The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

35 posts Page 1 of 3
Chia seeds
06 Apr 2013, 14:22
Anybody tried these - I heard about them on another internet page they sell them in Holland ns Barret they are supposed to be very good for you and when added to cooked porridge, yogurt or soups or even water they swell once digested making you feel fuller for much longer>?
Re: Chia seeds
06 Apr 2013, 15:22
Contain quite a lot of fat if I'm not mistaken.
06 Apr 2013, 15:23
yep, used them in shakes and on yoghurt and the like. Low carb, high fat, fairly high fibre. Can also mill them and use like milled flax / linseed.

Adding water to the seeds makes a sort of wallpaper paste / frogspawn which does add to texture / bulk.
06 Apr 2013, 15:30
Can get them off Amazon too. Used by Paleo people.
06 Apr 2013, 19:50
I add them to my morning yogurt. I love them and have been using them for several years.
06 Apr 2013, 20:02
I have used chia seeds in the past to help with going #2.....if you know what I mean. Mix 5 Tablespoons chia seeds in 2 cups of cold water. Stir off and on for 30 minutes or so. It will thicken....It looks funny but tastes ok. Nutty. Will last 2 weeks in refriguator. Take one or two big spoonfuls daily with a big glass of water (important). It has helped in the past and is kind of off and on with the 4/3 I am doing. Maybe it's my lesser intake of food. May work better with the 5/2.
06 Apr 2013, 21:42
I eat them. My standard breakfast for both fast and feed days is rolled oats and chia seeds soaked in almond milk....no cooking. It does keep me full until lunch. I suspect they are part of the reason that I haven't had constipation like some people have experienced on 5:2.
06 Apr 2013, 21:52
Interesting!
Does anybody know how many calories they have?
06 Apr 2013, 21:58
Never mind, I found them! Are they used for baking?
07 Apr 2013, 01:40
Hiya calories not too bad and full of nutrients too - and yep TML13 they are used in cooking. Also a bonus if they keep you regular I'd say :)
07 Apr 2013, 02:42
I eat them every day! (hello, I'm new here!)

I soak mine with oats in soy milk overnight, and then in the morning I mix in grated apple, other fresh fruit, hemps seeds, sliced almonds and greek yogurt. Power breakfast!
07 Apr 2013, 05:34
I use them in cooking/baking. When making zucchini fritters I throw in a spoon or two into the batter. Also when baking bread, add to dough. As they absorb moisture if you add a lot you may need to increase the liquid in your recipe to compensate.

Hths.
07 Apr 2013, 06:59
Yes, take them all the time. They are a superfood with more Omega 3 and 6 than flax (important to know for vegetarians and vegans). Eaten widely by the native peoples of the Southwest and known to support endurance and fitness.
07 Apr 2013, 07:17
tompan wrote: Yes, take them all the time. They are a superfood with more Omega 3 and 6 than flax (important to know for vegetarians and vegans). Eaten widely by the native peoples of the Southwest and known to support endurance and fitness.

Thats great news tompan even more reason to use them in my daily regime :)

HeleninBC wrote: I eat them every day! (hello, I'm new here!)

I soak mine with oats in soy milk overnight, and then in the morning I mix in grated apple, other fresh fruit, hemps seeds, sliced almonds and greek yogurt. Power breakfast!

Wow Helen that sounds awesome kind of a swiss bircher recipe will have to give that a go!

TheFrog wrote: I use them in cooking/baking. When making zucchini fritters I throw in a spoon or two into the batter. Also when baking bread, add to dough. As they absorb moisture if you add a lot you may need to increase the liquid in your recipe to compensate.

Hths.

Will have to google some recipes for them :)
07 Apr 2013, 10:06
Although they are good for you with their high omega 3 etc content, they have no magic health giving properties so beware of the hype. See here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22830971 and here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19628108
35 posts Page 1 of 3