The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Amanda Sainsbury Salis email
13 Nov 2015, 03:51
Hi Friends,
I subscribe to Amanada Sainsbury Salis's (Don't Go Hungry Diet) regular email and this month it is about fasting diets. She is running workshops in Perth, (Western Australia) and Sydney. Here is a copy of the email.

<Mail Attachment.gif>
Dr Amanda's Newsletter Spring 2015
In this Issue
Thank you for your e-mails - I really appreciate your kind words
Perth Scientific Seminar - Why most diets fail and what to do about it
Sydney Introductory Workshop ? Integrating new science into weight loss
<Mail Attachment.jpeg>
Dear Sally,

In recent years, diets involving fasting or semi-fasting, such as the 5:2 diet, have become increasingly popular. These are diets that involve consuming only up to around a quarter of your body's energy needs for some of the time (e.g. on 2 days of the week), and eating more at other times.

As someone who personally spent 6 years of my life in a cycle of yo-yo dieting, I admit that I was highly skeptical of any regime involving fasting or semi-fasting. Keen to disentangle scientific truth from hype, in the past 4 years I have been running clinical weight loss trials and systematic literature searches to put various forms of fasting and semi-fasting to the test.

As part of my scientific research investigating fasting or semi-fasting diets, I have also road tested them on myself. This is because I have a policy of never asking clinical trial participants to follow a diet that I have not done myself for at least 2 weeks. So, I've done 2 weeks on a very low energy diet based on liquid meal replacement formulae, 6 weeks on the 5:2 diet, and 11 weeks of the Ramadan fast.

The results from my team's research and my own personal experiences have astounded me, and are changing the direction of my clinical weight loss research, which aims to find better ways to reduce the Famine Reaction so that more people can attain and maintain an optimum weight for life. As such, I now firmly believe that periods of fasting or semi-fasting - if they appeal to you, and if done with awareness of the Famine Reaction and how to tame it - is a strategy that can help with long-term weight management.

In this Issue of my newsletter, I'd like to invite you to a seminar or workshop to learn more about why you might like to consider incorporating strategically placed periods of fasting or semi-fasting into your weight management strategy. These events are scheduled for Perth and Sydney, but if you are interested in a seminar or workshop on this topic in another capital city, please let me know by return e-mail.

Thank you for your e-mails - I really appreciate your kind words

I'd like to say a big Thank you to the people who took the time to click reply and send me a note in response to my last newsletter.

I was overwhelmed by the number of replies I received, and as such was unable to answer your messages personally. However, I did read every single message I received, and every one of them made me smile.

Collectively, your messages were extremely inspiring, encouraging me to continue seeking and sharing better ways to help people to manage their weight for life.

What I noticed in your messages is your commitment to the adventure of long-term weight management. A number of the replies I received were from people who have been reading my newsletter since I started it in 2007.

It just goes to show - excess weight is not something that you can treat once and forget about. In this obesogenic society we live in, where the default diet and lifestyle is one that makes us all put on weight, especially if you have Labrador genes like me, avoiding excess weight takes long-term attentiveness.

May the Force be with you!

Read Online »

Perth Scientific Seminar - Why most diets fail and what to do about it

Next week I will be visiting the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research in Perth (Nedlands campus), where I have been invited to give a research seminar about novel strategies aimed at reducing the Famine Reaction so that more people can safely attain and maintain a healthy body weight and composition.

Strategies under investigation in my talk include intermittent energy restriction involving true relief from negative energy balance (different from popular 'intermittent fasting' diets), as well as - paradoxically - ketogenic very low energy diets that result in rapid weight loss.

This talk is targeted to researchers and clinicians, and the general public is also welcome to attend. I would love to see you there!

Logistics

Tuesday 17th November 2015
12.00 - 1.00 pm
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (Nedlands Campus)
QEII Medical Centre
6 Verdun Street, Nedlands, WA 6009
Free

There is no need to register, but if you would like more information, please click here
Read Online »

Sydney Introductory Workshop ? Integrating new science into weight loss

If you'd like to learn about why you might like to consider incorporating periods of fasting or semi-fasting into your weight management strategy - as well as things you can do to help reduce the Famine Reaction as you do so - come along to my workshop in Sydney at the end of this month and I'll share with you some startling new findings from my research and personal experiences.
Here's a snapshot of some of the scientific discoveries that I'll cover in this workshop.
When done under clinical supervision, semi-fasting results in paradoxical suppression of the increase in appetite that typically accompanies weight loss, at least during the diet. You can read about my team's work on this in the international science journal, Obesity Reviews.
Clinically supervised semi-fasting diets can also lead to a surprising reduction in binge eating in people with binge eating disorder. My team's discovery on this was also published in Obesity Reviews. To read some of the media coverage on this article, please click here.
After systematic review of 40 publications of clinical trials of intermittent fasting diets, such as the 5:2 diet or similar, my team and I concluded that while these diets in their current form do not result in any apparent reduction in the Famine Reaction, they nonetheless offer a viable option for weight loss. This finding was published in the international science journal Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology.
With the above-mentioned outcomes from diets involving semi-fasting, if these diets and the rapid weight loss often associated with them appeal to you, you may like to ask your health professional whether such a diet may be suitable for you.

