat intake and if 16/8 is too hard for you I would definitely not eat a carb heavy breakfast or dinner, just have them at lunchtime. Whatever you decide I hope it works as you have already done incredibly well, good luck

Ballerina x :heart:
I count my calories on my feed days during the week, and then the weekend I still allow myself to eat freely. I feel it's still a decent amount that I get to eat on my feed days, but counting the calories just makes sure I don't overdo it!
I'd second/third the advice to cut carbs. I lost weight OK from Feb to July last year, then was on a plateau till Oct, then a slow gain till after Christmas. I then drastically cut carbs, got a pedometer and ensured I was walking around 10k steps per day, and I have turned it round, and have finally lost the lbs I gained, and have reached a new low. I feel good on low-carb, and find it pretty easy to stick to - I forget about it when I'm out, but am strict at home.
25 pounds?! That's amazing and is a wonderful testament to your willpower and determination. Well done you!!

I'm afraid my advice is always the same...try ADF! I really love this way of fasting and have lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks. Like you, this is the longest I have stuck with any form of weight loss plan. It's just brilliant isn't it. ADF works for me because I need the structure. If I'm naughty on a feast day I know I can make up for it the next day. If my hungry on a fast day then I know I can eat tomorrow! What's not to like?!

Whatever you decide, good luck xx

Bean :starving:
Well done with that amazing loss. Whilst exercise will tone you and make your body look trimmer it may make you gain a bit of weight. I would always advocate exercise as it releases your "happy juices" and improves your cardiovascular health too. Maybe exercise will help kick start your loss again as it still burn cals. Let us know how you get on. Maybe someone more knowledgable with kick starting loss will come along and sort you out. Someone who has also plateaued,(there is a thread) and had a successful re feed maybe.
I'm on plateau too, and also weighing up my options. I've been 5:2 for over a year, lost 11kg, but am still at my Xmas weight now. I cut sugar out for a few weeks (not specifically to lose weight, but I hoped that would be a side effect) and wound up putting on a kilo (only time I've put on weight since starting 5:2). I think one of the reasons 5:2 has worked for me is I don't have to count calories - it's either a fast day and I don't eat, or it's not a fast day, so I eat. This seems to stop me from craving food, obsessing about food, overeating, or any other unhealthy behaviour.

I know that diet is the main factor in weight loss, but after my sugar failure, I'm going to just relax back into my eating of last year, and instead add some HIT. Last time I plateaued, it was buying my pedometer which got me losing again (join us over at the Fitbit group :) ) and while I mean to do Hit twice a week, I've realised that I haven't actually done any for a while. So I'm doing sprints once a week (started yesterday) and then will do the 7 minute app (all body weight exercises, push ups etc) a couple of times a week, and hopefully that gets me losing again.
I suggest check this thread out for consideration of ongoing exercise options

resources-links-f3/why-diets-fail-t11699-30.html#p165366.

Also there is the current thread on famine effect.

is the-5-2-lab-f10/the-famine-effect-a-myth-or-reality-t11742.html#p164797

It seems people who just keep on keeping on with 5:2 are reaping the benefits and if you ratchet it up you may delay things unwittingly
Take a hard look at your nonfast days. If you don't want to count calories, maybe keep a food diary. Not forever, just long enough to get an idea what you're eating. Recalculate your TDEE--it will be lower now you've lost 25lbs. Figure out what your weakness is if you don't know already. I started doing 16:8 because I realized my breakfast was empty calories and I was snacking in the evening. It's brought my calorie count right down.
10 posts Page 1 of 1