The FastDay Forum

Weekly Poll

25 posts Page 1 of 2

What kind of meals do you have on a Fast Day?

Poll ended at 17 Oct 2014, 17:11

I mostly cook from scratch on the day
56%
I mostly prepare food ahead of time
13%
I mostly eat ready meals
11%
I have a combination of home cooked & ready meals
17%
I mostly eat out/get a takeaway
No votes
I don't eat on a fast day!
2%
Total votes : 121

In a bid to learn a bit more about our community's fasting habits, motivations and other interesting foody/fasting stuff we're going to be running a poll each week and would appreciate it if you could take a moment to cast your vote on the matter!

For our fifth poll, we are asking:

Feel free to reply to explain your answer further, especially if how you found it isn't listed!

Over to you!
I voted for -Cook from scratch on day. But I tend to cook something Monday which will last for more than one meal, so strictly speaking it's true for Monday but not the rest of the week. Plus I make soups which last a week for teeny weeny fast day lunches.
Dong even buy cup soups anymore. Go me the domestic goddess. Lol
I'm afraid I eat pretty boring food on a fast day. Protein and veggies--low carbs. Protein consists of low-fat cottage cheese (don't seem to like full-fat cc anymore); 1/2 can of tuna or 2 large sardines in mustard sauce; always well-seasoned scrambled eggs at dinner. Veggies are usually diced tomatoes or sauteed zucchini; sometimes a small tangerine sneaks in there. Usually I have enough calories left for a small square of dark chocolate for a treat :lol:

OH fixes all his own meals when I'm fasting (or just don't feel like cooking) What a man! :cool:

I try to keep busy on a fast day with standing appointments so that I'm out of the house and not thinking about food.
Moogie wrote: In a bid to learn a bit more about our community's fasting habits, motivations and other interesting foody/fasting stuff we're going to be running a poll each week and would appreciate it if you could take a moment to cast your vote on the matter!

For our fifth poll, we are asking:

Feel free to reply to explain your answer further, especially if how you found it isn't listed!

Over to you!

I don't really cook as such. Usually scrambled egg (no butter or milk) or small tin vegetable soup for lunch. And ham salad for evening meal. Maybe cup of tea and one biscuit if calorie count allows! Greatest calorie friendly discoveries are raw carrot, and rice cakes ( my favourites are cheese or caramel).
I needed a combination of 'cook from scratch' and 'prepared in advance'. :) I make the breakfasts in advance (fish savouries, egg savouries, and a selection of vegetables); lunch is usually soup that I made and froze or a fish savoury; dinner is from scratch or an assembly of items that I've already prepared or previously frozen.
I'm currently a fan of the 5:2 dhal that I make in bulk and freeze, and add fresh spinach/broccoli to it after it is defrosted. Last time I made it I only had browny-green lentils, and that has made it even more filling. So I eat that most fast days. That leaves enough calories for milk in tea.
Thank you so much to whoever posted the link to it ages ago!
(In 19 months of fasting, I've only really eaten the same four fast day meals with just the occasional bit of inspiration thrown in...)
I eat mostly raw, high water foods with some cooked vegetables and protein for dinner. I do not eat any carbohydrates and rarely eat fruit on fast days. I do have breakfast and lunch, they consist of the raw, high water, salad type foods. I have not had the courage to go all day until dinner with only fluids. That's a goal for the future. :)
The reason I chose "mostly prepare ahead of time" is because I eat a big salad on the evening of my fast. On Monday I boil eggs, make dressing, and prep veggies which we have on my fasting MWF.
I am not good at calculating calories. So bought some 5:2 recipe books. Sort out a breakfast and dinner to have on 5:2 days Shop for ingredients Friday, Monday follow the recipe and save the other half of the recipe for Thursday.
I actually enjoy the recipes from these books and think of these days as my feast days. The recipes all turn out well (I am not a good cook) and the taste is fantastic. So I feel my Thursday is classed as "take-away". Take away from fridge and reheat.
tenshi
I have been eating the same meal each fast for a few months. This keeps me from thinking about what to eat on fast days or even looking forward to the meal. What I eat is nutritionally complete and filling, but boring. This fits in with the idea that Stephan Guyenet stresses about low "food reward' foods are easier to diet with because of the effect on the brain of dull food.

The meals are worked out with nutrition software so that I am getting enough protein and vitamins C and A and I know the exact calories. I always start with a homemade thin soup (using Trader Joe's broth). Usually I end with a 0% Greek Yogurt with sugar-free flavoring. Right now I'm having a 1 slice of bread ham and cheese sandwich as my main course. Before it was a chicken slaw stir fry or a tuna and veggie mixture.
Two poached eggs with two slices of home made bread toasted.
I've been fasting for two years and have this every fast day. Easy, no thinking and I still really enjoy it.
Had a wee spell of lowering carbs and had some foul mesdames with the eggs. Really tasty and filling too. I've just not had them recently.
Beloved has eggs too although he's not fasting- easy to do something more filling and add stuff. Omelette, do the poached eggs on potato scones or cakes etc.
Works for us.
Interested in the 5:2 dhal @Annurca Is the recipe on here? WOuld you mind sharing it please?
Mondays i cook a meal for Dh and I usually it the summer it has been chicken and salad or Gnocchi. On Thursdays I have been having egg and ham salad as DH eats at work so doesn't mind a salad for tea. As it gets colder I shall either have an omelette or baked egg and spinach.
http://www.london-unattached.com/recipe ... -dahl-ish/
@Janeg Fiona Maclean gives a lot of 5:2 recipes but this is the only one I've made so far!
It's nicer with the dollop of yoghurt, which is how I serve it to my OH, but I tend not to have the yoghurt on fast days. I freeze it without the spinach in it, and add the green veg on the day.
I hope you enjoy it too!
I feel like I picked the 'not quite right' category. I make breakfast, if I eat it. The 2nd meal would be home made, mostly, but out of my own leftovers or frozen ahead.
thanks @Annurca i'll de-tomato that and give it a go. looks good
25 posts Page 1 of 2