The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

4 posts Page 1 of 1
The real reason diets fail
31 Mar 2013, 19:36
Re: The real reason diets fail
31 Mar 2013, 20:09
Fascinating article. Although I don't know much about the actual scientific details, what he says rings true with my experience and observation in the past.

Although it has taken most of us years to gain the weight, once we decide to change that, we want it right away. We don't necessarily want to change the way that we live permanently, we just want the weight to go away. That initial "variable" weight loss in a diet gives us the encouragement and hope that something is happening. If we just try harder, it will continue. When it doesn't, we lose heart and give up. Or we hang in until we get there, and then, quickly or gradually, we go back to our old ways. Our body boomerangs back to even higher weight than we were before--the dreaded yoyo!

The best diet (and fitness program) is the one you love and can live with the rest of your life, because you will need to if you want to mantain your success.
31 Mar 2013, 20:25
Before I had my thyroid problem I found that when I gained weight in a short period of time (after a holiday or after the holidays) it took me about the same time to lose it, assuming that I put a zipper over me mouth and ate close to nothing.
Example: when I go to London for 10 days I come back with about 4 extra kilos. On my first full day in Athens, I eat 3 M&S strawberry trifles (the small ones, not the family ones) because I really like them and they make me feel less sad for coming back and then for about a week I eat small quantities of yoghurt, salad, porridge and fruit. Usually, after a week or so, the 4 kilos are gone.
That was a trick that my mum taught me, to try and get rid off the weight as soon as I gain it because that way it goes away as soon as it came.

Based on the above, I can say with certainty that yes, it will take one a long time to lose the weight, if it took them a long time to gain it.

On the other hand, it took me about a month (I estimate) to gain my first 2 thyroid kilos and then less than 10-15 days to gain the other 4 and I couldn't lose them no matter what I did (before 5:2 that is) so probably all observations are based on healthy people.

Last, but not least, I came to the conclusion (and I wrote it on here a couple of days ago) that there is indeed one reason that diets fail: because they ask from us a lot (or to give up a lot) and offer close to nothing.
IMO, it is a lot to ask if you are asking from someone to starve, get socially secluded and spend lots of money and it is close to nothing if you offer a loss of a kilo a week in return.

That's where the success of 5:2 is based. No starving, no giving up of social life, no spending extra money for diet food and weight loss in return!!! It might not be a significant weight loss but it is REAL weight loss!!!
31 Mar 2013, 20:26
Sorry for the long post, I didn't realise that I was writing and writing...
4 posts Page 1 of 1