The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hamsandwich - An update
02 Apr 2013, 11:58
My progress – one month in

I’ll be honest and say - I was fairly sceptical about this diet when I started, mainly because I couldn’t see how anyone could eat only 500 calories whilst maintaining an active or even sedentary lifestyle. I’m a foodie through and through and am always planning my next meal...

Background

When I was a teenager and then into my twenties I didn’t worry about my weight I was active, slim and could eat and drink whatever I liked... so I did! Then when I reached my mid twenties I had gained a couple of dress sizes. My weight seems to build proportionately so it’s less noticeably, by me anyway... and no one commented on it.

Following a routine visit to the nurse, I was told I had high blood pressure and this was my first wake up call. The nurse told me I needed to adjust my diet, exercise more and come back and see her to check progress.

This was a real eye opener to me and I started to regret not taking care of my health earlier on. I took things seriously for a while, starting Rosemary Connelly and for a time I did really well losing 2 stone, started going to the gym and quit the weekly weigh in and exercise class opting to manage my own weight loss. My blood pressure went down, I was happy and content again. After a big holiday, naturally the weight piled back on and some resulting in a trial of some of the other diet plans; I’ve tried ww; cabbage soup diet; lemonade diet; south beach diet and the Cambridge soup diet to name but a few. Most of these diets did help me lose the weight (or some of it) but the moment to start to eat normally again the weight just returned with credit.

So when I heard about this diet, I thought it was just a fad and not for me. But a friend started doing it and raved about it so I thought I’d read up about it and have a think about it. The day I started the diet was I think the same day I found this support group and since then its been such an anchor for me. I can honestly say I wouldn’t have lasted without it. :worship:

My progress so far...

I’ve just completed my 9th fast and after weighing in this morning I’ve lost a total of 10lbs and 3 inches from my waist. I’ve tried my best to be as honest with myself as possible and have adjusted my repair days where needed. My job takes me away from home quite a bit and fasting whilst away is not the easiest so I try to avoid this where possible.

The 5:2 plan
When I first started this WOL, I thought I’d never get through the day without eating. Coming from someone who never skips a meal and tends to graze throughout the day I knew this would be my biggest challenge. The first week, I was really busy at work and got through by ignoring the hunger pains and drinking loads of water. On my second fast I was ready to give in and say this wasn’t for me but then I came on to the forum and noticed someone had posted that hunger pains aren’t that bad and that made me think... I get through that time of the month without taking anything for the pain and this is nothing compared to that pain... that was a pivotal moment and from then on I just pushed on through.

The things I learnt from that first week were...
• Eating little and often was not going to work for me on this plan
• I needed to drink a hell of a lot more water that I had been (that was a real shocker as I drank a lot anyway)
• Hunger pains aren’t that bad
• Learning to eat when hungry, NOT when bored!
• Myfitnesspal is a really useful tool for keeping a track of your calories
• Planning is the key to success

My second week was better, I was more prepared, I drank more water, I already felt thinner!

Last week was my fourth week and went really well, I’ve now started to eat nothing all day and only drink copious amounts of water and herbal teas. I start my fast after an early dinner the night before and end it with breakfast 36-38 hours later. If I start feeling heady (usually when I’me running around at work), I eat a small apple which surprisingly goes along way to quell the hunger. I even managed to eat out on one of my repair days having a pizza (Pizza Express – Leggera) and have dinner at OHs folks so it already feels really sustainable.

As I knew Easter was coming I planned to have my fasting days early, eat sensibly most days and then have one day off on Easter Sunday. I was surprised to find that I was able to keep within my calorie count (TDEE of 1900) without drama. Sunday as planned I ate whatever i wanted... and despite the fact that I still recorded these calories (couldn’t help myself) ate about 2500 calories in total. That included breakfast; roast lunch; pudding; red wine and Easter chocolate... yum!! I’m glad I planned this ‘day off’ as when I woke up on Monday I didn’t feel guilty at all.

To my surprise – I decided to fast yesterday even though I was still with family and managed to stay within my 500 calories with an evening meal. This morning when I weighed in I have lost 2lbs and am over the moon as I was prepared for no gain. I should also say that last week was the time of the month so was expecting a small gain.

Now I actually look forward to my repair days, I wake with so much energy and can’t remember the last time I had a craving. Yes I still get hunger pains but I make sure I gulp down loads of water which keeps it at bay.

The worst things for me have been the need to go to the toilet so much and feeling the cold. The positives outweigh these by a country mile and I can’t wait until the summer arrives. Just think, if you started this WOL in the winter (UK), it will only get easier as the weather gets warmer and lighter!!

Thanks for reading, sorry it was long ... and for those who are thinking of giving in... STOP... this plan is so adaptable and will fit in with your lifestyle, just be prepared to plan out your repair days!

Hamsandwich
Re: Hamsandwich - An update
02 Apr 2013, 12:22
Hi Ham, thanks for sharing that. Helps to hear someone elses struggles and triumphs.
I just completed my first FAST yesterday and while I swore I wouldn't weigh myself today~~ as soon as husband was out the door I jumped on the scale lol ~~~I lost 3 lbs!!!!.... logically I know it's water weight.... but hell I will take that.
Yesterday was not easy, I work out of my home and that made it tough but luckily I had everything planned ahead and got stubborn with myself.... repeating over and over "You have survived a volcano, earthquakes,3 car wrecks and came back from Super Storm Sandy... 500 cals is a snap". It truly helped I think. I plan to start every FAST day with a mantra :)

Hope it is warm wherever you are.... freezing here!
Kathleen
Re: Hamsandwich - An update
02 Apr 2013, 12:49
That's a great weight loss. I'm on my 10th fast and have lost 3 lbs. so slow but at least it's 3 off and not on! I find this WOL so adaptable and easy (fast days are a challenge but not unbearable) and it is such a relief not to be 'on a diet' and not thinking about food all the time.
3 posts Page 1 of 1