The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

21 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Frustration is setting in
01 Mar 2013, 10:02
That's my only gripe with the 5:2, I think the wording in the book & programme was wrong "Eat what you like"
to a lot of people that sounds like you can start eating all the normally off limits stuff on feed days and still lose weight as long as you do the fast days.
They should've stuck with the "Eat normal", then if you do normally eat chocolate and sweets from morning till night and do the fast days obviously you will lose weight :roll:
01 Mar 2013, 12:51
SianS wrote: Frustration is setting in for me too. In the first 2 weeks I saw good weight loss and lost inches off my waist, but have stalled in both over the last 2 weeks. My TDEE is around 2100 and I have kept under 500 cals on Fast days, gradually moving more calories to my evening meal. On Feast days I have eaten in the range 1500 to 1800 calories a day. I exercise every day (30 mins on a Cross Trainer and some toning exercises)
Sian :?

Hi Sian, if I read your profile correctly, you've lost 3 kg in 3 weeks - and some inches. That sounds pretty good to me, I thought 0.5 kg per week was the average weight loss when you're overweight (not obese)! So don't lose heart yet.
I don't know your age, but there is a considerable variation in fluid retention during the menstrual cycle, so that could play a role as well. Frustrating in the short run, but may resolve when you look at it over a period of several weeks.
It also seems your calorie intake on feed days is still an energy restriction, i.e. < TDEE (calculated including the cross-trainer?) - you are eating what I did when I was doing a conventional calorie-restricted diet (without the cross trainer). On top of that there are the 2 days with very few calories. Maybe your metabolism has slowed down because it thinks there is a shortage "out there"? The body tends to get very energy efficient when underfed, so giving the signal that all is well out there, not a famine going on, might help to restart the metabolism.
Personally, I would try eating a more on (at least some of) the feed days, certainly not restrict it even more. Take your time with this, and enjoy your food - that's what I like about this approach!
01 Mar 2013, 16:11
Definitely agree with the confusion about "eat what you like" versus "eat normally". For the first few weeks I gleefully added buttered crumpets to my "normal" diet even though they're not at all normal for me - I just wish they were!
01 Mar 2013, 16:54
Coffeecat, Thank you for your reply, I know the initial weight loss in my profile looks good, but I had been on a restricted Carbs diet till I discovered 5:2. My TDEE is calculated taking the daily exercise into account, and for reference I am 52 years old.
I'm not planning to give up as I do actually enjoy my Fast days (just back from a feast day lunch with a friend where I was signing the praises of 5:2). It is now the weekend so very much Feast time for me, I'll think about some different approaches over the weekend, and see how they pan out next week.
Have a great weekend
Sian
25 Mar 2013, 23:00
I am so happy to have found this forum. I'm a little ahead of the 5:2 craze here in the States and have no one here to compare notes with. I'm on week 4 and while I head into the weekends in great shape (my fasting days are Mon and Thur), I always end up back at the same weight on Monday morning. I plan to hang in there, but I'm a bit frustrated. Drinking lots of water, trying not to go too overboard on eating days and working out each morning. Based on posts by others, it might backfire if I try fasting an additional day. Any ideas?
28 Mar 2013, 20:54
Another thing that might be contributing to your frustration is wondering whether you are eating enough? I know this has been mentioned in this thread before. I use myfitnesspal to help me keep track of everything I eat. This is not for everyone, I realize, but I've had a life-long food/overeating thing and it is helping me become aware of the mindless eating I've done, the boredom eating, the emotional stress eating, etc.

But also that when I decide to lose weight, I go into full-on obsessive, over-restrictive, "hurry up and lose weight now" mode.

This article at MFP helped me realize what I was doing to my body:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show ... not-losing

It's very informative, and since I've recalculated my TDEE and adjusted my mindset and awareness, I find that as long as I'm not eating total crap (greasy, fried stuff or tons of sweets), then I *can* eat pretty much as much as I want on 'feed' days. I was not eating *enough*. I have to accept that weight loss is going to be slow, especially now that I've dumped the 5 pound 'water weight' that always comes off quickly/easily.

Keep learning and searching for answers. Your health is worth it! :)
21 posts Page 2 of 2