The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

6 posts Page 1 of 1
In the process of reviewing nearly all of IDM's blog posts I ran across the following blog that details exactly why intermittent fasting is necessary and why constant calorie reduction does not work. Please read:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... ng-part-9/

From the article summary:

"If you try to keep a constant diet, the body will adapt to it. This means that successfully dieting requires an intermittent strategy, not a constant one. This is a crucial difference. The difference is between restricting some foods all the time (CER) and restricting all foods some of the time (IER). This is the difference between failure and success."

From my own experience, I found that it is very easy to blend feast day and fast day calorie consumptions into a steady-state average for all days of the week. This is NOT want you want do because of the negative effect it has on reducing your overall metabolism.

If you're stuck in a plateau, want to lose further weight, and otherwise want to continue to reap the other benefits of IF, there are clear reasons now to keep the body challenged by following the original feast day, fast day recommendatations for whichever IF method you prefer.

Make sense? Discuss?
Thanks for the link, makes a lot of sense. Hope they will extend the research as longer term effects (over more than a year and longer) are really what we are looking for.
Coincidentally, I was reading that post yesterday and thought it was very interesting. Great minds :wink:

This is in the attempt to restart.
I would argue that at this point, they are overstating the case for intermittent fasting. In the first part of the article they say that continuous calorie reduction leads to guaranteed failure, yet in the one study quoted, there is no significant difference between the two diets in terms of weight loss. They quote the 98% failure rate for continuous calorie reduction, but there is no comparable number for IF. At this point, we have no idea what its long term success rate is for IF, certainly not to the same degree as other diets. Also, with continuous calorie reduction diets, some studies have shown that just a small intervention is enough to greatly improve long term success rates.

IF worked for me for losing weight, as have many diets over the years. This is the longest I have kept the weight off, but it's also the hardest I've tried to keep it off. I'm definitely a believer, but I think we should be careful about overstating the case. Plenty of IFers struggle to lose weight, plateau, struggle to stick with it, give up and put the weight back on, etc.
Thanks MaryAnn.

I believe that the lack of significant weight difference in the description is a convenient equivalence that removes weight loss differential as a discussion point. This exposes the increasingly beneficial differences over time in both insulin level and insulin resistance that IF offers. In contrast, the flat-line of CER implies ... no progress.

Fully agree that long term success rates are important for global acceptance to 'prove' a solution to others.

The value of the insights within the information in leading-edge articles like this is that they can often be tested by individual's with an inclination to try it and see for ourselves. The members here are the very early adopters who accepted the potential for 5:2/IF after watching a one hour television show that did NOT include the assurance of supporting evidence from carefully controlled 10-20 year studies.

Effective, small interventions are the most fascinating and exciting parts of this whole process. To potentially leverage a growing collection of simple changes today gives us considerable control for healthier tomorrows than we might not have had otherwise.

For me. an important take-away from the article is that keeping a sufficiently large variation in our day to day intake is an effective intervention that we can add to our weight loss tool box.
So much to read and still learn. thanks.
6 posts Page 1 of 1