The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 v 4:3
07 Oct 2013, 11:19
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone know how much of a difference there is in weight losing going 4:3 versus the weight lost on 5:2? I've been losing about 3lb a week doing 5:2 but I'm worried my body would go into starvation if I added another day -since I don't eat my full calorie quota on my feed days. Is there a work around for this (eating more calories?)
Thanks all!
Love and peace,
Dreamer x
Re: 5:2 v 4:3
07 Oct 2013, 11:35
You're doing fine, more than the average of 1lb a week, don't over-think it. You can always do a half fast on an extra day, as in don't eat before noon, if you really feel the need but do ensure you eat to your TDEE, keeping protein to around 50g a day, and carbs around 100g a day on feed days.
Carorees will be along soon to clue you in hopefully!
Take care :0)
07 Oct 2013, 11:53
For me the jury's still out. Changed from 5:2 to 4:3 a few weeks ago and I cant say that I've noticed a real change in weight loss - if any. I thought I'd at least be losing a pound a week but I didnt with 5:2 and looks like I wont with 4:3. I will persevere though as I think I should give it more time. Saying that my hubby said yesterday that I was looking really slim. I dont see it myself.
07 Oct 2013, 12:18
If you have a look at the tracker, the difference in weight loss between 5:2 and 4:3 comes to be 100g a week! 0.43kg for 5:2 and 0.53kg for 4:3.
Now, there are less people tracking who are doing 4:3 so it may not be representative. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
From a personal point of view, I have switched to 4:3 as my loss is glacially slow. I've been 5:2/4:3ing for nearly a year now and it's always been slow.
I switched to 4:3 to try and kick start and have found that the loss is very slow but steady and I find 3 days of fasting fits in easily. I really don't want to count calories and obsess.
If you're losing well- and 3lbs a week is phenomenal, I don't really see the point in adding another fast. If/when things slow down then it may be worth while shaking things up and another day can be part of that.
SOunds as though you should just keep doing what you're doing! :D
07 Oct 2013, 12:24
I changed to 4:3 when my weight loss started to slow down, but at 3 lbs a weekI would think you are losing fast enough :like: I find fast days fairly easy but probably eat too much on feed days, so I reckon for me the balance is about right. Might I suggest that you save 4:3 for future use if need be.
Hah - now see janeg has said much the same thing!
07 Oct 2013, 16:36
Thanks guys! I guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing then. Once I slow down I will then have a go at 4:3. Thank you all for the advice xx
07 Oct 2013, 22:20
You beat me to it dreamer :heart:
My advice was to use the 4:3 as + when you need to because you are losing well, I've done 4:3 from the start because I've loads to shift
and truly believe this has helped me with my phenomenal success.
When I thought I'd hit the plateau I checked my feed day calories and guess what too many treats had crept back into my days.
I also threw in one day @ 16:8 and cut my carbs on fastdays so one or both kickstarted my weightloss again, all we can say is our personal preference + choose what works to us as individuals :heart:
Good. Luck and don't be in too big a hurry because your doing very
well indeed and you have the tools to make any necessary
adjustments to your days. :clover: Sue. :clover:
07 Oct 2013, 22:56
I say the same as everyone else Dreamer, Keep the 4:3 in the bank until you need it. You certainly don't need it yet hun, your doing great. Why put more pressure on yourself. Relax, that's the beauty of this WOL.
Dee :)
07 Oct 2013, 22:58
P.S. It was me stressing last week. oops!!
08 Oct 2013, 00:02
I have dabbled with 4:3, but my weight loss is consistent and more than acceptable. I am concerned that I am not eating enough on feed days. I still have oodles of energy saying that, and I have developed this listen to my body when I am hungry on feed days rather than plan to get to my feed day max intake.
08 Oct 2013, 01:38
Hi:

Going to 4:3 from 5:2 makes, on average, a 7 oz. difference each week: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6600.html

Don't worry about starvation mode - it is an urban myth. Otherwise, people that ate noting would lose no weight. But they lose more than any people that are eating.

Good Luck!
11 posts Page 1 of 1