The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

15 posts Page 1 of 1
The website for Dr Krista Varady's book on intermittent fasting is now up:
http://www.eoddiet.com/

The book is due to come out at the end of the year.
Thanks for that, I shall hot foot it over there,

Ballerina x :heart:
Interesting, especially when she cited someone who failed whilst doing Dr M's 5:2 version of her diet. In light of a recent thread where she was less than flattering about Dr M this does not surprise me.

Ballerina x :heart:
Sorry, that was a duplicate post :heart:
Personally I don't fancy dieting 3 days one week and 4 days the next week - that's a lot of dieting for me and likely to cause me to fail. I find 5:2 easier (just 2 days a week - hurrah) and most importantly it's working for me. But I'm glad Varady's publishing this book as her scientific studies are very interesting.
Well done Bssh ..five stones lost is awe - mazing! X
I couldn't fast every other day.... that would be no life for me, I'm afraid. Even if I could eat anything I wanted on my normal eating days. And I'm sorry but I don't like the cover with the huge burger, doughnut and pizza.... IMHO foods like that should still be eaten in moderation and not advocated enough to be on a front cover. There are plenty of other calorie-laden decent meals that could have been photographed.....
I am quite interested in this. Yes Ballerina I too noticed she took the opportunity to bag out Mosley :-) I am interested in her maintenance which I believe is alternate days of 2x500 cal meals..anyone know if that's correct? I wouldn't mind 3 Days of 1000 cal might try it.
Did you see who's featured in the testimonials? Our very own Ofiaich who has been posting his progress on the forum fairly regularly - proof I think that the two methods can co-exist :?:
I would find ADF too strenuous and unsustainable and would worry that my sleep would be even more disrupted so I will be sticking with 5.2, 6.1 and 16.8 but I will be very interested to read the book.
I am interested in the 2pm feeding. I have friends who eat breakfast, one has nothing till bfst next day, the other has lunch, then bfst the next day. They both report they have never slept so well in their lives - he has some theory about organs not having to work or some such thing. Quite interesting.
A few years ago, I had to stop having a dinner-sized dinner. I was commuting a long distance and bed time was too close to when I finally managed to cook it and eat it. My sleep was a mess.

Come to think of it… I wonder if that's why I've been having trouble on fast days lately. The meal isn't large, but it might be enough to bring back my old problem.

Anyway, I came here for a different reason. I've been keeping an eye on Krista Varady's Facebook page, and found this very interesting:

"Do our bodies really have a set point weight?"

The "set point theory" suggests that the body strives to maintain a specific preset weight, and as such, when you lose weight, your body will try to gain it back. Although this theory is fairly well known, there is no convincing evidence to show that a "weight set point" actually exists.

The main reason that people gain back the weight they have lost is because their metabolism has decreased. When a person loses weight, 75% of the weight lost is fat, and 25% of the weight lost is muscle. Muscle mass is a key determinant of metabolism, and as you lose muscle, your metabolism decreases (generally by 200-400 calories/day). It is very difficult for people to adjust to the drop in metabolism, and therefore, they tend to gain the weight back.

The only way to prevent this drop in metabolic rate is to exercise 5 times per week for 45 min/session (which increases your muscle mass). Increasing muscle mass will ensure your metabolism stays high, which can help keep the weight off long-term.
Wel that is interesting, however I think the weight gain is more, going back to your old ways. Or in my case, staying with my new ways (I eat way less healthily on on fast diet, feed days than ever before), but not fasting enough to stay ahead of the game. Time to go back to how I used to eat and get more fasts in
Yeah, whenever I've gained back weight after reaching goal weight, if I'm honest it's at least partially because I went a little crazy. I think there's something to the lowered metabolism as well...
Yes i think the lowered metabolism rears it's ugly head during the weight loss phase too - plateaus and all that.
I'm experiencing that now trying to get the last few pesky kg off. I'm maintaining doing 3 fasts a week. This can't go on forever, can it?
15 posts Page 1 of 1