The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

12 posts Page 1 of 1
I will just find it easier if I can have three of these a day for my fast days. Comes in at 555 calories so just a little bit over. Is it ok to do this do you think or do you have to have food? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I wasnt sure where to post it!

http://www.cheap-supplements.co.uk/maxi ... tAodFWMAtg
Seems like too much protein to me, as the underlying science generally uses <30g per day of protein on calorie restricted days.

Two servings would be 50g of protein.
Ok, thank you Phil - I appreciate it :)
Phil....could you tell me where I might find the info on the protein restriction for fast days?
Summary of studies is here

There's also a protein thread in the nerdy section.

The evidence base generally uses true fasting or reduced calories with a normal protein content of 15 - 35%. The "health benefits" advocates are usually suggesting low protein as per the Horizon documentary.
Just have 10% less of your protein shake - that's 500 cal.
I would go mad with hunger on anything other than protein.
Works very well for me.
Seems like if I followed the science I wouldn't have been on the diet.
I have been going for more than 6 months now 14 cm off my waist and 4 cm off my hips. Don't know about weight...
When I first started I had 2 protein shakes, a cereal bar and a sugar free jelly on my fast days which worked extremely well for me. I soon got bored of it though and now I don't really plan my diet but just fast until about 6pm and have an appropriately sized meal then.
On fast days, I think it is important to eat real world healthy foods. It is only two days a week after all. When you are really hungry, you would be surprised at how good a raw baby spinach salad tastes or even something as simple as scrambled egg whites, poached salmon or steamed zucchini. Often people who are overweight abhor the thought of green vegetables. They would much rather have something starchy or sugary. Why? Because those types of foods are highly addictive. Although it is hard to get rid of habits, you can replace them with other habits, healthier ones. So when you choose to eat healthy foods for two days a week, you may find yourself making better choices the other five days a week. This is why I would strongly suggest trying (consider it an experiment) eating something green and high fiber on the fast days. Protein is good on fast days, too, because it satiates the hunger for longer.
Thank you so much Izzy - you have got me spot on! All I care about at the moment is getting through fast days on 500 calories. I hate calorie counting and find it really off putting. I f I can have say a couple of protein shakes and a banana then I am happy with this to start with :) Thanks ever so much Izzy :)
The other easy-easy way to do it is to buy a 500 calorie ready meal for the evening. I did that for the first few fasts, it was delic, v. easy and felt like a treat. Now I cook myself a meal from scratch, but glad I went for the easy/treat option to break myself in gently.
12 posts Page 1 of 1