The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Low carb, loosing too much
01 Nov 2013, 09:36
Since my injuryhttp://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/benefits-side-effects-f28/5-2-low-carb-bleeding-t9237.html 10 days ago, I've gone from very physically active to a sedentary coach potato, sleeping 10 hours a day instead of 5 and only taking some short, slow and painful walks. I basically feel 30 years older (a good reminder, the importance of investing in good health, you take it for granted while you have it.).

To deal with the anemia I've been eating more, less fasting. Still mainly low carb, but bread a few times at breakfast, even some wine and dessert at dinner during weekdays to cheer myself up after an uneventful day.

So, I expected increased body fat and weight gain. I avoided the scales.

Instead, this morning it turns out I've lost well below my alarm level of 70 kg, to my surprise the body fat hadn't increased much (perhaps it will).

I'd conclude low carb, with a lot of fat, is more efficient for weight loss than I thought, even if you're not going full throttle.

I've been seeing quite a few posts with people wondering about plateaus and disappointing results lately.

Perhaps it's very different for different people, but I figure it shouldn't be that much of sacrifice, if any, to replace grain bread with a flaxseed version; pasta, rice and potatoes with white cabbage, zucchini or other vegetables. How could you avoid losing weight?
Re: Low carb, loosing too much
01 Nov 2013, 09:49
Hi Michael. Sorry to hear the recovery is slow, but still losing :like: I know what you mean about feeling like it ages you. I had an illness earlier in the year and could not work out for more than 3 months. My hamstrings tightened, and I got stiff and creaky. I gained weight..., but this was before I found this WOE.

Now onto low carb. If you have time on your hands, try this http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/ ... o-and-scd/ I made it last night. Assuming you slice it into 12 portions, it works out at 92 cals a slice and 5g of carb. I didn't add the honey - it doesn't need it, so if you add honey, then you need to allow for that.
01 Nov 2013, 10:22
Men luckily have the ability (and physiology) to lose weight at a consistent rate, whereas women seem not to :0(
We struggle on, however :0)
01 Nov 2013, 11:01
Azureblue wrote: Men luckily have the ability (and physiology) to lose weight at a consistent rate, whereas women seem not to :0(
We struggle on, however :0)

Hmm.., after googling a little about the men vs women thing, at first it seems like you're obviously right.

On the other hand, there are arguments against such claims as well, http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Baseless-claims-its-harder-for-women-to-lose-weight.aspx

My best guess though, men have an easier time. Testosterone, muscle mass, bigger lungs making exercise less stressful, also craving steaks instead of cakes. It should make a difference.
01 Nov 2013, 15:08
I have also found that the low carb/high fat combination has improved my health. Each week I buy 8 courgettes/zucchini and either cook them two at a time in olive oil (1tbs max) or boil them and put grated cheddar cheese (40g) on top - eaten before it has time to melt! My skin is much softer,my eyes are shinier and my teeth feel much stronger and I put this down to the regular 'fat' intake.
01 Nov 2013, 16:20
Hi I am really interested in a low carb diet as my diets seems to be quite high in carbs ( I Love bread, rice etc) but I am happy to change this only I have no idea what to replace it with! Could you please give me some ideas of what to have low carb for breakfast/lunch/dinner/fruits/ veg/snacks etc? And what to avoid? I would be most grateful.
Katie x
01 Nov 2013, 16:49
For breakfast I replace bread with this flaxseed "bread", http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/5-2-cookery-f29/low-carb-flax-seed-bread-experiment-t8819.html, very quick and simple

For various meals, together with meat or what it might be, instead of rice or potatoes, I often use a lot of zucchini and various above ground vegetables, put them in an oven form with some coconut fat, chicken stock, salt, garlic, olives or whatever and cook it looks nice enough.

Instead of spagetti I slice white cabbage thinly, cook them for a few minutes with a lot of salt. Zucchini slices are great for lasagna, use feta cheese instead of bechamel sauce.

