The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Zero Noodles
16 Feb 2013, 09:17
Low calorie noodles as mentioned in another forum are available here http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... es&rdcnt=1 or your local store might stock them or get them in if you ask.

Jackie
Re: Zero Noodles
17 Feb 2013, 15:44
Bought the zero noodles (or near as dammit) yesterday. They also do a very low cal rice, but my local branch in South Shields didn't stock them. I was advised when using any of these zero products to rinse them THOROUGHLY otherwise they have an unpleasant taste. I'm a tad nervous of using them but will give it a go in a thai noodle soup.
17 Feb 2013, 15:47
I'll be interested to hear what they taste like. Keep us posted.
18 Feb 2013, 16:34
Hi Bellalou. I've just read up on these noodles. They are 4 cals per 100g. Made from Konnyaku Clucomannan flour (3.8%), food grade calcium hydroxide 0.2% and 96% water. I've added them to soup I've made for dinner tonight (fast night). They are a bit like rice noodles to look at, translucent, and are quite firm in texture. I expected them to turn to mush. Google them - it's very interesting reading. They are wheat free - which is good for me as I'm sensitive. Apparently our Japanese cousins have been eating them for hundreds of years!
18 Feb 2013, 16:36
Oh - these sound interesting - must find me some and give them a try - thanks for sharing :)
18 Feb 2013, 17:20
Zero noodles will definitely be on the menu on fast days from now on. They kept their texture really well. It's a pity they are translucent, but hey ho, once they're in something else its not an issue. I am going to make a very low calorie Bolognese sauce and try it with that. I will keep posting results. They also come in a "rice" form. H&B didn't have them in the branch I was in but next time I'm in Newcastle I will try there.
24 Feb 2013, 04:32
Yes we have them here in Sydney, they call them Slim Pasta and there are 5 different kinds. They taste ok with chopped cherry tomatoes baby spinach, steamed broccoli and a splash of tamari or soy sauce and its only about 40 cals all up! Thanks for the hint about rinsing them first hadn't thought of at, the funny smell isn't evident in the taste once you have all the veges and sauce in it. I had it he other night on my fast day and I was full and couldn't eat all of my cals for the day!
24 Feb 2013, 06:49
Hi Mullumgirl, that sounds like a really nice recipe. I'm going to Holland and Barratt (our health food shop) tomorrow and I'm going to stock up. I've made a low cal Bolognese for tomorrow's dinner (fast day) and I'm using the noodles instead of pasta as they hold their shape so well. Hope you are enjoying the way your eating is going. I'm loving it. Incidently, I have a son in Perth, and my husband just asked me how long the flight was from Sydney to Perth. Do you know?
24 Feb 2013, 09:26
It's a long time since I did that flight, but I think it was 4 hours.
24 Feb 2013, 13:25
I bought some from Holland and Barretts this week, £1.99 for a small packet. I read up on them beforehand and many people complained about them having a faintly fishy smell and being a texture rather than a taste.

I made a big prawn, vegetable and beansprout stir fry for my fast day tea last night and added the zero noodles. For the sauce I used chilli, tamarind paste and soy sauce. It was really quite nice. The noodles were fine. Nothing special but meant I could have a bigger portion of food for less calories. I couldn't eat it all and have boxed some up to have for lunch at work this week.

So my verdict on the zero noodles, is that they're a bit pricey but they taste okay in stir fries. They 're packed in a sort of gel like suspension and have a long shelf life, so i'd keep a bag or two in.
24 Feb 2013, 22:38
Thanks! I've never heard of these but will definately be getting some asap
22 Apr 2013, 20:12
I had read about these in a magazine and thought I would try them. I boiled some and then heated them through in some veg stock. Had them with salad and tuna steaks- I am so full as I ate nearly a whole packet. Although they were a really weird texture, really wormy, I will try doing a stirfry with some or put them in some soup.
27 Apr 2013, 10:38
ll buy my Konjac noodles from the Chinese Supermarket. They are easily recognisable as they are sold wet in a tray of water, in the fresh food refrigeratied section of the supermarket. my local Chinese supermarket sells a brand which has a brand name on the packet in Chinese Which I can't read but a strap line underneath In English Which says 'healthy vermicelli'. lrnw they were Konjac noodles because there was an additional food label attached to the packet which said 'Konjac'

They are MUCH cheaper than Holland and Barrett branded versions at 89p a packet.

I could post a photo of the brand if people would find this useful.

I read in a post recently about dry frying them until they squeak (which l did) and this improves the texture.1 then stir fry them with deep flavours like garlic and ginger. I find them very easy.
I thought Zero Noodles and Slim Pasta must be the holy grail of low-cal fill-you-up foods - perfect for fast days! Well, they may be that, but I really can't stand the texture. :lol: :lol: I bought quite a few packs from Holland & Barratt so if anyone living near me would like them I would happily let you have them for free! (I've got 3 packs of Zere Noodles and 3 of Slim Pasta).

If you like them and live within reasonable distance of Aylesbury please PM me for pick up/delivery details!
14 posts Page 1 of 1