The FastDay Forum

Resources & Links

7 posts Page 1 of 1
OK. I'm 48, and I've never gotten a satisfactory answer from any medical professional about what I should shoot for for a 'perfect' weight. I don't want to be over. And I sure don't want to be under. Here are some numbers obtained from www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=40&csex=m&cheightfeet=6&cheightinch=4&cheightmeter=180&x=61&y=8

Until somebody tells me otherwise, I'm using the Hamwi formula with the assumption, that I'm more muscle dense than the healthy man. I say that because I spend more time in the gym than many of may cardio-fitness counterparts.
Here's the data collected:
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 181.7 lbs (Recommended for women)
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 173.6 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 191.4 lbs (recommended for men)
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 201.1 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 152.0 lbs - 205.4 lbs
World Health Organization (WHO
Then there is the Steve Reeves' height and weight chart for a bodybuilder
6' 4" is 240 pounds

Some criticisms:
A limitation of the Robinson and Miller formulas are that they give low calculations in taller men. http://www.sharecare.com/health/weight- ... ody-weight
Robinson's formula appears to be the best equation for calculating desirable/healthy weights in men; ...
Muscle weighs more than fat, so a bodybuilder or muscular, active person will weigh more than a sedentary person

Here's that calculator link, in case it doesn't work above:
http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight- ... 0&x=61&y=8
Crumbs. I see what you mean. Mine ended up totally different in that Hamwi has me 26lbs less than I am now and I'm already in the healthy zone according to the BMI range. But then again women all seemed alot smaller back in the mid sixties. Hope there are a few experts here who can help you, but in the meantime I suppose I'm going to say the obvious and settle at what you are happy with.
For health, the indicator of preference seems to be waist size less than half height, so below 38 inches for you. That sounds a bit big to me. Endurance runners used a 2 pounds per inch rule of thumb years ago, ie 152 pounds for you, but you are not built like a marathon runner. I would go by how much fat I could pinch in the various key places (abdomen, behind shoulders, lower back etc) and make sure it was a good bit less than an inch... Or just set an interim target and be prepared to adjust it, as I did, when I found it easy and profitable to keep losing!
CreekyPete:
WHat you say makes sense. I'm currently pinching about 2 inches at my abdomen near my belly-button (that's where my fat hides). I may end up trying to move my weight target down mainly to get that bit of fat diminished.
I would stick to body mass index - BMI (online BMI calculator) and still knowing that all the formulas (whther is BMI, BMR, IBW...) are static and by design inaccurate.
Don't like the site this link takes me to, and the calculation did not work on my Android device. It also suggests I am underweight which is plainly rubbish.

This forum has its own BMI calculator, you should put your data into it and make it public so we can see how you get on!
For health reasons, it is extra important to men to look at their waist circumference. Basically you increase your health risks if your waist is over 37" As for BMI, it doesn't really take into consideration your muscle weight and its not an ideal science to follow. My advice would be to get to the weight that you feel best at. You'll know if you're too big or too small...won't you?

Good luck anyway!
7 posts Page 1 of 1