The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Maintenance plan, sort of...
09 Oct 2013, 07:57
So, I guess I'm in maintenance since about three weeks now, sort of. I don't want to loose more weight, but I've not reached the goal of getting my body fat somewhere around 10-13 %.

Getting to 10-13 % body fat wouldn't be a problem with this diet alone, but I'm already bordering on looking skinny.

My weight drops faster than my body fat. I have to exercise, build muscle mass. 10-13 % is supposed to signify you're fit, and you're unlikely to get fit without actually working for it.

Luckily, I don't hate the gym as much as I expected, this GymPact app has also been a great help. I've reduced the cardio to running every second morning, and started going to the gym instead. I'll get rid of my rowing machine, it was great, but the gym turned out to be a better option after all.

My fitness goal is basically to be able to run 15-20 km with ease, to be able to run faster than the guy next to me if someone is chasing us with a knife, to be functionally strong, to be able to lift heavy things or get myself or someone else out of trouble if necessary, and to look obviously fit without too much bulk. This level of fitness is supposed to be based on a sound, solid and sustainable exercise habit, going on autopilot.

I've switched my eating to low carb, with exceptions for weekends where I drink perhaps 2-3 bottles of wine and have some snacks, that might very well have plenty of carbs.

I have to start eating more during the week eating days, to keep the weight from dropping.

I also decided I'll celebrate with something nice when I reach those 13 % body fat. Yesterday I had to be without my glasses. I happened to look in the mirror and was surprised how much better I looked without them and all this pre 5:2 facial fat.

So yes, I'll treat myself with contact lenses just for vanity reasons. I spend money on clothes anyway, so there's no problem rationalizing the expense.
Sounds like a plan!

Can I ask, what is your body fat percentage now? You must be nearly there?!
Oh, I thought it was visible from my progress chart. It's around 14-15 %, dropped from around 20-21 % this summer.
OK, now my weight is dropping too much. I don't want to be under 70 kg tomorrow, my girlfriend is getting worried.

I'm skipping this Thursday fast, it'll have to be a 6:1 week, or perhaps I'll skip dinner and have my last meal for the day at around 2 PM, making it into a 16:8 day.

Seems like this low carb thing has considerable effect.
I suspect Tim Ferriss is utterly bats (that's my opinion, so not actionable, I hope!) and I've yet to read his '4 hour body' from cover to cover but I've dipped and methinks his exercise stuff might be of use to you. And, as someone on the look-out for a maintenance strategy myself, I do rather like the idea of 'slow carb' and love his binge day. Might be worth checking your library / charity stores for it? Good luck :) FatDog
I've had some quick looks at Tim Ferris. Some good things there for sure, but scary, yes. I'll check him out again.

Right now I'm getting quite comfortable with the morning gym routine, but would like to focus as much as possible on functional strength and fitness, this MovNat was a bit inspiring, http://www.movnat.com/.

But I don't know, climbing trees and jumping on cliffs half naked alone early in the morning would be slightly odd, and right out dangerous. Not adviceable at my age, and I'll just settle for adding some improvised exercises during my morning runs, jumping over some obstacles, some balancing acts and things like that.

But I just found a Krav Maga class close to me, and will check it out. Should be excellent work out along the lines with what I'm after, hopefully it will fit into my schedule.
6 posts Page 1 of 1