The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Fat Dormouse Getting Thinner
08 Mar 2013, 12:50
I do actually write a blog with the same title (http://www.fatdormouse.blogspot.com) where I record our menus for the week, and planning for 5:2,aswell as some recipes, but I thought, like others, I'd share some thoughts here.

I'm 53, and I've always loved food, and not enjoyed exercise. In the past 12 years or so I've intermittently tried and lost weight with Slimming World, but, of course, as soon as I stopped following the plan the weight slipped back. Coming to France meant croissants, wine, good food...Oh dear! The weight is still going up.

Last September I had a very nasty shock when I found my weight had reached 3 figures (in kg!)I was having more and more back problems, and my doctor & physio had both said I needed to lose weight. Inspired by the Hairy Dieters, I bought their book and lost 5 kg between September & Christmas. This included some exercise - walking mostly and a bit of swimming - but it was mostly through eating less and eating well.

After Christmas it was hard to get into the swing of things, and I stalled. Then put on a few hundred grams again... I'd read about/heard about the 2:5 but had dismissed it as another "fad" diet. Also I "knew" I "couldn't" survive a day without eating three good meals. I would go all shakey, I'd have headaches. It wasn't possible. But friends started and raved about it, so I talked to MrFD & we decided to give it a try.

I started on 11th Feb at 94.7 kg. Fasting on Monday and Friday, I haven't found it too hard. I started on 3 smaller meals (porridge for breakfast, egg for lunch then something veggie for dinner) then tried going without breakfast & just having CuppaSoup, then a larger meal at dinner. That seems to work quite well, although on days when I'm up early, & working away from home, I do have three small meals.

The first week I lost 500g, the second I lost 400g, this last week I lost 200g. Not a great weight loss, I must admit, and I am a bit dissappointed. I've not yet felt any wonderful health benefits (spring in my step, getting into those jeans, fewer headaches etc) but I know that I've not been exercising much (due to another "do" with my back) so that might make a difference.
MrFD has seen bigger losses, but he's a cyclist and has been pumping out the kilometres...

But for all that, I can see that this is a sustainable way of regulating weight and hopefully adding some (healthy) years onto my life. I'm NOT going to give up, even though weight loss has been slow. I'm going to keep IFing and hopefully I'll see an improvement soon.

So: today I'm 93.6 kg (14stone 7) and I would like to get to 80 kg (12stone 6) I'm not sure if I'll do it, but it would be great if I do. For now, I've got 2 pairs of size 16 jeans that I've not been able to wear for quite some time. They're my first target!!
You're doing fine. You don't want to lose too quickly at our size or we'll end up all saggy. My OH is very happy at me losing a pound a week and this last week was 200g, I'm bilingual in my weighings as lbs isn't a small enough unit for this diet.
Fat Dormouse wrote: But for all that, I can see that this is a sustainable way of regulating weight and hopefully adding some (healthy) years onto my life. I'm NOT going to give up, even though weight loss has been slow. I'm going to keep IFing and hopefully I'll see an improvement soon.

This is the key for me. I don't look on 5:2 as a way to lose loads of weight fast, but as a means of easing down to a healthy weight and staying there. Keep up the good work! :-)
The ONLY successful diet is the one you can stick to long term. With this way of eating I think we've cracked it!
I completely agree with catscratch i've done WW and SW and although I lost with both I put it all back on and more when I stopped. but this just does not feel like a diet its just so guilt free!!!
And this week I've lost a kilo! I think it shows that although my job is fairly sendentary I do perhaps move a bit more than I thought, as the previous two weeks I was virtually immobile due to a bad back. So, I'm keeping up with the average weekly loss of 1lb a week, having lost 2 kg over my first 4 weeks.

I'm happy with that. I just wish I didn't get so cold on Fast Days (though the 10 cm of snow outside might have something to do with that!)
I'm a happy bunny! The jeans which at Christmas were unbearably tight (I had to undo them on the way home after visiting friends!) are now comfortable. Another pair which were comfortable are now loose. Another pair which were loose are now unwearable as they slide down immediately! I hope my friend with a sewing machine will be able to take them in for me!
don't be disappointed! I lost a lot in first 2 weeks but now my weight has frozen, to now going slowly but remember going down is a good thing. you don't want to lose it too fast! If you feel up to it you can always add another hour swimming or walking, every little helps =)
Thank you for your replies and encouragement. I haven't weighed myself for a while (I don't want to weigh myself straight after a fast day - and I forget on the other days!!) so I don't know if I've lost much. Still, I'll keep on with this way of life. As others have said, the health benefits other than weightloss are important too.

I'm fasting today, and really looking forward to my dinner (still 5 hours to go!!!) :frown:
9 posts Page 1 of 1