The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Accidental dishonesty...
12 May 2014, 09:18
I was looking through my old posts and blogs last night and realized that I've not mentioned once a very large part of my life, in fact one of the most important parts of my life, I've not said once that I'm a type 1 Diabetic, rather vital part of my life really isn't it, and I've not even mentioned it in passing! :doh:

I feel bad for not having told anyone about it on here, but I didn't hide it on purpose, in fact I had thought I'd said about it, but apparently not! So, I'm going to start again!

Hello there, i'm Sarah, 25, from Essex, I'm married with a 2 (3 at the end of the month) year old daughter, I enjoy cooking, gardening, reading and playing games on the computer, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS, and I am an insulin dependent type one diabetic since birth, in fact at the time of my diagnoses (10 months old in 1989) it's believed I was the youngest person diagnosed with it in the whole of East Anglia!

My control isn't great but thanks to the 5:2 way of life it's very slowly heading in the right direction. Some of you may throw your arms in the air and say "but surely the 5:2 is bad for diabetics?!" It is if done without the knowledge of the relevant doctors who help keep you on track, but my doctors, consultants and nurses all know and are helping me make sure to not go hypo on fast days and have repercussions on non fast days.

The 5:2 has helped in more ways than just loosing weight, it's helping me to make safer food choices on non fast days, so now, instead of reaching for biscuits for snacks, I reach for an apple or banana, if I do go hypo, I go for the milk or orange juice instead of Lucozade or chocolate! I know that I should do this already, but before I started the WOL I was a "I don't really care, if it helps it helps" kind of diabetic, which was effecting my health badly, but doing this has helped me see what I was doing and firmly stop it, I do still have bad times, my will power isn't fantastic so I do have the odd Milkyway bar or swig of lucozade, but now instead of enjoying it and wanting more, I can happily let Sofia steal my chocolate and not get another, or have a small glass of lucozade instead of half a bottle.

I do apologies for not having told anyone about being Diabetic, I am a wally and a prune with a bad memory!
Re: Accidental dishonesty...
12 May 2014, 09:36
Oh @DragonsHeart, I thought you were going to admit taking a bite here and a slurp there on fast days! I must admit to licking the lid on the toddlers yoghurt this morning!
My sis is type 1, we think! She has a nearly 3 year old too and was initially diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but it never left her. She was a competitive swimmer in her youth, so possibly managed it with diet and exercise without knowing.

In Ireland she was given loads of insulin. She is now in Germany and her diabetes management has changed. Its much more diet/excercise focused and insulin is secondary. They reckon she was given so much insulin before that she became resistant. Her hubby has Chrons and it was a similar story for him and steroids. Irish medicine is very much drug orientated, where as a good diet can be just as effective (or at least, help the drugs do their job so you need less) for many ailments.
Re: Accidental dishonesty...
12 May 2014, 09:38
So glad to know @Dragonsheart that you are finding that 5:2 is helping you to manage your diabetes.

Although we discourage people who need insulin to control their diabetes (i.e., Type 1 and those Type 2s whose condition has progressed to needing insulin), with the correct training in adjusting insulin doses, it is as you have found, possible to fast successfully. It would be really helpful to know your tips or advice for others who might be contemplating trying fasting. For example, I think it is vital that your doctor and other members of the team are informed and happy that you are fasting, so one tip would be how to convince your doctor that it is a good idea! Another is what kind of changes in insulin doses you find you need and does it vary from fast day to fast day. Also has fasting resulted in any changes in insulin needs on non-fast days?

I'm so glad you were able to 'come out of the closet' even if you didn't know you were in there! :lol:
3 posts Page 1 of 1