The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

4 posts Page 1 of 1
SEEN LAST NIGHT

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/89286 ... revolution
or decades we've been told to avoid fats, so we don't become fat.

However, new claims backed by celebrity chefs and sports stars say Australia’s obesity epidemic actually stems from our obsession with carbohydrates.

====
The facebook barrage of good and bad comments is always an interesting read.
https://www.facebook.com/ACurrentAffair ... =1&theater

some excerpts
[list=]

The followes of low carb diet say...
Carbs increase glucose and insulin levels
Low carb diet decreases your appetite
Humans dont need carbs
Fat is your friend[/list]

===

My personal take. One should not remove a whole food group. There can be detrimental effects by following a no carb diet e.g. dairy, whole grain foods, and some veges have carbs and you dont want to remove those completely. It's better to get a balance between protein, fats, sugars and carbs. So no I'm not on some low carb diet but will be reducing carb intake levels by following 5:2/4:3 simply as I eat less. Still going to love that big fat bread stick on a weekend at least and within moderation And the odd bit of rye bread like i did this morning with hommous. Just saying.

THOUGHTS?
My first response is who gives a f*ck what celebrity chefs and sports stars say about the obesity epidemic! I was happy to see this thought mirrored in the first comment on the first link you provided.

Thanks for the links, Juliana!
Haha MaryAnn, exactly what I thought too.
I won't be cutting an entire food group out of my diet, that's for sure. I do enjoy all the new fads that come out for particular foods (chia seeds, coconut products, different grains etc) because I enjoy experimenting with food - both eating and cooking/baking. So I do follow some of the low carb and paleo and raw blogs/sites just to find new things. But my diet is very varied and wide, and the only things off limits are for ethical reasons and taste.
I think Compass is doing a program on the low carb diet tonight. I'll check it out and post the link.

Yes http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/
4 posts Page 1 of 1