The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

17 posts Page 1 of 2
I need help...
17 May 2013, 17:52
Hi all, I have been on 5:2 fast diet almost 5 weeks now but I have not lose any weight, I don't know to give up or not. I need to lose 10 pound but seems like I cant do it even I did fast Mon-wed- fri last week.I do eat about 400 calories on my fast day only 6 pm so no breakfast no lunch plenty black tea until 6pm then to next morning until 10 am.I am not big eater on nonfast days either.So I really don't know what to do any suggestion? What week looks like this,
Sunday 6:00 pm last meal until
Monday 6:00 pm 400 calories dinner nothing else until
Tuesday 7:00am coffee with milk then normal day 6:00 pm last meal
Wednesday 6"00 pm 400 calories dinner nothing else until
Thursday 7:00am coffee with milk then normal day 6:00 pm last meal
Friday 7:00am coffee with milk then normal day 6:00 pm last meal
Saturday and Sunday normal meals
Am I doing anything wrong, because I am not losing any weight
Re: I need help...
17 May 2013, 18:10
There will be people more experienced than me on soon, but do not give up. I wonder if you are not eating enough, you know the starvation response?
17 May 2013, 18:10
Have you measured? It is possible that your fat loss is being masked by muscle gain.
Have you worked out your TDEE? What are your calories on normal days? You say you aren't a big eater on normal days but it's not saying what you are eating.
You have the fast days down, so it's probable that a tweak on the feed days will help.
You say you need to lose 10 lbs, what is your weight, bmi etc now?
Do you have any medical conditions?
17 May 2013, 18:19
Sorry to hear that you are not getting the results yet owen888, let's see what we can come up with...

Your plan looks a good one. You are undereating on your fast days (400 cals) which isn't a problem and eating normally otherwise which looks good too.

First, you should read the topic Why do the scales show an increase when I've been so good? (even though you haven't gained thank heaven, just not lost)

Even after 5 weeks there could be some factors masking the weight loss, although that's less likely after such a long time.

The most likely factor I'm afraid is, as Betsysgr8 has suggested, that although you feel you are eating normally on the non-fast days, you are actually consuming more than your TDEE. If you have started using the 'Progress Tracker' here it gives you a figure for your TDEE (sedentary) based on the numbers you put in, and it is usually a pretty good guide unless you are getting a lot of exercise. Have you tried to work this out and compare with what you actually take in on those days? Remember to count the drinks (alcohol and sugar!)
17 May 2013, 18:23
You say you're not a big eater so I'm wondering if you're not getting enough calories on your feed days.

Its worth keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks so you can see everything you're consuming.
17 May 2013, 18:40
Have your measurements changed cos some people lose inches not pounds to begin with?

But I'm with lassemista & imcountingufoz - are you sure you're eating enough on normal days? It does seem to help if you change your calorie allowance around instead of having the same amount every non fast day. Some of us on the forum have found that having a bit of a blow out can kick start weight loss.
19 May 2013, 21:36
Thank you lassemista, Betsysgr8, dominic, imcountingufoz, Scotty for trying to help me,
I am not consuming more than 1200 cals on non fast days sometimes less then that. I have gerd so I have to be careful what I eat.I don't take any sugar for tea or coffee and I love fruit.At the moment I am 128 pounds and 5'2 height I would like go down least 10 pounds for my health and I cant do it.
19 May 2013, 21:56
How much of your calorie intake is fruit and what is your feed day eating pattern ?
19 May 2013, 22:31
128 pounds for 5ft 2" sounds like a healthy weight to me - it could be that you're struggling to lose weight because you really don't need to lose that much? Do you exercise regularly? If no, that might help you make the change you're looking for. :oops:
20 May 2013, 10:58
Owen888, I don't know how old you are so I threw some random ages in a TDEE calculator. For a 128 lb sedentary 5'2" female age 30 TDEE is 1627 cals, 50 y/o TDEE is 1514 and 65 y/o is TDEE 1430. If you are eating less than 1200 cals on normal days, you aren't eating enough and could be slowing your metabolism down making it more difficult to lose. Stick to 400-500 cals on fast days and eat up to your TDEE or just eat sensibly but not count cals on normal days for 2-4 weeks and see what happens. :smile:
20 May 2013, 12:51
PhilT , my calorie intake for fruit is about 300. Feed day pattern is usually coffee with non fat milk without sugar for breakfast
lunch apple , 2 slice bread cheese and some nuts
dinner salad, meat(not every time because I don't like meat that much)and apple.
Betsysgr8,I am 45 years old
Cheekylou82,I don't exercise regularly but I am really active
20 May 2013, 12:56
Just wanted to pop in and say hi Owen, it looks like you're getting some useful responses here - glad you posted on the forum as well as emailing me :)
20 May 2013, 13:24
owen888 wrote: PhilT , my calorie intake for fruit is about 300. Feed day pattern is usually coffee with non fat milk without sugar for breakfast
lunch apple , 2 slice bread cheese and some nuts
dinner salad, meat(not every time because I don't like meat that much)and apple.

I'm not seeing 300 calories of fruit there ? Two apples would be less than that I think. I admit to having a bias as a lower carb eater but I wouldn't think getting that much sugar is necessarily a great idea esp as over half of it is liver fattening fructose.

Is breakfast really a cup of coffee made with skimmed milk ?
20 May 2013, 13:30
Owen888,
My starting weight and height are very similar to your own, If you look at my progress chart you can see I am making steady but SLOW progress. Starting at a healthy BMI, it makes sense that weight loss will be a little slower. Having said that- I typically have between 1500- and 1900 on feed days. Only accidentally have I eaten only 1200 on a feed day. I know everyone is different, but it is possible you may be getting to0 little on your feed days (I am active- but do virtually no additional exercise)
20 May 2013, 16:35
Hi Moogie,
PhilT yes breakfast is only coffee I am not breakfast person at all and plus I eat other kinds of fruit as well I don't eat that much fruit to worrie about fructose I don't think,
like Kevanneg say as well maybe I am not eating enough
17 posts Page 1 of 2