The FastDay Forum

Not losing weight?

Help us to help you! Please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!
Remember, we're not here to judge, we're here to help.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
6 1/2 pounds in a week???
06 Jun 2013, 16:04
hi
before you start congratulating me, I put it on! How is this possible? Fast days were fine, but I did go on a bit of a 3 day bender over rthe weekend as it was my birthday. Also, I have given up coffee as of monday, could it be that? A bit devastated
Re: 6 1/2 pounds in a week???
06 Jun 2013, 16:11
Hi & welcome!

Sounds to me like this is mostly water weight, as to gain that much in a week you'd have to overeat by almost 23,000 calories - a good 11+ days worth of food!

Did you weigh at the same time of day, on the same scales?

Remember, some foods cause you to retain more water, especially things like bread, pasta, rice etc. Don't put too much stock in it. I ate like a total pig on holiday and had my birthday immediately after - I gained 4lbs over the course of that week but I know I ate enough to do that! I don't think 3 days of overeating could that easily result in such a gain. Keep going and weigh again in a week, I bet it's all gone as it wasn't actual fat gained.
06 Jun 2013, 16:42
Well I hope you are right! I was very upset as it has taken me 5 months to lose the last 10 pounds. To put most of it back on was a bit of a shock to say the least.
I did eat a lot of halloumi and that's quite salty (and fatty!) maybe that makes you retain water?
06 Jun 2013, 16:47
Oh yes, halloumi is probably the culprit! lovely salty squeakiness of it *yum*
06 Jun 2013, 21:44
Don't worry melanie. I recently had a long weekend away with some friends and managed to put on 5kgs (11lbs) !!! :shock:

After 4 fast days, not only had it all gone, but it had taken another lb with it too. :grin:
06 Jun 2013, 22:15
I find that salty food makes my weight go up in an alarming way. Salt makes you retain water. Keep going and drink plenty of water. Check how much salt you are eating - there is a heap of hidden salt in many ready made meals and processed foods, for instance. Or perhaps you habitually salt your food?
07 Jun 2013, 13:53
No, I never eat salt usually - even have unsalted butter (not that I ever eat that either). Jemima, 11lbs is impressive! Here's hoping mine has gone by next week too.
07 Jun 2013, 14:12
After my holiday in April, I put on 9.5lbs! (And I didn't think that I had been that bad! :confused: ) I went straight back on 5:2 and over the next three weeks I lost 2.25, 6.25 and 4.25! I was strict with myself making sure that my fasts did not go over 500cals and that I was sensible of feast days. I know that I have loads to lose but it can be done!
Stick at it, this forum provides really positive support.
(Since my holiday, I put on 2.5lbs inexplicably and last week lost 3.75) As long as it goes in the right direction I'm really happy. :smile:
07 Jun 2013, 14:56
It was a shock though as I have been dieting since Jan 2012 and never put on more than 2 pounds in one week after being naughty- even over christmas only put on 4lbs in 2 weeks. After switching to 5:2 have been losing steadily. Hey ho lets see what next week brings
9 posts Page 1 of 1