The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
16:8
02 Sep 2013, 21:40
I'm new to this (two weeks in) and learning a lot from this forum. I get 5:2, 4:3, 6:1 but what is 16:8?
Re: 16:8
02 Sep 2013, 22:39
Hi Wmr309 and welcome!

16:8 is hours in the day - 16 hours fasting only, and then eating only during an 8 hour window.
02 Sep 2013, 22:49
I need more of a door, rather than a window. Perhaps a trough. ;)
02 Sep 2013, 23:00
But you can cheat by eating/drinking up to 40 calories outside the 8 hours window. 16:8 ROCKS!!!
02 Sep 2013, 23:11
I may try 16:8 a little further down the road. I've already deviated to consuming only water on the two fasting days. I'm curious to see if there are any additional benefits.

I remember reading a post where a bloke wrote to the researchers who were featured in Dr. Mosley's Horizon show. The neurologist recommended a longer stretch between any caloric intake. So far, it's no more difficult than consuming 500-600 kcals. In fact, not having to think about food does help a bit.
03 Sep 2013, 17:34
Hi Wmr309,

Welcome to the forum. If you go to, the 'Home' page, scrolll down to the bottom, on the right hand side you will find a box named 'Most Viewed Topics' second one down is '5:2 + 8 hour diet + 16/8' and there you will find a wealth of information about 16/8, so, fill your boots and good luck, oh, and if you are bored, the third item in that box is about life in France as you never knew it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
03 Sep 2013, 18:53
TML13 wrote: But you can cheat by eating/drinking up to 40 calories outside the 8 hours window. 16:8 ROCKS!!!

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the newly converted are always the most evangelical, wouldn't you agree @Ballerina? :razz: :razz: :razz: !!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, so pleased you have come round to 16:8 @TML :cool: :cool: :cool: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
03 Sep 2013, 19:00
Seconded :grin: :lol: :grin:

04 Sep 2013, 06:30
After looking at they way a very slim co-worker eats (not at all til lunchtime), I'm adding 16:8 from mon-fri to my 5:2.yesterday was a bit tough but I got there. Am doing my second weekly fast today instead of tomorrow so will see how I go thurs/fri.
04 Sep 2013, 06:35
TML13 wrote: But you can cheat by eating/drinking up to 40 calories outside the 8 hours window. 16:8 ROCKS!!!

I didn't know that! I have to take some medicine in the morning "with food". Hmm... 16:8 might be doable then.
04 Sep 2013, 10:51
I think I pretty much do this already, if I am reading it right.I havent ate breakfast in years. I tend to only eat between about 3pm and 9pm. Mind I scoff the full 2000 calories during that time..I always thought this was more likely to make me put weight on tbh
04 Sep 2013, 21:09
Yes, 16:8 will only work if you don't overeat during the 8 hours. It could be that it works better as an add-on to 5:2 or as a maintenance plan after losing the weight through 5:2 because the fasting with only 500 cals twice a week changes the way we deal with hunger and seems to reduce the size of one's stomach so one can't eat big meals. So, for me, having lost 20 kg with 5:2, when I tried 16:8 I found I was only able to manage small meals my lunch and dinner were no bigger than when I used to eat breakfast. I enjoyed just doing 16:8 during the school holidays and lost a further 7 kg, but I wonder if the effect would wear off if I continued it without having two low calorie days a week as well?
05 Sep 2013, 16:37
I went onto 16/8 after I reached my target weight with 5:2 as I could not face a lifetime of counting calories, even for 1 day a week how sad is that? The thing is, I lost a further 7 lbs without trying and without restricting what I eat, EVER! My weight is now incredibly stable, I neither lose nor gain weight (still 7lbs under target) and never count calories or do without so, for me at least, 16/8 is spectacularly successful but I realise that, like everything else in life, what works for one will not necessarily work for another, but hey, it's all worth a try! :victory:

07 Sep 2013, 15:35
I deffo prefer the calorie counting than a lifetime without breaky but I might try 16:8 for 5 days a week when I reach my target.
14 posts Page 1 of 1