The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Trust Me I'm a Doctor 3
27 Oct 2013, 11:26
Nice to see that initial scientific data is showing that oats are good for gut bacteria. I have them for breakfast every morning (when not fasting) and if I do a 16:8, I love them so much, I'll have them for "lunch"....

Hopefully my gut appreciates them....
Re: Trust Me I'm a Doctor 3
27 Oct 2013, 12:09
Mmm i am a fan too Domane
Cheap,cheerful,filling,healthy,taste good..whats not to like :)
27 Oct 2013, 15:11
"Good" carbs too!!! ;)
28 Oct 2013, 16:04
A good bowl of porridge made with water no sugar but loads of strawberries ( even the winter ones) and blueberries, canny whack it. I try 16/8 nowadays but it makes a scrummy warming lunch in the cold winter days. :wink: :grin:
28 Oct 2013, 16:55
Agree there Nessie - been part of my 5:2 menu for months, I think it was after I started on the porridge for 'lunch' (having given up breakfast 'a la ballerina' :cool: ) that I really began to lose weight, although slowly. It also plugs that hunger gap nicely until you can have your evening calories :victory: :like:
28 Oct 2013, 17:12
I watched this, and was surprised by quite how much porridge he ate each day. I can'tremember the amount, but thought it was around 4 or 5 times what I'd consider a "normal" portion?
28 Oct 2013, 18:29
Yes he ate 100g!!!! I have 50g and I thought THAT was a lot!!!
28 Oct 2013, 19:38
Blimey! I just have the graze breakfast porridge, 145 - 176 cals max!
28 Oct 2013, 21:15
Domane wrote: Yes he ate 100g!!!! I have 50g and I thought THAT was a lot!!!

I know! I have 35 g which is 136 cals 23.9 g of carb

I was cheered coz when i saw him have 100 grams, i thought i had miscalculated

Alas no..100 g oats is 368 cals 62g carb :confused:
28 Oct 2013, 21:20
Being a Scottish girl I absolutely adore porridge, always have, always will. Nothing better on a winter morning/afternoon/evening than a big steaming hot bowl of porridge!
28 Oct 2013, 21:26
The absolutely best porridge in the world is made in a slow cooker from the night before. Its divine. The grains have broken down into a smooth creamy consistency that is like silk in the mouth. Even made with water its better overnight.
It is the traditional way to do porridge, the porridge would be put on the back of the stove (coal/woodburner) to slowly cook till morning, saving time in the morning.
28 Oct 2013, 23:12
The bit about pollution was interesting. The fact that you inhale less pollution walking alongside a busy road than driving on it was a real eye-opener. And the impact of those little silver beeches!
29 Oct 2013, 08:25
Yes, the pollution bit was really interesting. It certainly made me think as I was out running on Sunday morning, breathing heavily as loads of cars drove past me....
29 Oct 2013, 08:50
Haven't watched this yet (have recorded it), but interested in the oats - love porridge, but it never really seems to fill me up that much. It's my pre-event breakfast if I'm doing a run or swim, usually with some banana, honey and trail mix. I think it's becoming more available in cafes, Wetherspoons, etc nowadays than it used to be.
29 Oct 2013, 11:24
Egduf wrote: Haven't watched this yet (have recorded it), but interested in the oats - love porridge, but it never really seems to fill me up that much. It's my pre-event breakfast if I'm doing a run or swim, usually with some banana, honey and trail mix. I think it's becoming more available in cafes, Wetherspoons, etc nowadays than it used to be.

Try the Sainsburys Taste the Difference Jumbo oats - they are much bigger and make a heck of a difference... well worth the extra money...
17 posts Page 1 of 2