The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

41 posts Page 1 of 3
Sidney's Progress
12 Aug 2014, 18:23
Ok, I'm going to try this journaling thing; although it may be shooting myself in the foot ....maybe permission to just STOP if this feels counterproductive. I have lost 3 lbs since beginning 5:2 about a month ago. Given this old lady, sedentary body, that is progress. Progress is good. Provided it is downwards. Today is a fasting day and yet another cup of coffee...trying to hold out till the evening meal. That will be 4 oz. of salmon and as many veggies as I want.

Now on to some overdue work and hopefully distraction.
Re: Sidney's Progress
12 Aug 2014, 18:32
Keep going @sidney, may the Fast be with you!
12 Aug 2014, 18:41
@sidney
Welcome to this fantastic forum, there's plenty of help and advice on hand for you whenever you need it from all the members who are all lovely people just shout anytime of
the day or night.
Well done on your weightloss that's a great start for you and will provide you with motivation to carry on into the next week.
:clover: Good. Luck :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
12 Aug 2014, 22:19
Hi - well done on your weight loss so far!! keep up with the journal you will find it helps I hope. I started doing my journal 8 weeks ago and am so glad I did. It's nice to get my thoughts and feelings down in writing instead if keeping it all in my head. It helps to keep me on track and means I don't have to explain what I am doing to anyone cos you lot all know lol!!!
Keep up the good work cos it is so worth it:-)
12 Aug 2014, 23:11
Welcome to the forums, Nutjob :-)
12 Aug 2014, 23:17
That's a great weightloss so far. Well done
12 Aug 2014, 23:23
Welcome Sidney and Nutjobxx
18 Aug 2014, 17:00
I have posted 1x but it doesn't show up....what am I doing wrong? I'm not totally computer illiterate...maybe it will work now...Last Friday was a fast day and a disaster. My fast days are 350 - 500 calories and I put away 800. Note to self: Never, never, NEVER drink on a fast day. Haven't had hard liquor in forever and this made me queasy enough to forgo a workout and a weigh-in on Sat morning! Aarrggghhh!
So today, Monday, back on track with a fast day. Weigh in tomorrow could be discouraging. Preparing.
18 Aug 2014, 21:31
Hi Sidney and welcome! :)

Don't beat yourself up about an 800cal fast day - pretty well all of us have days when we exceed those cals - and that was still less cals that you would have expended. But probably is a good idea to not have alcohol on fast days!!

Did you work out what was going wrong when trying to post? If you describe the situation, someone may be able to advise on what happened and how to avoid it in future.

I think it is a great idea to document your thoughts as you go - will give a very valuable insight into what works and doesn't for you, and how you react in different situations.

Very best wishes for your journey with this Way Of Life. :)
19 Aug 2014, 03:51
Thanks Sassy...love your name...I've just started cycling 3X a week same time as beginning 5:2 (motto - Do nothing by halves!) and it's a killer for me...that's good.
19 Aug 2014, 15:40
Thanks Sidney :)

Are you cycling on an exercise bike or out in the fresh air? I love the latter, but live in a very hilly area so have to drive somewhere where I can manage to cycle first, which means I don't cycle outside very often. I have an exercise bike too, and as my signature says, am doing the MM HIT regime - well I was, til I went on holidays, and have yet to get back to it properly...

Enjoy! :D
21 Aug 2014, 03:16
Hey again, Sassy! Good to hear from you... I looked up Melbourne. What a fascinating continent Australia must be! You have inspired me to do some research. :geek: Cycling would be nice out of doors, if I didn't live in a metroplex where it's blistering hot in the summer. As it is, I drive to a 24 Hour Fitness center and do a 50 minute cycling class on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Except last Saturday and next Saturday when I will watch my granddaughter preform in a children's theatre. The cycling is pretty grueling. Last Tuesday the instructor reminded us that if we weren't breathless after 10 min., we weren't doing it right. On the bright side, some calf muscles are showing up that I'd forgotten...
How long have you been on 5:2? And how long working out?
21 Aug 2014, 06:36
Hi again Sidney :)

Australia is certainly a great continent - I am sure America is too! :D I haven't been there, but my hubby and younger son have had 2 trips to the US with Scouts, and have been to Texas, hosted by the El Paso scouts. Had a great time. :) Which city are you in and what's a metroplex? (I could look it up too...) How old is your g/d? Bet you are proud of her!

