The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Is this normal?
26 Apr 2013, 07:42
My first weigh in after 2nd fast day I had lost 5lbs. Then 3 days later I had put on 2lbs. This week I did 3 fast days and when I weighed myself I had lost 2lbs and an inch on my waist. So my next fast day is Monday. I am planning on weighing myself on Monday after 3 normal days. My worry is that I will have put 2lbs back on. Has anyone here found that this happens?
Re: Is this normal?
26 Apr 2013, 07:51
I'm not an expert but I think that after a fast day you will have lost water and the actual weight of food in your body as well as fat, so when you start eating normally on a feast day you will put on weight in terms of water plus the weight of the food you have eaten, which accounts for the differences. I only weigh myself once a week as otherwise I would go crazy with the ups and downs (which can happen regardless) from one day to the next, what counts is the overall downward trend over time.
26 Apr 2013, 08:03
Take a look at my progress chart. Week 1 lost 5lb, week 2 put on 2lb, week 3 lost 2lb. Sound familiar? Loss to date 20lb. Don't worry too much. There is a lot of adjusting going on. I'd say it takes 4-6 weeks to really get into it. The fast days do get easier but watch the feed days as it is easy to eat too much.
26 Apr 2013, 08:05
Oh yes!!!!! Seems to be quite common from what I've glimpsed in the forums. I've just weighed myself today fully expecting to have lost a few pounds as I've been really good this week ( did have a blip last Sunday but got back on track again!) to find I was the same as last week...duh!!

Like you I lost a few pounds the first couple of weeks and was fully expecting it to continue....but put into context, overall I've lost 2.5lbs per week which I feel is more realistic.

Another thing I'm learning is not to weigh yourself too often due to natural fluctuations in the body. Most of the more experienced folk advocate weighing yourself monthly, I'm not quite convinced yet, still need a peek more often, but it does make sense to get a more realistic view of things.....then we wouldn't be so despondent!!

Good luck with your progress, an inch off your waist is brilliant so you must be doing something right! :like:
26 Apr 2013, 08:09
Your weight varies naturally throughout the week, and at any given time I know I could weigh up to 3lb more than my 'official' weight, depending on what I've eaten, time of day, last time I went to the loo etc!

Don't worry - and try not to weigh more than once a week. Or at least, pick a day & time which will be your 'official' weight and don't worry too much about any readings in between. Keeping track of your weekly weight should help you to see the downward trend in the numbers, rather than the natural day by day fluctuations.
26 Apr 2013, 08:15
I weigh myself pretty much every time I'm in the bathroom but I only pay attention to the Friday morning weigh-in. I prefer to weigh myself in the morning as soon as I get up but after I've done my business. It's a nice baseline.

Just drinking a tall glass of water can add almost a pound of transient weight.
26 Apr 2013, 08:30
I have been exactly the same today, been really good all week but same weight as last week. I have lost 20lb's in total since end of January so average of 1lb a week, but it does tend to be one week no loss, next week 2 lbs - is this normal or am I just not being good enough??

Had the debate with my husband this morning that I shouldn't weigh myself every week but once a month - like you though I seem to be using the weigh-in's as a crutch and am terrified to put the weight back on so have to keep control of it - think it might drive me mad!!
26 Apr 2013, 12:32
I like to weigh daily for interest and to get more understanding of the fluctuations, but I only record weekly and don't panic about the ebbs and flows. I have at times gained a kilo in a day and then lost 1.2 kilos the next day.
I really think the 1lb,or half a kilo a week is an optimal weight loss as it is sustainable and not too fast for our bodies to catch up.
26 Apr 2013, 12:38
Sadly, it's common. As soon as I lose something significant, I gain it back. But as soon as I'm losing overall, I try to not complain or lose hope! :-)
26 Apr 2013, 12:43
kencc wrote:
TML13 wrote: ... as soon as I'm losing overall, I try to not complain ... :-)
... doesn't sound like ManU

Ha ha, no, that's just me! :grin:
26 Apr 2013, 15:10
kencc wrote: The majority of weight fluctuations are not random and if you keep a very brief record it's usually possible to have a general understanding of why, for example, you haven't lost weight in a particular week.

Hi Kencc,

I really like your chart, it's very visual and clear - did you make it yourself or can I find the program online?
11 posts Page 1 of 1