The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Caught on Radio National this morning that the program The Health report

Monday 5.30pm Repeated: Tuesday 5:30am

will feature a discussion of diets. They mentioned 5-2 in the promo

Indeed it was Radio National on a Monday morning last April that made me aware of the SBS program of the original Horizon program. Which in due course changed my life around and several around me.

Anyway if anyone is near a radio Radio National is worth listening to this arvo

For those that miss it or are not downunder. they will have a transcript later

here
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... lthreport/
Hey that is great, I will look out for it! I don't suppose they do podcasts? I haven't seen the original doco yet either and wonder where I could see it.... Anyhoo, thanks for the tip! :)
Emilie44 wrote: I haven't seen the original doco yet either and wonder where I could see it.... Anyhoo, thanks for the tip! :)

for the original doco go here

http://vimeo.com/54089463
What time zone are the timings? I can't tell from the website.
Oops, a little more searching and it seems to be AEST, so two hours ahead.
The podcast is now up. I posted about the program early in the day then forgot about it completely even though I was on the road with a radio. doh.

Anyhow it was a program broadcast in front of a live audience.
summary that i picked up (sorry if not 100% accurate)

- at 4.minutes interval training/ or High intensity interval training .... tick for cardiovascular health and diabetes/ glucose control; jury still out on lipids and blood pressure reduction; possible anti depression effect

- exercise doesnt make people gain weight.

- variety of exercise helps reduce risk of diabetes

- at 9.16 minutes about contraversial low carb diet for health; Speaker say all calories are pretty equal ); addition of carbs / sugar in American diet; fructose not more toxic than glucose. Caloric burden is most important factor.

- at 13.10 minutes was about 5-2 . - Compared to ordinary calorific restriction, with Intermittent fasting there is evidence of much improved insulin response inanimal experiments. Also prelminary evidence of lower levels of growth hormones and hence cancer prevention.

The stress you give your metabolism can be beneficial.

But... "Nobody has shown long term that it is beneficial" You are more insulin sensitive on either complete or modified fast.

- At 16.10 What the 5-2 diet does long ter, nobody has any idea

- Best diet for maintenance will vary individual to individual. - must be a permanent lifestyle. 6:1 may be all you need.

- Synergistic effect of exercise discussed but losing weight with exercise alone will not allow much weight loss.

- Mediterranean diet associated with cardiovascular protection.

at 17.10 -- discusses how you have to change your diet and exercise pattern .... FOREVER. Requires willpower and self control.

- Changing diet versus physical activity .. diet often seen as deprivation, but physical activity can be enjoyable.

- At 22.30 Role of third party (counsellor, dietician) in changing lifestyle and motivation.

here it is here http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ge/4953496

thoughts?
Thanks for details. I am listening while reading more posts. Another fasting day nearly done!
Hey, I got into the car after work at 5.20 onto 702, thinking I will turn the channel at 5.30 to hear that discussion (which I did), and was so surprised to hear Michael Mosely talking to Richard Glover. Missed the beginning. Here is a link to that podcast: http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/sydne ... 965551.mp3
The original interview with Michael was how I heard about this. I love that man - I call him my 5:2 man.
Thanks for the summary, that is what I got out of it apart from Norman Swann commenting about stuffing yourself on the five days! It was balanced and made a lot of sense. I shall relisten to it sometime today as I missed a few minutes.
What I understood from the program, re diet, was that to lose weight you have to cut calories and you need to make a life style change for ever. 5:2 is a way to cut calories which is sustainable for a life time. It's that simple.
Finally had a chance to listen to this. Very sensible discussion.
12 posts Page 1 of 1