50min cycle class - I am sure it is gruelling! I went to a spin class once - never again. Hated it and came down sick afterwards!!! (Not related I am sure, but didn't help with my opinion of the class.) Good for you for undertaking it tho! :)

You can see my 5:2 stats next to my post. I had been following 5:2 for several months before finding the forums. I read a brief article about 5:2 in a British magazine and armed with only the small amount of info it contained - ie only eat 500cals 2 days a week - decided that was something I could do. And I have! As you will see from my Progress Tracker, I lost weight pretty steadily and have been maintaining for a while now - tho this is challenging (I have written lots of posts on this subject!!)

I wouldn't call what I do "working out", but my exercise regime is walk the dogs up hill and down dale for 50 mins every day, plus the MM HIT 3 times a week, and the Joanna Soh 6 days a week - these don't take long. I did start the c25k but stopped when I went on hols and haven't started again yet. Have been walking the dogs for a couple of years, started the other stuff whenever the challenge started - can't recall when.

Hope 5:2 is continuing well for you.

Cheers! :)
22 Aug 2014, 05:48
Oh my gosh, Sassy! You are pretty incredible. Those are some amazing stats! You lost pretty darned steadily and most amazing, you are maintaining. I think that is the hardest part by far. I have tried to view your posts on the subject, but don't know my way around the forum yet and will make an effort to do that tomorrow.

I also don't know the jargon. Do know MM, but what is HIT? And a c25kg? I did another cycling class today. Not sure what the difference is between that and spinning. :confused: But if you are out walking dogs up and down hill for 50 minutes, that IS a workout. Probably one reason you've done so well. Don't you think?

I live in Ft. Worth, TX which is only about an hour away from Dallas. These are the large cities and around and in-between are 40 (guessing) or so little towns each with its own city hall, police, schools, post office, etc. In driving, one is not aware of any boundary between one and another city. So the entire area is just called the 'metroplex'. My grandchildren live in one of the cities between FW and Dallas. Reed (g/d) is 12 and I love her to pieces.

The 2 of the 5:2 days are going ok, and actually getting easier. I'm falling down on the 5 days. Have not isolated the problem yet. And since I lost another half pound maybe that's ok. It's still a wonder to me that there have been no serious set backs, and though small the loss continues. Too soon to be sure (there have been so many fails) but this could be the one that actually works.

Bye for now.
Sidney :smile:
22 Aug 2014, 07:54
Hi Sidney

Slow and steady can win the race! As you read more of the forum, you will see an amazing range of experiences with 5:2. I was one of the very fortunate ones - not everyone has it that easy. The main thing is that the weight loss trend is down, and that is certainly happening with you. :)

Certainly the regular exercise has been a help in my weight loss - tho interestingly when I had a knee operation last year and was relatively immobile for a while, I still lost weight - I think the physio exercises for my knee might have helped there. Other factors that have helped me are that I don't have any hormonal, thyroid or other health problems, and I have not spent my life yoyo dieting. I also have always eaten a lot of fruit and vegetables - tho also a lot of chocolate, which was the main reason for me being overweight, as well as being able to eat large quantities of anything....

C25k is couch to 5km - a program to get you running. If you google it you will find out lots more. :) HIT is high intensity interval training. Ditto the previous comment.

If you click on my blue name, or anyone's blue name, it will take you to their home page and you will see a link to their posts. You can then open that and search thru til you find any of interest. I think that is how to do it - I will check (yes it is).

Thanks for explaining multiplex. :)

Dinner is nearly ready so I will have to finish here, but will add more later.

Cheers! :D
41 posts Page 1 of 3