The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Well, I've reached my goal.

I started 5:2 just over a year ago with a modest hope: to stop putting on any more weight. And not to develop diabetes and spend my last decade in a wheelchair like my father. I'd watched my weight creep up a pound or two or three a year and really felt powerless to stop it. Then I heard someone talking about the Horizon programme, found it on i-player and thought I'd give it a go. Somehow it just clicked the "I can do this" switch in my brain.

I cut a few corners to get 5:2 to a shape I felt I could do forever. This meant 2 days a week, not actually fasting but just eating as little as I could which turned out to be about 600-700 calories, and absolutely no restrictions on the other 5 days. After some months I noticed clothes getting looser and so stepped on the scales, to receive a pleasant surprise. A few more months and while my weight was still slowly reducing, sticking to my lean days was beginning to be a bit of a struggle. So I googled for inspiration and found this site, which has been a huge support ever since, thank you everyone!

I then tracked my progress for a while before thinking about a goal weight. I never would have thought 9 stone was achievable, but once I could see it in view, I thought it would be nice to be just below it, so I set a goal of 8 stone 13. I've reached this at exactly the same time as my waist more or less got to 50% (I say more or less because I have to give the tape measure a bit of a squeeze to get it to that at my navel, but I'm a couple of inches below the 50% at my narrowest middle). So I take that as a sign that 8 stone 13 is a good weight for me as well as being a nice number.

The last pound has taken me 7 weeks! Which shows that my version of 5:2 is, just about, balancing calories in and out. So that means I will be doing it forever.

This does seem a little daunting. It would be nice to say, right, goal reached, let's try 6:1. But I think I have watered down 5:2 already to the point that this is what I will have to do for the rest of my life.

So here I make my commitment: this WOE(or some equally effective variation) is what I will be doing for the rest of my life. For the rest of my life. For the rest of my long, healthy, active, slim, attractive, stylish-clothes-wearing, happy, size-10-to-12, active, slim (did I mention that already?), energetic, cheerful-clothes-shopping, confident, sleek, lightly-stepping, svelte, slender, oh-all-right-I-admit-it smug, long healthy active life!!

And furthermore, I am going to post here once every month what the scales say, so there will be no slipping back.

Thank you!

kl
Congratulations and welcome to the club! I met goal in August and have maintained and even lost a little. I hope all goes well for you on your journey forward, and be sure to stay in touch here!
Congratulations! That's fantastic!

You can also consider either 6:1 and a day or two of 16:8, or a few days of 16:8 for maintenance. I believe those are also popular options that work for some people.
I was actually thinking of doing a maintenance survey. To find out what people have been up to and what has worked and what they've tried that didn't work. I will talk to Caroline and Moogie.

In any case, congratulations! It's an excellent achievement!!
Congratulations! I will be looking for your monthly posts :geek:

I hope you find what works best for you for maintenance and that you keep the weight off forever!!!!! :smile: :clover: :clover: :clover:
kentishlass - that's fantastic - G.O.A.L - well done you, great achievement... hard work and dedication has got you to exactly where you want to be. Really pleased for you. Will be looking out for your monthly posts too :party:
Oh BIG congratulations! I've just beaten you to target by two days so I SOOOO know how you are feeling right now. Only my target was a whole stone more than yours! Very well done on reaching your destination, it's a helluva journey isn't it.... think how much healthier we probably are too!! :)
Congratulations! That is brilliant :)
Many thanks kentishlass :heart:
That was such an inspirational story and fantastic result :heart:
Good. Luck down there in maintainance. :clover: Sue. :clover:
Brilliant! And a great account of your experience, well done! :victory:
Smug away, you deserve it. I think you goal reaching, maintainers should form a club.
Hi KL, great stuff!

I've been maintaining for about 12 months now, and I echo everything you say about how you feel - this WOL is great and I intend to fast at least once a week for the rest of my life!
Well done you, enjoy that smug feeling, it's going to be with you for a long while so you'll have to get used to it!

I reached goal in August & I'm still feeling smug :)

(my graph isn't dissimilar to yours debbiejgb)
Hi Kentishlass.

Many congratulations on reaching your goal.

You go for it girl. Jump up and down. Shout it loud. You deserve it.

Lesley
Be a smug as you like..you deserve it!
What a great success story,well done you!
Bask in smugness;0)that is fab news x
18 posts Page 1 of 2