The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

35 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: 'Biggest Losers'? :)
14 Apr 2013, 10:38
We do have the inspirational stories thread...is it not visible enough? Perhaps not added to enough? Perhaps we should invite a selection of biggest losers or even slow losers who have succeeded against the odds (like thyroid problems) to write their stories? I have to admit I had forgotten that thread too and had not been looking out for people to write their stories.
:oops:
15 Apr 2013, 08:37
*facepalm*

Isn't it amazing how a couple of words can make all the difference to an idea? I had never intended this idea to imply any kind of competition and it wouldn't necessarily have been called the 'biggest losers' page, but I just used that in my post to quickly describe what the content of the page would be >.<;;

But, it seems the consensus is no, so that's fine. Less work for me ;)
Really only meant it as something to encourage new members so they can see how folks have done & in what sort of timescale/average loss.

Yes, perhaps it would be better just to more highly publicise the Inspirational Stories thread - perhaps it shouldn't just be a thread, perhaps a whole forum for inspirational stories, each with its own thread (but no replies allowed). We can have it so members can write their own thread but that it needs to be approved by a staff member before it's visible. I could include a nice clear link to it somewhere along the page header.

Better idea?
(will copy this into my opening post so folks can see the change of plan easily!)
15 Apr 2013, 08:43
A better idea, particularly if some of the stories highlight that this isn't a quick fix.

People are naturally competitive, you should watch a class of mature ladies doing Pilates to see the naked will to outdo the person on the next mat!
15 Apr 2013, 08:54
As you say, what's in a name?!! What you have outlined, although probably not very different to what you originally were planning, thinking about, gets a big thumbs up from me. It is so inspiring to hear people's stories, the highs and lows, warts and all, a kind of motivational corner! :smile:
15 Apr 2013, 08:58
BBT053, see I disagree with you on the "well some people lost loads to start with, well that's because they didn't eat very much"

Then the

" 1lb a week is a good weight to loose, any more and you are a cheat and a charlatan"

Your judgement of the way people loose weight is not appropriate or useful I feel.

Who made you that judge? Not me.

Sorry if that sounds aggressive, I am not feeling aggressive, and I am not angry about it, but I do want to try and point out that you do not have the right to judge me or anyone else posting on this forum. It's about support and motivation, education and research into the very complex issues that surround diet and exercise.

I would hate to see competitive women doing Pilates, hence I have never been, nor would ever go, people have that choice with Judgmental Forums also.
15 Apr 2013, 09:05
I think you took it the wrong way, I was thinking more of the people mixing the daily calorie restriction with fasting and ending up under a 1000 cals a day on average over a week, so a small sub-set of the forum.

I'm well aware that people lose differently and a huge section will lose say 5 lbs and then nothing for a week or two and be upset.

That's the problem with forums and the written word, the thinking behind a bald statement on paper gets lost.

I've just re-read my post and I think I'll stand by it, the AVERAGE loss is 1 lb pw and I read lots of posts where people are disappointed by losing this amount. But it's the average, so people may lose less or more. This is based on the tracker so isn't a judgement on my part.

I just see lots of people want to be competitive in the first few weeks and say they want to give up if they gain. If we can get people through the first few weeks whilst they adapt and experiment with the diet, without being distressed, then that's a good thing. Stories should be a mix, fast losers, slow losers, little to lose or lots, it's all good.

Pilates is one of the best things I ever did and watching people was always fun. Blokes don't pick up on half the things that go on in a group of women! :cool:
15 Apr 2013, 09:21
OK, I see that is true as well.

This whole food thing, and eating disorders is a real elephant in the room sometimes!

Oh, or about 12 of them on Mats!
15 Apr 2013, 09:22
Agree with what dhana says, if you're having a tough day would be great to be able to go to one page & read about other people's journeys.
Would probably do away with people posting similar questions too as members would read how others ahead of them dealt with the difficulties they are experiencing IYKWIM.

Never had much to do with forums before but love this one, thanks Moogie for creating it & all your hard work.
15 Apr 2013, 09:32
The Success stories on MFP with Pics I love those!

Especially the ones over 6 to 12 months where the transformation is massive, love it!
15 Apr 2013, 11:06
Well, folks could certainly attach before & after photos to their inspirational stories threads if they wanted to :D
15 Apr 2013, 13:15
Moogie wrote: *facepalm*

Isn't it amazing how a couple of words can make all the difference to an idea? I had never intended this idea to imply any kind of competition and it wouldn't necessarily have been called the 'biggest losers' page, but I just used that in my post to quickly describe what the content of the page would be >.<;;

But, it seems the consensus is no, so that's fine. Less work for me ;)
Really only meant it as something to encourage new members so they can see how folks have done & in what sort of timescale/average loss.

Yes, perhaps it would be better just to more highly publicise the Inspirational Stories thread - perhaps it shouldn't just be a thread, perhaps a whole forum for inspirational stories, each with its own thread (but no replies allowed). We can have it so members can write their own thread but that it needs to be approved by a staff member before it's visible. I could include a nice clear link to it somewhere along the page header.

Better idea?
(will copy this into my opening post so folks can see the change of plan easily!)

I agree about a forum/section for the inspirational stories. I'll keep my eye out for some stories to add...I just need to check who has already contributed!

I was also wondering whether we needed a dedicated exercise forum?
15 Apr 2013, 13:21
Thanks Caro- I'll set up the forum and start splitting up the inspirational stories topic into individual threads. We should also include a sticky about contributing stories & how to attach before/after photos :D
15 Apr 2013, 13:31
Thanks Caro and Moogie, I love the idea and having failed at every diet in the last 20 years and finally finding a WoE I can sustain, maybe its a target I can aspire to, contributing to an inspirational story, now that would be a first.
15 Apr 2013, 13:39
Perhaps we could include a nominations thread as I'm sure many people will be hesitant about putting themselves forward!
15 Apr 2013, 13:52
Perhaps a better title than 'Biggest Loser's" could be "Successful (mostly) Journeys" ? I think it should feature a progress tracker graph{s}?
35 posts Page 2 of 3