The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Centre page spread featuring this book:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/follow-52-bikini-diet-your-1858971

Interestingly, it's the first article in a national newspaper that mentions actually skipping breakfast or lunch (that I've seen)! Not both together, however.

Still, it's progress of a sort.

On normal days:
Some pluses:
'Don't count calories - you are not on a diet'
'Wait 20 minutes to see if you're still hungry'

Some minuses:
'Eat 3 balanced meals a day'
'Have snacks if you feel peckish'

Bit of a mixed bag - but it's getting IF out there, so on the whole, it's not bad.

No need to buy the book, though - all you need is here on this forum!
More recipes - and an article on Phillip Schofield who's apparently lost 9lbs in 3 weeks on 'our' diet, says the DM! :grin:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/recipes/5-2-bikini-diet-fast-day-recipes-1860352

The series is running all week, apparently.
I still can't get why snacking is bad, to be honest...
TML13 wrote: I still can't get why snacking is bad, to be honest...

Hi TML

I think one reason is that casual snacking just stimulates the appetite - when you don't eat for a while, the 'hunger switch' resets. Then another snack re-stimulates it.

Another reason is that - we never used to 'snack'. It's a fairly recent phenomenon. I saw some research about the gap between eating a couple of generations ago, and it was about 4 hours - now it's less than 3. (That was in the States.)

I realise that you've got sound reasons for snacking - and, as long as people recognise the 'switch' effect, that's fine!

I'm one of the worst offenders in this regard! Since lunch-time I've had - 2 Oaties, 4 pieces of chilli chocolate, many pieces of crystallised ginger, and, since I've been making my dinner, spoonfuls of lentil and cabbage curry! :frown:
When I was growing up and when my parents were growing up, the norm was 5 meals a day. Obviously, my grandmother didn't do that because she grew up with the German occupation.
We had breakfast, a snack at school, lunch, a snack at home and dinner. Both my generation and the one of my parents had no problems with obesity. Mind you that our school snacks were homemade and our lunches were at home, not at school, which means that they were all very healthy.

I think that the problem is the quality of the snacks and not the snacks themselves. My snacks were usually fruit or homemade cake or bread and cheese.

I know that many people say that eating makes them hungry but I know that if I skip a meal, I will probably eat like a pig on my next one!!!
When I was growing up in the 40s I would say , "Mum, I'm hungry!" To which my mother would reply, "Well, I'm angry, let's have a fight!" So I very rarely got a sandwich. :grin:

But, having said that, we generally had a bite to eat before bedtime - so we would eat 4 times a day.
Haaa haaaa!

I didn't have to declare my hunger, we were eating at certain times of day... Like very old people do now, LOL!
8 posts Page 1 of 1