The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
PORRIDGE
13 Feb 2013, 23:16
Hello.

I am just in my second week on the diet.

My fast days consist of porridge for a late breakfast at approx 10 am.

Zero calorie drinks ( one diet coke, 3 cups of black tea, no sugar )

Then a meal at Tea time keeping to within the magic 600 calories.

More black tea in the evening.

My question is about porridge.

How many calories would you say there is in 50g of waitrose porridge oats. 200 mls of semi skimmed milk. 1 table spoon of sugar?

I only ask because depends on which site you go on depends on how they score the calories in the porridge.

I make it around about 320 calories.

Thanks

gooner
Re: PORRIDGE
14 Feb 2013, 03:01
60 in the sugar, 100 in the milk, 180 in the oats = 340
14 Feb 2013, 08:13
Sites do vary, don't they? I've found one that gives 100g banana 89 calories, but The Book says it is 103. That's a 10% variance, quite a lot when you're only allowed 500/600 to start with!
14 Feb 2013, 10:14
We are using the Quakers oat so simple 33g sachets and making with water. If you have the golden syrup or sweet cinnemon, they are 137 cals max. no need for sugar or milk. As long as you give them a vigorous stir after 1 minute and again at the end they are really creamy. This saves more calories for the evening meal.
14 Feb 2013, 11:18
I started eating oats for breakfast, usually with a bit of granola, as a health thing years ago (about my only one, at least back then) - soluble fibre I think was the reason. (I don't usually make porridge, though I like that too.)

Then I read here about bad carbs and began to wonder if a bowl of oats (with semi-skimmed milk) every (non-fasting) morning was such a good idea. I read some stuff at Mark's Daily Apple the gist of which (I paraphrase) is 'all carbs are poison, if you have to kill yourself this way, oats may be a slightly less gruesome way of doing it, but why would you want to?'

It seemed a bit extreme to me (especially the comments) - sorry, I'm not familiar with that website. But it did make me wonder about the 'oats are good' mantra...
14 Feb 2013, 16:48
I always go with what NV's are on the packaging but when I add these items you list into MyFitnessPal I get 315 cals total but that is assuming I have selected the correct waitrose porridge oats!
6 posts Page 1 of 1