The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hope to change for life
16 Jul 2013, 09:28
Hi,
I'm Jane, 43, a nurse, Mother of 2 girls, 5 and 2. Just shy of 17 stone (me, not the girls) I'm 5 ft 2 " (and a bit!) I have tried diets, I've lost the same half a stone over and over, so now I think it's time to just change how I eat for life and keep off those faddy diets. My hubby is joining me so this will help.

Things that I am interested in is how people cope with shift work on fast days, especially nights, my hours are all over the place, so when to eat will be a challenge, and keeping off that 3 am sweets fest.

I am on beta blockers for my blood pressure, I monitor my own BP, so it will be interesting to see how that changes over time.

So here goes!
Re: Hope to change for life
16 Jul 2013, 10:14
Greetings and best wishes as I used to do shift work which made my eating patterns chaotic, particularly the night shifts (actually I had to work 23 hrs straight). One of the big advantages of 5:2 is that you can choose when to do your fast day so that should help - also a big bonus that your hubby is also doing 5:2. I found it best to calculate my TDEE and record calories for the first few weeks so I got a better idea of portion sizes and calorie values. Lots of information on this friendly forum and looking forward to reading about how you get on.
16 Jul 2013, 10:28
I don't do shift work but I embarked on this because my bp was up to 153/105 ish. It's worked well and I've lost two stone. The bp started to go down straightaway & I started exercising more so give it a go! :-)
16 Jul 2013, 10:54
Hi,
I haven't been doing this long (7 weeks) and haven't lost as quick as some people (and am currently annoyed at myself after going to Barcelona for 4 days, walking like a mad thing all day in 29 degree heat and not overeating and yet I've managed to put on 2 kg! Gutted.) Anyhow - only lost about 8lbs so far but I too take meds for BP and have noticed a significant difference already for the better. I think this forum v helpful btw and people's success stories spur me on. Good luck!
16 Jul 2013, 11:02
Your post reminded me to check my bp, reading was 129/75, which I think is much better! Though you'll know better than me and I'm hoping the nurse at the GPs will be happy with me when it's checked at the end of the month.

The thought of going on medication is what started this for me. It's fine, you'll take a while to adapt to living off your fat (intake of carbs in a usual diet is easier for the body to process) and you'll discover your brain will try to derail you but if you ignore it (eat if REALLY hungry) and drink instead (water, boullion or coffee/tea, not wine) it'll shut up after a while.

Now I find it hard to eat on a fast day if I need to (change in schedule) as I'm so used to the routine.
16 Jul 2013, 11:12
Hi Jane and welcome, can't help with the shifts question, but deffo on the
Change for life because 13 weeks in for me and I have already dramatically changed for life + no going back moved down a group from M/obese bought my bmi down over 4 points, lost 2 stone and for the first time in many years seen the number #16 on the scales :heart: :heart:
Love this WOL/WOE but still a long wet to go but will get there Deffo coz I'm so motivated. Good luck to you :clover: Sue
16 Jul 2013, 11:15
Some good tips, thank you ! BBT053 that BP is perfect! I live in hope for mine ! My BMI is 43 ! I should be 7 feet tall, so good to see you are doing well Sue x
16 Jul 2013, 11:17
Hi there,.
I am a shift worker and find nights and 5:2 work well, actually tend to lose a wee bit more weight then :). I treat the fasts the same, it's just your eating and sleeping is turned around. Hope that makes sense, cos I know what I mean! As for the 3am/4am munchies moment....... Coffee, tea or if it's a bad moment diet coke (it works) and a bit of will power will get you there.
Good luck
16 Jul 2013, 11:18
Welcome! :grin:
9 posts Page 1 of 1