The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Soooo depleted of energy!
08 Jan 2014, 17:03
I gave blood on Saturday and I'd read that this can affect runners so I did a very gentle 3km on Sunday. Then fasted Monday, ate my usual "eating" calories yesterday and went for another run but felt exhausted. I had to stop and walk after just 2km and don't talk to me about running uphill!!! Today I am fasting again and I've just got back from doing the horses and I'm still so depleted of energy.... found it hard to push a half-barrow of poop uphill (a full one is never a problem these days) and carrying a bale of hay up to where I feed them, I nearly fell over from the exertion.

I never felt like this last year when I was losing the weight. Not anaemic (blood was fine at the weekend) and I'm eating lots of veggies and lean meat as well as my beloved porridge! I don't feel ill at all, no sore throat etc and I don't feel tired like I need to go to sleep, I just have no energy if I exert myself - even running up the stairs at the moment is giving me "fizzy legs"

I hope it passes soon.... I really enjoy running usually but I just feel so knackered....
Re: Soooo depleted of energy!
08 Jan 2014, 18:50
I have no suggestions, but you have my sympathy, you are such an active person this must be really frustrating for you :heart:

And thank you for this post as it reminded me that I have a Blood Donor session tomorrow so can't fast and that I should have been taking an iron supplement to make sure I don't get turned down.
08 Jan 2014, 19:08
I've no wise words for you either Domane, touchwood, I've never had a problem after giving blood and then running the next day. Although I did many rears ago when I really overdid it just after a session and was fainting all over the place and nearly ended up in an ambulance - my fault entirely. It's probably just one of those thing, or time of year. Hope you are back to your normal self soon.
08 Jan 2014, 20:14
Sounds like you may have over stressed your body. Have you read this article by Brad Pilon: http://www.niashanks.com/2013/07/interm ... -it-wrong/ and the thread on here about that article: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/fasting-you-re-doing-it-wrong-article-by-brad-pilon-t8861-15.html

Maybe take a break from fasting and other stressors? Perhaps you're sickening for a cold or something?
08 Jan 2014, 20:54
A maybe just a stock cube drink about 1/2 hour before exertion...
08 Jan 2014, 20:56
Also, are you low carbing? Might be you're too depleted in glycogen to do high intensity exercise like running...
08 Jan 2014, 22:04
I know that feeling, I was like that just before Christmas. I just had 2 slices of toast. It worked for me
08 Jan 2014, 22:16
Oh dear, crisis stations when a bale of hay is a struggle ...

I can "identify with you" but on totally different levels :

1) struggling with a wheelbarrow full of poop is what made me (finally) give up smoking

2) blood giving is important, but I can't do it as I l live in France & as I was in the UK in the mad cow years, I'm not allowed to give blood :(

Don't worry, you'll get over it, you're strong, today was just a blip !!!!!
08 Jan 2014, 22:56
I'm with you on the want to give blood Annie. I actually 'need' to give blood as I have highish Ferratin levels and there are only two ways to reduce it and that's by bleeding you, or by giving nasty chemicals to latch onto the iron and hope it gets ejected that way. But, I received blood 27 years ago at the start of the Aids worry, and even though we were told that the blood was heat treated at the time, the blood service won't take it. My Ferratin just isn't high enough to need direct intervention.
09 Jan 2014, 17:14
I think I have worked out why I'm feeling like I am. It's a mental rather than a physical thing. I've been looking after an elderly little Welsh pony who is at my yard. I've been keeping an eye on her for the last couple of years and the owner hasn't been to see her for months. I've been looking after her for a couple of years and I've decided that my good nature is being abused so on New Year's day I wrote a nice email to the owner giving her a month's "notice" and saying I won't have the time to look after my 4 AND hers. Unfortunately, she has used attack as a form of defence and turned really nasty - all I have ever shown her is kindness - really turning on me, calling me a bully, a tittle-tattle and a control freak along the way, when all I had was her pony's best interests at heart. I've been left to my own devices for periods of months on end so of course I've been in control - someone had to be!!

Anyway, the upshot is that she re-took over her pony's care from Friday 3rd and whilst I haven't bumped into her yet, it's only a matter of time. It was always such a lovely, relaxing place to be, my little yard and I feel that she has tainted my leisure time and I now dread seeing her there. And I think THAT is what has affected me. I feel like I am constantly under a black cloud now - and that is manifesting itself as this fatigued sensation. Not sure how to "snap out of it", to be honest - or even if I can yet, so I'll just keep plodding on as I am for the time being....

:(
09 Jan 2014, 17:47
That is truly awful Domane, no wonder you are feeling a little out of sorts. I hope you pick up soon but if you are like me the you will now be worrying about the poor animal. Good luck,

Ballerina x :heart:
09 Jan 2014, 17:50
Oh she's fine, Ballerina. Now that I've officially been dumped, earlier than the notice period I'd given, the owner is doing her bit. She's in a different paddock to mine now, so I've effectively handed over a third of my grazing to a tiny pony, but if it keeps the owner out of my way then such is life. I just feel like my good nature has been abused and that hurts....
10 Jan 2014, 06:05
It really is tremendously hurtful when someone takes advantage of you & there's a tendancy to say to oneself "well that's the last time I do someone a favour like that" but you won't stop 'cos it's much nicer being nice in life & the good thing about being nice is that the flip side of the hurt of being taken advantage of is the pleasure of helping others & that's going to come out on top every time :) :) :)

Horrible people MUST be unhappy people. How on earth can you be happy being horrible?

You're a nice person & nice people should be happy people, so just get back to being happy please :heart: :heart:
13 posts Page 1 of 1