For snacks I have olives, nuts; my favorourite is roasted pumpkin seed with shells and all, cheese, that flaxseed bread with high quality french unpasteurized butter, I botanize in the delicacy department a lot as well, various salamis or whatever exciting stuff I might find. Since I eat less than before I figure I can as well pay a little extra for the fun stuff.

It's not very complicated really, just find something nice and chewy and experiment. My girlfriend and others who haven't really bothered about the low carb thing have all eaten it happily, no one seems to miss the carbs.
01 Nov 2013, 16:56
Whatkatiedid wrote: Hi I am really interested in a low carb diet as my diets seems to be quite high in carbs ( I Love bread, rice etc) but I am happy to change this only I have no idea what to replace it with! Could you please give me some ideas of what to have low carb for breakfast/lunch/dinner/fruits/ veg/snacks etc? And what to avoid? I would be most grateful.
Katie x

Hi Katie, eggs are great for breakfast. I'm a low carber and have been recording what I eat on my blog if that gives you some ideas.. Don't forget to check out FatDog too. She has some fabulous dishes.
01 Nov 2013, 17:23
Thanks Michael and Karen. I shall be starting low carb from tomorrow and will definitely be making the low carb bread/cracker version. Will also search fat dog for recipes/ideas.
Katie x
PS what about wine??!!!!
01 Nov 2013, 17:45
I have something like this ;

Mushroom and tomato omelette for breakfast, cooked with butter (my absolute favorite meal of the day)

Cold chicken with salad and mayo for lunch (today I had it with chilli peanut butter, which was lush)

Pre dinner nibbles of olives and goats cheese

Dinner : Homemade meat balls with spicy tomato sauce, on a bed of cooked shredded cabbage, with a few glasses of wine

The wine no doubt slows weight loss down, but it can be included.

I don't eat much fruit, as I try to buy local and seasonal, which eliminates a lot. I do have berries in the summer, and English plums/apples, but not many, as I tend not to snack much
01 Nov 2013, 17:55
Thanks minumonline
I love omelettes but don't often have them. Are there a limit on how many eggs you can have a week? I don't often have breakfast but could have it for dinner. And homemade meatballs sound delis! I think jamie Oliver or hairy bikers have a recipe for these - I will look them out
Katie x
01 Nov 2013, 18:00
Whatkatiedid wrote: Thanks Michael and Karen. I shall be starting low carb from tomorrow and will definitely be making the low carb bread/cracker version. Will also search fat dog for recipes/ideas.
Katie x
PS what about wine??!!!!

Wine contains carbs in the form of sugars. Red is better as it doesn't seem to interfere with blood sugar too much. Better to switch to vodka or gin as its zero carb.
02 Nov 2013, 10:34
rawkaren wrote: Wine contains carbs in the form of sugars. Red is better as it doesn't seem to interfere with blood sugar too much. Better to switch to vodka or gin as its zero carb.

I checked out for example http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/#axzz2jTvVgo7w

Alcohol contains calories, going directly to the liver trumping glycogen and fat as an energy source, and of course slowing down fat loss.

It seems red wine should be the first choice, with the most polyphenols, reservatrol and other antioxidants, about five to ten times as much as white wine, with some substantial health benefits. Some say expensive wine are supposed to have more benefits than the cheap stuff, unclear if that's true in general, but if you really want the highest content of antioxidants Pinot Noir grapes should be best. I would guess the strength of the colour and taste should correlate fairly well with the health benefits.

Brown booze like whiskey and cognac have health benefits from the wood aging, as does tequila.

Vodka added to fresh or frozen berries is supposed to boost their antioxidant activity.

Avoid beer and sugary drinks completely.

Hmm.., interesting, this really should have had its own thread.
02 Nov 2013, 11:11
Hope you are healing Michael, terrific thread thanks
16 posts Page 1 of 2