Having tried many semi-fasting diets myself in recent years as part of my research, I can testify that they can have surprising benefits, some of which you can read about here.

If you'd like to find out whether a period of semi-fasting may be suitable for you, come to my workshop to hear also from Shannon Brodie, an Accredited Practicing Dietitian with expertise in semi-fasting diets for rapid weight loss. Then, if you are interested in undertaking a period of clinically supervised semi-fasting, combined with periods on the Don't Go Hungry Diet for weight maintenance and 'famine busting', Shannon is qualified to supervise your progress via private consultation.

Part of the cost of consultations with Shannon may be covered by private health insurance or Medicare, depending on your circumstances. For more information about Shannon's unique dietetics services, click here.

Logistics of the introductory workshop

Monday 30th November 2015
5.30 - 7.30 pm
The University of Sydney, Charles Perkins Centre
Johns Hopkins Drive, Camperdown, NSW 2050
For map and directions, click here

Cost

$69 (includes a copy of my book Don't Go Hungry for Life, which outlines how to master the art of 'famine busting' after a period of weight loss, and a Success Diary, which will help you to do so).

To register, please click here.
Shannon and I look forward to seeing you at the end of this month!

Over to you

If you'd like to learn more about the science of using semi-fasting in your weight management adventure, come along to my seminar or workshop this month, or click reply to let me know if you would be interested in a workshop on this topic in a capital city near you.

Take care, and I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you soon.

Sincerely,
Amanda

Dr Amanda
Connect with your body
www.DrAmandaOnline.com
Read Online »

About Dr Amanda
Dr Amanda Salis is an acclaimed Australian weight-loss scientist who has personally lost 28 kilos and kept it off for over 17 years. With a PhD from the University of Geneva, Dr Amanda leads a team at the University of Sydney's Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders investigating how the brain controls body weight.

Tell a friend or join this newsletter
If you know somebody who could benefit from Dr Amanda's scientific and personal insights for easier weight loss, thank you for forwarding this newsletter or suggesting that they visit www.DrAmandaOnline.com to sign up for her free newsletter.

To change your e-mail details
To change your e-mail address, click here to re-register using your new e-mail address, or if you still have access to your old e-mail address, log on with your old e-mail address and follow the links to change your existing registration.

Note to readers
This newsletter contains information about food, nutrition, and weight loss. It is intended for educational purposes only. Always consult with a licensed health-care professional before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle.

Copyright Zuman International 2015
<Mail Attachment.gif>
--------------------------------------
This message was created by the Dr Amanda Online website. You have received this message because you are subscribed as sallyowheel@internode.on.net.

To unsubscribe please click here: http://www.dramandaonline.com/unsubscri ... ode.on.net
@Sallyo, I also subscribe and got the email. It is really encouraging to see well known and respected people catching on to the benefits of 5:2 as a way of losing weight and keeping it off never mind the other health benefits.
I got that this morning too and I came here specifically to mention it. If anyone goes to one of the workshops, I'd love to hear more about what she has to say.

I just came back from a thyroid uptake scan. They're trying to assess what my wonky thyroid is up to these days >.<

I'm thinking I really need to get back on track to fasting and perhaps now that I'm off meds and I'm feeling better, it might be the time to start back up.

Thanks for posting, Sallyo!!
I was only just thinking of you @Tracieknits. Glad to hear you are making some kind of slow progress on the thyroid situation. I love your signature. You have done so well! Keeping on keeping on is now the challenge I face. I am now doing Monday and Wednesday which gets it over early in the week and allows me to feel normal for most of the week. Yes, re the email. I feel very gratified that my weigh loss guru, pre-5:2, has endorsed fasting diets and done independent research which backs it up. We know it works. Now science says so. I love it how she says she was highly sceptical at first.
So nice to see her admitting skepticism, yet bothering to investigate anyway. I tend NOT to call it fasting 'cause it engenders this horrified reaction, most people in the States don't know what 5.2 is initially, so it's easy to just say, I eat 500cals twice a week and normally the other five. Glad to see another expert coming around through personal experience and not just basing their opinion on bias or previous experiences... One of the big benefits of 5.2 is NOT going into the "Famine Reaction"; of course, I believe that happens only when one is not restrictive (diet restrictive; you still can't eat everything in sight! :bugeyes: ) on a daily basis; that's why I advise those beginning 5.2 to NOT start off that way; just asking for trouble.

In the pdf I've posted about 5.2, I respond to the idea "Why can't I just lose weight faster (using an "everyday" diet) and then use 5.2 for maintenance?" While there's no reason you CAN'T do that, it's very likely you'll hit the "must eat everything in sight" wall and be unable to stay on 5.2. What burns me is that people who don't do 5.2 "right" will claim it doesn't work. While it's fine for people to adapt to their needs, they shouldn't then judge the basic program when they didn't DO the basic program. This is why I (and I notice many others on the forum) strongly recommend doing PLAIN VANILLA 5.2 for at least 4-6 weeks before tweaking. Even then, if it's working, don't mess with it! I found that keeping a journal helped, because I kept track of when and what I ate (on light days only); not just for calories, but for hunger spikes, and what works--and doesn't--to eat. (Remembering the baked potato incident... :curse: )
5 posts Page 1 of 1