The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Swuddly
11 Jul 2014, 13:52
So, I'm almost one month back in to fasting, after taking a year-and-some-change to build and birth a baby. :) I had only fasted for a month or so before I found out I was pregnant, so my previous experience was limited, but I remember how easy it all seemed to me. Now that I'm back at work, and my husband and I are juggling everything, the ease of this way of eating is even more attractive.

Before coming back to fasting, I was losing weight slowly (and inconsistently) following a very low carb diet. It was effective, especially at taming my hunger, but I also found it awkward to follow for things like dinner with my in-laws. I also found myself still struggling with a diet mentality--one bite of mashed potatoes made me feel like I had thrown the whole day away.

Fasting just takes away the diet drama, and frees my lunch hour up to spend with my daughter. This brings me so much joy, and makes me feel much more peaceful about being back at work. The method of fasting that seems to work best for me, so far, is following an eating window model. During the work week, I follow 19:5, which lets me have supper with my family, and gives me my entire 60 minute lunch to spend with my daughter. On Saturday and Sunday, I follow 16:8. Easy-peasy. :)

I still eat low-ish carb, because it works best for me. But, on a lovely summer Saturday afternoon, if my husband and I walk downtown with our daughter for an ice cream, I'm no longer throwing my diet out the window. It's a treat, not a cheat. I close my mouth when my window for the day closes, and continue on easily the next day, as if nothing had happened. Such freedom.

Yesterday, I had so many little things to celebrate, that I realized I'd like to have a place to keep track of my progress. So here are my celebrations: my BMI is below 40, for the first time in 15 years. Also, I now officially have fewer than 100 pounds to lose. At my highest weight (many, many diets before finding fasting), I had 170 pounds to lose. For the first time I can remember, losing all of my excess weight seems not only doable, but inevitable as I follow this way of eating.
Re: Swuddly
11 Jul 2014, 14:10
Welcome @swuddly, you have got everything sussed, eating window plus low-carb (but not hard-core low carb :lol: ). Success :like:
11 Jul 2014, 14:28
Thanks @barbarita! I decided to give 19:5 a try after looking up Fast-5, courtesy of your signature. :)
11 Jul 2014, 15:03
Well done @Swuddly I look forward to reading your posts. :like:
12 Jul 2014, 00:22
Hiya! Loved reading yr story,so positive ! Lovely to hear about yr new daughter too x
Welcome to the forums! X
12 Jul 2014, 04:57
Nice story and best reason ever to leave fasting and come back! Keep track :like:
12 Jul 2014, 08:18
Hello Swuddly and a big welcome from me too.

You need to check out the link below as @stellatw has also just appeared on the forum having just had a baby.

5-2-diet-chat-f6/back-after-having-a-baby-t12792.html

Enjoy your babies and I wish I'd had this great place and WOE after having mine. 18ys ago!!!!,

Good luck and have fun with us along the way.,
12 Jul 2014, 08:19
So happy for you @swuddly!

You are what 5:2 is all about! Lovely to read how beautifully it is fitting into your life & I totally relate to the feeling of freedom you get once you stop worrying about eating at a pre-set time.

Keep us posted on your progress & keep doing what you're doing - well done!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
8 posts Page 1 of 1